mffirelog

Question about props in Child's Pose and Reclined Cobbler's Pose

2 posts in this topic

I'm hoping some of you can shed some light on what the hell is going on with me (and maybe you?) in a couple of poses. :D Specifically, child's pose and reclined cobbler's pose.

We all know in child's pose your butt is supposed to reach your heels, or at least get as close as possible. I've read many times people complaining that because they have tight hips, they can't reach their heels, and thus the pose is not relaxing at all, but hard work and maybe even painful. Namaslay tackles this exact issue by advising a rolled up blanket for support. I get that.

The thing is, I also have (extremely) tight hips, and my butt doesn't reach my heels... but in my child's pose there's no work, and there's no pain. It's still totally relaxing. My butt goes back until it hits its limit, and it rests there. It feels as stretch-free and pain-free as if it really was on my butt. It feels like there's a blanket there. It feels like sitting down. This isn't a complaint at all, but I'm wondering why something that causes pain or intense stretching to other people doesn't bother me in the least.

The same thing happens in reclined cobbler's pose. The knees open wide, they reach their limit, and then they're fine. Yeah I could make them stretch by pushing down, but I didn't think that's what the stretch was going for. I've done it in Yin class and the instructor has us there for several minutes. She wants it to be as relaxing as possible. Every time, she offers the same advice I see online - put blocks under your knees for support if the stretch is too intense. Too intense? I don't feel a thing. And that's not because I'm so flexible. Plus, what tiny amount of pull gravity alone provides would be erased with a block. Wouldn't that defeat the purpose?

What's going on? I feel like my body has a few internal shelves it can rest things on that other people don't have. Thanks for any insight. :)

Maybe your muscles are strong enough that you can hold yourself in these positions without much effort.