Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jake

Essential Oils

7 posts in this topic

I wasn't sure where exactly to post this - I hope it's in the right spot... 

My mom has a friend who sells essential oils, so she asked me if I wanted any, and offered to buy them. So of course I said yes :)

I got Peppermint and Lavender - and so far I have only done the following:

• Dabbed the peppermint on my temples when I had a headache
  • Mixed both oils in a spray bottle with some water for a really nice scent

My questions to everyone here are: 

• What do you use essential oils for?
  • What are your favorites?
  • What should I try?

Thanks! 

Yogabliss likes this

Great topic! I wrote a post about how to use essential oils, and how to use essential oils to boost mood. Mostly, I just use them in the bath though. Lavender and peppermint you can inhale (put on a wet cloth and inhale or put a few drops in hot water and then put your face over the bowl and inhale). Lavender is excellent for relaxation and peppermint is good to open up the lungs if you're feeling like you're getting a cold, or it also works to sort of wake you up if you're feeling sluggish.  :54:  Would love to hear how other people use them!

Yogabliss likes this

I've used eucalyptus for cleaning my floors, and you can use it in a bowl of hot water if you have a cold, too. I've heard lemon is also great for cleaning. 

You can use those two I mentioned to prepare and extend the life of henna for anybody who is interested. 

I have peppermint sitting right here in front of me at my desk, I just like to smell it sometimes  :lol:  I also have a wheat bag with a little pocket you can stuff a cotton ball dipped in essential oil - once you heat it up you can use the oils and use it for sore muscles, cramps, or just because you're cold and it feels nice. Peppermint is also my favourite for this.

Sometimes I put a few drops of an essential oil on the shower floor before I hop in and the steam makes the room smell amazing. Another favourite of mine is lemongrass because it reminds me of my honeymoon, I put it in a burner next to my bed before I drift off to sleep sometimes. 

I'll have to check out Candace's link above, and I'd love to learn some more essential oils for yoga - whether it be a relaxing or energizing scent in the room or for cleaning the mat. I feel there's so much I have to learn about these oils!

MrBalloonHands likes this

Great topic, Jake! Lavender is my favorite, and I use it almost daily. Whenever I have a headache, it is my go-to scent. I will rub it on my temples or use a mist on my pillow. But even when I am feeling good, it just makes me happy.

Some other ways I have used essential oils: I put a pot of water on the stove (or I use an oil diffuser that plugs in) and add a few drops and let simmer (love to do this in winter with scents like cinnamon and cloves--makes the house smell warm and cozy!); I made a spray to clean my yoga mat (I looked for diy recipes online); I add a few drops to my towel for hot yoga; I add a few drops to a cup of baking soda then sprinkle it on carpeting, let it sit for a few minutes then vacuum the floor.

Another scent that goes well with peppermint is eucalyptus. I was in a restorative yoga class where the teacher put a couple drops of each on our hands. We then rubbed them together to create some heat then rubbed our temples, our foreheads, the backs of our necks, anywhere we felt tension. It was AHHmazing!!

An interesting use I recently experienced: In the yoga studio I go to, one of the teachers puts a few drops on the insoles of her feet before class. As she walks around the room, we can smell the subtle scent. 

Have fun experimenting :)  

Great topic! I wrote a post about how to use essential oils, and how to use essential oils to boost mood

Thanks for linking to these posts, Candace. So interesting to read about HOW they work! You also reminded me how much I like patchouli and sandalwood, too--will have to add them to my essential oil arsenal. And you use essential oils while teaching, too! I love when I can smell something fantastic while in savasana! 

I use mostly Youngliving Essential Oils and oils from Mountainrose Herbs. I have a pinterest board with some of the ways I use the oils. I have a nasal spray using pink himalayan salt, lavender oils and frankincense oil. My allergy bomb is equal parts of Lavender oil, Peppermint oil and Lemon oil. I have this in a bottle with a roller ball and put it on my feet under my toes daily. I have a pain rub that has coconut oil, a few drops of Valor, Peppermint and Pan Away (young living oils) mixed together and put in a glass jar (no plastic for Essential Oils) :53: . I put a couple drops each of Citrus Fresh and Grapefruit in my water bottle (again glass or metal). You have to be very careful when taking oils internally as some have additives and CANNOT be ingested :53: . I have many more on my pinterest board  http://www.pinterest.com/melmbrown/young-living-recipes/. pintewwwrest.com/melmbrown/herbal-homemade/.I use oils for pain and anxiety and have had quite a bit of luck with them. PLEASE, if you use any essential oils internally PLEASE check with the distributor to see if they are safe and without additives!!!!!!!

I've just started with essential oils so I love this topic!!

I've made a yoga mat cleaner with water, vinegar, tea tree and sweet orange.

It smells amazing and makes every day smell like summer!

yogagrammy likes this