Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yogancupcake38

New to yoga, need some tips on different levels!!

6 posts in this topic

Hello,

I've been looking for an online community for yoga to ask some questions as I am very new to it and maybe also share some experiences with people who are starting yoga as wel!! This forum seemed to be quite lively and lovely!! :)

So here we go:

I have been doing a 5-minute morning yoga routine for two weeks now. I did yoga before but very infrequently. I feel 5 minutes it fits my needs and time so far and I am enjoying it. Sometimes I do one in the evening and last weekend I also did a longer one. I've realized some things that I need some advice on :

- I find it difficult to fit my movements with my breathing, I'm not sure if it's because I'm not mastering the poses enough? So what I do basically is kind of wait for my breathing, so let's say I have changed position but I feel breathing in is unnatural in that position, I get back to my previous one, breathe in, then back to the latest and breathe out. And sometimes it feels very good to do so, like I'm "synchronized" with my body. I was thinking maybe I haven't mastered the poses enough, I plan to watch some yoga foundations videos this weekend on the poses I use most often. What do you guys think?

- Also, and this might also be a problem of mastering the poses, I end up having back of hips pains (when I do downward dog or the like). I don't think it's supposed to hurt, on the contrary, I should feel better right?

- The first time I did the sequence I felt very energized, more alive and in touch with my body. But ever since I've never really felt it again (except a little today). I'm not sure it's bringing me any benefits...Is it a matter of time or..?

- Lastly, I've been having anxiety and depression issues for 5 years now (ashamed mode on). I have a lot of difficulty expressing myself, it's very hard if not impossible for me to "feel" things, to have proper emotions (I'm not emotionless of course but there's some sort of "block" within that prevents it....it feels like an added barrier compared to everyone else lol). I haven't been able to release my emotions through talking yet. Do you know of any good sequence/poses... that could help me with this through body motion? Does yoga help with this kind of problem at all? I am also very distant from my body/not very aware of my body, and myself in general.

Thank you for your answers and also if anyone is interested in sharing their practices and experiences, let's chat !! :)

10 minutes ago, yogancupcake38 said:

Hello,

I've been looking for an online community for yoga to ask some questions as I am very new to it and maybe also share some experiences with people who are starting yoga as wel!! This forum seemed to be quite lively and lovely!! :)...

Thanks and nice to meet you!

- I find it difficult to fit my movements with my breathing,...

Don't worry about synchronizing the movements and the breathing. That will come in time, your near term goal is to how to do the poses properly. 

...- Also, and this might also be a problem of mastering the poses, I end up having back of hips pains (when I do downward dog or the like). I don't think it's supposed to hurt, on the contrary, I should feel better right?...

It's not supposed to hurt. Yes, when you're using new muscles, you might hear them yelling at you...so learn to modify. If downward dog causes discomfort, bend your knees or rise up on your toes. If your budget permits, take a private lesson or two ...or attend a few classes...so you can learn proper form

...- The first time I did the sequence I felt very energized, more alive and in touch with my body. But ever since I've never really felt it again (except a little today). I'm not sure it's bringing me any benefits...Is it a matter of time or..?...

Yes, it's a matter of time. Don't over think it...in fact, don't think about it at all. Just focus on your form, think about what your asking your body to do, clear your mind, breath deeply and enjoy the poses. 

Yoga can take a lifetime to master, welcome to the journey. Be patient, relax and enjoy!

A great resource... https://www.youtube.com/user/YOGABYCANDACE

yogancupcake38 likes this

15 hours ago, LarryD517 said:

It's not supposed to hurt. Yes, when you're using new muscles, you might hear them yelling at you...so learn to modify. If downward dog causes discomfort, bend your knees or rise up on your toes. If your budget permits, take a private lesson or two ...or attend a few classes...so you can learn proper for

A great resource... https://www.youtube.com/user/YOGABYCANDACE

So ive just done some foundation videos and for puppy and downwatd dog I realize its elbows and hips that hurt....Im thinking maybe I spread them too far from one another??Im not sure.Or maybe my elbows dont suppott my body

If anyone can answer my questions about emotional release Id be happy to!!

On 2/25/2017 at 4:14 AM, yogancupcake38 said:

...If anyone can answer my questions about emotional release Id be happy to!!

You might want to visit this thread 

yogancupcake38 likes this