Nix

What Did You Do Today?

48 posts in this topic

Today I did a couple rounds of sun salutation B.  Practiced getting into a headstand and got maybe a full 2 seconds in crow :)   What did you do today?

I'm new to yoga so I don't know what I don't know.  It would be nice to hear what you guys are doing as I'm sure we'll learn from each other as we journey through this joy together :D

I started the day with fifteen minutes of gentle stretches. Most days that´s all I do. Later today I´m going to make my husband take pictures for the 39 days challenge and decide what to work on. Can´t wait for that challenge  :D

laceyd, Nix, Laura and 2 others like this

I'm a little under the weather so I've been practicing breathing....it does seem to make a difference when you either inhale or exhale during the right stage of the pose so I know I need to work on it.

laceyd, Turi, Laura and 2 others like this

Went to family yoga today with the kids and for the first time I did the camel pose...it felt really good.  We even practiced headstands up against the wall.  I can get up without the wall but I'm not very straight although I feel straight as a pin!

laceyd, Turi and yogajedi like this

Yesterday I called in sick but thought maybe a little yoga would help me feel better.  Well it worked.  I went to a hot vinyasa class which I thought may be low key but I was wrong.  I ended up doing crow, head and handstands against the wall, tripod and a few other poses that I've never done.  However, after class I felt much much better.  I will say I'm feeling sore today though, but it feels good!

So today I did my regular morning gentle practice and 15 minutes of chest and shoulders in the evening. Both very nice  :) I do think I´m feeling the effects of practising more regularly. 

Yesterday I called in sick but thought maybe a little yoga would help me feel better.  Well it worked.  I went to a hot vinyasa class which I thought may be low key but I was wrong.  I ended up doing crow, head and handstands against the wall, tripod and a few other poses that I've never done.  However, after class I felt much much better.  I will say I'm feeling sore today though, but it feels good!

Isn´t that great, how exercise can make you feel so much better even though you don´t expect that?

Home from work this a.m. and did Candace's 30 minute hear opening feel good video. Felt great after! Took a few pictures (not impressed by the way I looked in them) and then went to bed. Off tonight but work tomorrow night so need to stay up all night so I can sleep tomorrow. (I know...strange night walker life) Will probably do the next day's flexibility progress video before I go to bed in the a.m.

yogajedi, Nix, Turi and 1 other like this

Went to a 1 hour beginners yoga class with my girlfriend.  It was good for making sure I have technique down.  I had the opportunity near the end to challenge myself by doing wheel pose 3 times holding it for 5 breaths each.  I don't think I'd have been able to do that had I had done a hard and sweaty workout. 

Interestingly, I find that the more intense workouts allow me to focus better and I'm able to hold balancing poses longer.

Courtesy of Youtube (thank goodness for folks like Candace who upload videos for folks to do yoga at home, on the road, etc): upper back stretches (I quit mid-way because one of the poses made NO sense and the instructor left out a lot, which is a disappointment because I typically enjoy their videos); a bit of ab and arm work (Yoga with Adriene), and some core work. I feel like it wasn't enough because I never did finish any of the videos.

I just ate a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast so....I don't really want to do any more yoga since I've been reading that it's not good to do yoga after eating.

I am looking forward to doing more yoga tomorrow and Saturday, my two off days. I'm going for at least an hour of practice. Can't wait! Yoga is going to get me through this Chicago Winter.

MrBalloonHands and yogajedi like this

We did a Jillian Michaels yoga video yesterday with friends and ya, no thank you!  If that's what I had started out with I'd have never continued.  I must say you really have to find the kind of yoga you like and/or teacher if there is any hope of sticking with it or falling in love with yoga.

yogajedi, Turi and MrBalloonHands like this

Yay!!! I can finally breath!! Today I did a 15 min set of Sun Salutation, 15 mins of working on my head stand and 30 mins of restorative! It felt AWESOME!!

Nix and yogajedi like this

I did 50 minute strength video today it is one of my favourites. Plus I practiced my wheel pose, supported headstand and bow pose and "now I feel epic"!!!

Nix, laceyd and yogajedi like this

Arghhh why are balancing poses so finicky!!!  At class last night I was totally loosing my sense of focus as I kept falling out of dancer and eagle pose.   Went home and tried the poses again and could do them no problem, talk about frustrating.  The teacher said that they teach you to go with the flow as she sometimes has issues holding them.  Otherwise it was a good class and I did my first reverse plank.

yogajedi likes this

Arghhh why are balancing poses so finicky!!!  At class last night I was totally loosing my sense of focus as I kept falling out of dancer and eagle pose.   Went home and tried the poses again and could do them no problem, talk about frustrating.  The teacher said that they teach you to go with the flow as she sometimes has issues holding them.  Otherwise it was a good class and I did my first reverse plank.

Don't worry about the balance! It's a good challenge to try regaining focus after falling out the first time, and it sounds like it was hard to recover while in class. It was a nice test to do it again at home and to find that you were able to be settled again.  

I was told that the balance is a reflection of the current state of mind. Maybe you were excited or nervous in class around others, so it resulted in you feeling slightly wobbly? I also find it easier to balance by focusing on a single spot on the ground of opposite wall, and then you won't get distracted by others around you.  Have you focused on engaging your core during the poses too?

Regarding what I did today.. I'll report last night's class! We did about 30 minutes of stretching, using a strap around our foot for hamstrings and doing twists on our lower back lying down.  The rest of the hour we did sun salutations A and B and the first part of the standing sequence in the Primary Series. We also used the strap for shoulder opening exercises (raising the strap above the head and behind the back, and back over again while keeping the arms as straight as possible). I mention the stretches because it made my full wheel at the end of class feel solid when getting up. My arms are still not straight, but I felt I rose higher than other times.  The other interesting part was that we did a twisting low lunge quad stretch that felt a lot more intense than other variations in which the hips are squared off or not twisting.  I've forgotten how to do it before, so now I'm happy I did it again last night.

laceyd, Nix and yogajedi like this

Don't worry about the balance! It's a good challenge to try regaining focus after falling out the first time, and it sounds like it was hard to recover while in class. It was a nice test to do it again at home and to find that you were able to be settled again.  

I was told that the balance is a reflection of the current state of mind. Maybe you were excited or nervous in class around others, so it resulted in you feeling slightly wobbly? I also find it easier to balance by focusing on a single spot on the ground of opposite wall, and then you won't get distracted by others around you.  Have you focused on engaging your core during the poses too?

Regarding what I did today.. I'll report last night's class! We did about 30 minutes of stretching, using a strap around our foot for hamstrings and doing twists on our lower back lying down.  The rest of the hour we did sun salutations A and B and the first part of the standing sequence in the Primary Series. We also used the strap for shoulder opening exercises (raising the strap above the head and behind the back, and back over again while keeping the arms as straight as possible). I mention the stretches because it made my full wheel at the end of class feel solid when getting up. My arms are still not straight, but I felt I rose higher than other times.  The other interesting part was that we did a twisting low lunge quad stretch that felt a lot more intense than other variations in which the hips are squared off or not twisting.  I've forgotten how to do it before, so now I'm happy I did it again last night.

Actually @yogafire you are on to something thank you!!!...I was actually very excited for the class and thinking about a job I was considering applying for.  I guess I truly was not in the right frame of mind! I'm going to keep practicing and maybe even use a pose or two as a test to see if my mind is being unnecessarily occupied!

yogajedi likes this