Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kalinda

Is now the right time for my YTT

8 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

So I know there are a few threads with people asking whether or not to do their YTT, but I'd love some input in my situation.

Yoga has been a big part of my life for about 2 years, and I've been finding for a while now that I really, really want to know more, and immerse myself more, and the want to do my YTT has been getting stronger.  I would probably end up doing some yoga teaching, however the main reason I feel so compelled to do it is for myself.  I have just finished high school, and have deferred Uni to take a Gap year. Logistically, it makes sense. I have researched the course I would want to do, and can afford it and have the time to dedicate to it. Almost everything is telling me to just do it, however, I am being held back by fear, I think. I am young and in addition to my grounded, peaceful side that I feel my yoga plays a part in, I have part of me that likes to go out and party, and drink etc... When I'm feeling that aspect of my personality more strongly, the idea of YTT scares the hell out of me because of how I'll change, and I worry that I won't have a lot in common with most of my friends anymore. But then when I'm feeling grounded and secure, I feel like that side of me isn't very authentic, and I'm only behaving in that way because I feel like I SHOULD have that wild crazy time of my youth. But then I just don't know. I'm feeling quite torn at the moment, and would love your thoughts. xx

YogaByCandace likes this

Do you know the people where you would be taking your training? There is teacher training everywhere that make themselves look wonderful but aren't. 

I think, provided you choose a good teacher training as Anahata pointed out, only good things can come from taking a teacher training. You won't change who you are at your core from the teacher training. I know plenty of yoga teachers who enjoy going out just as much as they enjoy a well rounded yoga class. Your true friends will encourage you to do what your heart tells you, and will welcome you back with open arms upon your return. Just be sure you're picking a high quality training.

Just now, YogaByCandace said:

.... Just be sure you're picking a high quality training.

Okay, I figure I'll ask...how does one determine whether the training is good or bad? Might people who took, what some might describe as an inferior class, not realize it and give a great recommendation? 

YogaByCandace likes this

Yes, someone might give it a great review, but I wouldn't go on reviews alone. Trainings are thousands and thousands of dollars, and big money-makers for yoga teachers. I wouldn't spend that kind of money unless I'd had some personal experience with the teachers themselves prior - either in the form of an in-person class, or at the very least, an online class. Here are some other tips.

LarryD517 likes this

18 hours ago, LarryD517 said:

Okay, I figure I'll ask...how does one determine whether the training is good or bad? Might people who took, what some might describe as an inferior class, not realize it and give a great recommendation? 

What is good for one person may be wrong for another. Not even considering all the other possibilities. Yoga has to make sense and it has to work, for you. Before there was yoga teacher training on every corner a person would practice with and get to know a teacher for a few years. Then start the teaching process themselves. That part is largely missing today so the outcome is more random.

Are you thinking about becoming a teacher Larry?

YogaByCandace likes this

On 2/11/2017 at 8:44 AM, Anahata said:

...Are you thinking about becoming a teacher Larry?

Nah, in this case I'm playing the role of moderator and taking (actually, moving) this conversation to the next level. 

In all modesty, with all the studying I've been doing (watching YouTube vids, reading blogs, participating in conversations, etc.,) I feel I've already completed quite a few training courses.

In my case, sadly, the mind understands the poses at a far higher level than the body can display...what I mean to say l is, I know what to do, I can't do it..YET!!!

YogaByCandace likes this

So you are working to become very knowledgeable but you are not ridiculously flexible. Isn't that the perfect qualifications to teach beginners?