BrittanytheYogi

Tips for picking the RIGHT teacher training?

5 posts in this topic

Hey there!

My name is Brittany and I'm interested in starting a teacher training program. I'm even thinking of studying abroad. How do I pick the best teacher training program for me? What would you suggest are key components to the training program that I should be on the look out for? Also, is there a large difference between the 200hr training and 500hr training?

Any tips you have on how to choose a training program would be great! Thank you!

Namaste

Take some time to get to know the people really well at the training program. The yoga world is full of stories about people that had teacher training disasters. 

Hi Brittany !

First of all, congratulations for this decision ! It's a new adventure !

I think the most important (according to me) is to see the program and make sure they plan to talk about anatomy in the training.

If you can, read some testimonials or maybe find the teachers on social media and watch their practice.

The price is also a point depending of your budget.

Finally, follow your heart. Maybe meditate on it and you will get some answers. Find a training that vibrates to you.

Love xx

I completed an amazing 200-hour teacher training in May 2017, (just a few months ago.) I enjoyed the training so much. It was incredibly transformative, totally deepened my practice and improved my teaching. At times it shook me to the core and broke down all my confidence, which I think is required in a good training in order to rebuild your foundations as a teacher - especially if you've already been teaching prior to beginning your training. Ultimately I emerged feeling more confident in my ability to share yoga's best gifts with others. It took an intense amount of work, energy and determination to get through (this was a nine-month weekend program that I took in another town, requiring me to travel quite a long ways to get there once per month.) Anything worth doing is not likely to come easy, I suppose!

I know that I will eventually want to go on and earn my 500-hour certification, but I'm not sure which aspect of yoga I want to specialize in. It seems like there are a lot of directions one can go, schools one can choose from and potential paths to follow. I have noticed that the 500-hour track offerings tend to encourage Yogis to select one specific area of study. I am having a difficult time deciding where and what (aside from simply 'more yoga') calls my heart to delve into more deeply. I suppose / hope / pray the answer will come when it is time for me to take that step. Maybe what I need now is to process all that I've recently experienced and really integrate that whole part of the journey into my life as a teacher and a yogi before I jump into another training.

I agree with what YogiKris says about researching, then meditating on it and following your heart. Everything she mentioned is excellent advice for certain. And yet... when I meditate on my OWN future trainings... the answers remain murky! It's like shaking a Magic 8 Ball and being told, 'ask again later!' Ha ha.

On 3/11/2017 at 10:52 PM, BrittanytheYogi said:

...I'm interested in starting a teacher training program. I'm even thinking of studying abroad

Consider @YogaByCandace's training! 

http://yogabycandace.com/blog/200hr-intensive-namaslay-yoga-teacher-training-2018

http://yogabycandace.com/2016-2017-yoga-retreats/200hr-namaslay-yoga-teacher-training