Nix

What Did You Do Today?

48 posts in this topic

Yesterday I went I did one of Candace's before bed routines and went right to sleep. I sleep days so night's and mornings are reversed. When I woke up I did one of her morning videos before getting something to eat. Later I went through Sun Salutations A and B then worked on some hip openers I found on Candace's Blog.  While I am work I work on forward folds through out the night. When I am on lunch break like right now, I sit in that cross legged pose(name escapes me) switching which leg is on top, I can keep my pelvis tilted forward so I do not slump by pushing my lower back further into the chair. I wish I had the flexibility I had when I was a kid when I could put my foot behind my head hehe, no place even close to that.  

YogaByCandace, Nix and yogajedi like this

I did an energizing morning practice and REALLY worked my hamstrings afterward. It was just what I needed.

I am planning to do a stress relief or relaxing practice once my food digests. 

YogaByCandace and yogajedi like this

I'm checking in here! Today I started out with 5 min jump rope to warm up (side note: I just really LOVE jump roping. I may or may not have spent a solid 20 minutes the other day watching pro boxers do their jumprope routines.) Anyway, after that I did some yoga to stretch out. I've been enjoying playing around without a mat and have been practicing going from wild thing to wheel to downward dog to wheel to downward dog to wheel. So fun. And tough for the arms! I practiced some inversions, I've really been stepping up my handstand and forearm stand practice, just trying to feel more stability and playing around with different ways to enter the poses and what to do with my legs once I'm up. Fun, and sweaty.

From there, I headed out into the weight room and did an upper body workout - cleans and front squats, bench press, incline bench press, and then these weird things that probably have a name but you hold your arms at 90 degrees with the palms facing out and just move your hands/forearms out to the side while keeping your upper arms in? Feels great for the arms. I did some back stuff and then was ready to come home and eat so I scooted on outta there. 

Jasmine, chrisg and yogajedi like this

Yay! New year, new start. After being sick with the flu for about 2 weeks and skipping yoga classes for almost a month, I lost a lot of strength and have been slowly easing back into yoga by trying restorative classes.  Today my studio had a special yin and yang class at 9 am, so I set my alarm to see if I would feel up for it, and I did.  I've never tried a yin class before, but we did that shoulder stretch (Candace wrote a blog post about it within the past few months), and my shoulder feels a lot more mobile (which got cramped up from sleeping on my side about 2 nights ago).

Oh! And I forgot to report last week, but I tried my first restorative class. This is my funny, embarrassing story.  I arrived a little late, so I was flustered in grabbing the appropriate props and then joining everyone in the first pose.  The first pose had us do a wide legged child pose with the bolster (see pic below).  Except, I didn't study my fellow yogis long enough (and the teacher wasn't demonstrating), so I thought it was just like regular child's pose, and I planted my head face-down directly onto the bolster.  Then after a couple minutes, the teacher cued us to breathe more deeply. And I thought, how am I supposed to do that with my face against the fabric?  And then, I realized everyone was resting one cheek to the bolster, and I was smashing my nose into the bolster, face-down! Luckily, no one seemed to notice, and I wonder if the teacher just thought I preferred that position and didn't correct me.

18.jpg

My first attempt at getting in a good practice today was interrupted by my giggly little yogi who actually did a few down dogs & cobras with me before deciding I was her personal jungle gym :P

To make up for it I just got done with an hour and 5 minute long practice. I didn't intend for it to be so long but I'm glad I kept going all the stress from the day is gone & I may actually be in bed before 10 tonight.

Went to the Sunday morning class at my fave studio. It was the first time I've ever been to a class where every single inch of the room was covered in mats. It was an interesting experience, to have to keep yourself completely on your mat. I was just happy that I didn't kick anyone in head during Warrior III or smack someone during a swan dive!

I'm a newbie here but have practiced at home for about 3 years.  Always add a pose to Vinyasa routine (my routine takes about 50 minutes) that I can't do in hopes that one day I will do.  At almost 60 years, some poses are just plain out of reach.  Still.  Latest attempt is Baby Grasshopper to hopefully lead to Big Kid Grasshopper.  No joy yet, my core is still weak and gormless but I live in hope. 

I powered through 3 YBC videos this morning to make up for not being able to make it to the mat yesterday. Morning wake up yoga, yoga for strength & flexibility & 20 min flow for core strengthening) When my little yogi wakes up I plan on doing a fun little flow with her since she loves to get on the mat with me.

