NenaSanchez

Pigeon pose help

7 posts in this topic

I feel tightness in my hips doing this pose but it's not painful. Does my bent leg and hip have to be fully on the floor? Also when I lean forward to rest my head on the floor my hips remain hovering avoided the floor. Any suggestions. Thanks. 

An instructor at a live class should be able to help you, if they don't, ask for sssistance. If you're doing it on your own, use a block or a folded up blanket (under hip or leg, depending on how you feel) 

IMG_0026.JPG

to provide support until you're able to bring your bent hip closer to the mat. Spend a lot of time (30 seconds to a minute) in the up position, using your straightened arms to hold your upper body in the upright position. Puff up your chest and lean back. The weight of your upper body will help open your hip. Breathe deeply and slowly, with each breath relax and see if the hip opens up. Scootch your straight leg further back. 

Then fold forward and stay here as long as you can (a few minutes). 

"prep" poses to help build up to it..

.sit up tall in office chair, on front edge, cross leg resting ankle on knee. With straight back, lean forward as far as you can go. 

.sitting on mat cross legged, pick up top leg cradling bent leg in your arms (foot in crook of elbow, knee in crook of other elbow) clasping hands. Pull leg up as high as  you can maintaining straight back, rock slowly back and forth, side to side 

yogapedia_277_06_FNL.jpg

NenaSanchez likes this

Thanks for the input as well as the pic. Very helpful and informative. I'm doing yoga in my own. I'm using namaslay book as well as the videos on the YBC app. I'm not fully able to straighten my back all the way yet, but I'm working on lower back flexibility. I'm probably not puffing out my chest enough, and when I bend back I tend to lose my balance.

7 hours ago, LarryD517 said:

...sit up tall in office chair, on front edge, cross leg resting ankle on knee. With straight back, lean forward as far as you can go...

also see this

Thanks, will definitely be trying this out. It will probably help to have good posture when sitting. 

I found out I was doing pigeon pose unsafely for a few years until a teacher put a rolled up blanket underneath the buttock of my front leg (bent leg).  I was sitting flat to the floor with hip and leg before by tilting over on my side, so my hips were not even.  The blanket helped give me some height so my hips were level.  Now I got more used to this, and I practice it without the blanket, but, still with the same gap from the floor by using my legs to support me upright.  I believe the links above using props emphasize the same alignment, so I hope they have helped you!