I'm a newbie here but have practiced at home for about 3 years.  Always add a pose to Vinyasa routine (my routine takes about 50 minutes) that I can't do in hopes that one day I will do.  At almost 60 years, some poses are just plain out of reach.  Still.  Latest attempt is Baby Grasshopper to hopefully lead to Big Kid Grasshopper.  No joy yet, my core is still weak and gormless but I live in hope. 

Hey, that is great regardless of age! I'm 30, practice yoga all. the. time. and "big kid" grasshopper always takes major, major work for me!  :27:

yogajedi likes this

I'm suffering through the middle of a heatwave  <_< so last night I did the recommended videos (it's the 6th Jan here in Australia so I think I'm a day ahead of a lot of you guys) and only made it half way through the 30 minute power video. I was sliding all over the mat.. so for today's yoga I'm either going to not be lazy and walk to the next room to grab my towel, or kick everyone out of the living area and do my yoga under the air conditioning. It's school holidays here so I'm generally locking myself in the study room where there's no air conditioning!

I focused on hip opening, and then decided to spontaneously try Eight Angle pose and did it for a split second  :lol:

yogajedi likes this

How I wish I'd discovered yoga at your age, Candace.  But then I was too busy shooting myself in the foot and sabotaging every attempt to be healthy physically (running, eating what is now called 'clean') by my unhealthy smoking, drinking too much, etc.  Talk about a split personality!  Taken that long to kind of heal that dichotomy.  Yoga has this insidious and surprising ability to improve everything about one's life, not just the physical.  If I'd only known! 

Today I haven't done yoga yet but had a serious, hopefully non-nagging conversation with my 68 yo husband, who has Parkinsons, about the benefits of doing some yoga every day.  A ten minute committment (to the Tibetan 5 Rites) is insurance (appealing to male logic) like insuring the house and car.  Wonder if I got through....

I showed my 60 year old mother grasshopper pose, it being my 'goal' posture, and she said "what? I don't even understand how you get your leg up there, how does that even work?"  :lol:  Honestly I think people of all ages should be doing some form of stretching at the very least, especially as we age. I've given her a beginners yoga DVD but she hasn't used it yet. My Dad used to do Tai Chi and admits he used to be far more flexible until he stopped going.

How I wish I'd discovered yoga at your age, Candace.  But then I was too busy shooting myself in the foot and sabotaging every attempt to be healthy physically (running, eating what is now called 'clean') by my unhealthy smoking, drinking too much, etc.  Talk about a split personality!  Taken that long to kind of heal that dichotomy.  Yoga has this insidious and surprising ability to improve everything about one's life, not just the physical.  If I'd only known! 

Today I haven't done yoga yet but had a serious, hopefully non-nagging conversation with my 68 yo husband, who has Parkinsons, about the benefits of doing some yoga every day.  A ten minute committment (to the Tibetan 5 Rites) is insurance (appealing to male logic) like insuring the house and car.  Wonder if I got through....

Well you know what Bikram said, right? You're never too old, never too bad, never too late and never too sick to start from the scratch once again. :)  Do let us know how it goes - maybe you found the secret to :7:

Opened up with long strengthening & heart opening flow thins morning. Then I worked on my baby grasshopper and some balance poses tree,warrior 3 and dancers pose. After that I followed a guided chakra aligning meditation and worked on my grasshopper again.

MrBalloonHands likes this

My darling husband did The Rites yesterday, not so far today.  We'll see.  Mid-afternoon now so there's still time.  Did yoga yesterday afternoon and noticed, again, how much looser my body is compared to morning yoga.  Am more flexible with less effort.  Anyone else notice that?    Used to do yoga fresh out of bed when I was still working.  Every balancing pose I fell over.  Later in the day, no problem.  Is it just me or do others' abilities/flexibilities change through the day?

Baby Grasshopper today a chuckle.  About a 2cm lift for two breaths one side, and barely off the ground for one crashing breath the other.  But it's always like that starting something new.  Also trying to graduate from crow to crane pose, bit like a disjointed turkey at the moment.  Am sure I saw my cat, who likes sharing the mat, hiding a smile.

My darling husband did The Rites yesterday, not so far today.  We'll see.  Mid-afternoon now so there's still time.  Did yoga yesterday afternoon and noticed, again, how much looser my body is compared to morning yoga.  Am more flexible with less effort.  Anyone else notice that?    Used to do yoga fresh out of bed when I was still working.  Every balancing pose I fell over.  Later in the day, no problem.  Is it just me or do others' abilities/flexibilities change through the day?

Baby Grasshopper today a chuckle.  About a 2cm lift for two breaths one side, and barely off the ground for one crashing breath the other.  But it's always like that starting something new.  Also trying to graduate from crow to crane pose, bit like a disjointed turkey at the moment.  Am sure I saw my cat, who likes sharing the mat, hiding a smile.

I am extremely tight in the morning - it's almost funny to me how different my morning body is to my evening body! I don't think we're alone :27:

yogagrammy likes this

By light, do you mean, ethereal, like a dancer perhaps? 

How do your surroundings affect you?  Class is one thing (and different classes/teachers/styles certainly colour one's yoga), but how about at home?  Outside?  Inside?  I did yoga on top of the water tank one autumn day which was lovely.  Where is the most memorable place you (or anyone) has practiced yoga? Or in a perfect world, where would you practice?

As for what I did today, did the Tibetan 5 Rites with my husband (yaayyy!), then my own routine.  Have been working on tolasana for months with negligible results.  Today felt a tiny bit more of a lift.   Again, think my difficulty with it relates to core weakness....or maybe I've got really short arms.  :)

I may not always get to my mat but I seem to always do yoga poses throughout the day.  During the holiday I was baking cookies and waiting for them to get out of the oven I was in tree pose...at first my dad thought it was a little strange but then he said "I should be doing more stretches like that" and when I am at work I find myself waiting for something and either doing forward fold or intense side stretch.  Today I am going to be doing 15 minutes morning yoga for tight hips and super excited about it :)

keziah, Laura and MrBalloonHands like this

The Warrior flow. I have a warrior flow that I love to do but I never do it! I don't know why. I guess it just doesn't fit in. Everyday I am going to make sure it fits in somewhere.

And this is the sequence if anyone wishes to give it a try. Maybe Candace will do a video someday? That would be cool.

Start in downdog

Inhale to lift the right leg

Exhale 'hop' the left leg to the hands (that is a small standing splits then hop the lower, left leg forward)

Inhale to Warrior IIII , let the upper, right leg controlled drop to the back of the mat on ball of foot  (other names lunge - Anjaneyasana)

Exhale to Warrior II

Inhale to Reverse Warrior II (that is the 'common' reverse warrior)

Exhale to Warrior III

Inhale to Warrior I (let the upper leg, right leg controlled drop again)

Exhale the hands clasped behind the back, legs still in warrior I

Inhale the chest and shoulders open

Exhale to Humble Warrior

Inhale to Reverse Warrior I (hips squared to the front)

Exhale the the hands to frame the forward foot, lift the back leg and hop the front leg to the back of the mat for downdog

5 breaths in downdog and repeat 3 times each side.

That is a lot of Warrior poses!

I can post a link to the Asana Guide (non commercial website) if anyone would like pictures and descriptions of all the poses. This sequence may be a little confusing or maybe very confusing.

Laura likes this

I am focusing on getting in at least a little yoga each day this month, with the minimum being 11 sun salutations. I did my 11 SS this morning and then was fortunate enough to teach some yoga to my high schoolers today (they have been asking to learn and the schedule worked out where I could).

I also had an appointment with my trainer at the gym tonight, but she had to cancel, so I think I may head to a yoga class instead. 

Meugenio likes this

I've been busy at work this week (just of off 4 12 hour nights, off tonight, work 1) then off for 5 nights! I get off work and go straight to my mat or I talk myself out of it. I'm doing a video by Candace or my on line subscription one focusing on strength. I follow that with meditation. I walked out the hospital after a super busy weekend there and come home to no water in the house! We have a water well and evidently the pump must be out!  :21: I felt like just going to bed and not thinking about it but jumped on my mat instead. I'm glad I did! Still no water tonight but have high hopes of it getting fixed tomorrow. Trouble is I have to work tomorrow night and will need to stay awake during the day to make sure everything gets fixed! I may be doing extra yoga to stay awake! I hope I have a good update for tomorrow!

I'm doing Yoga with Adriene's 30 days of yoga challenge. I'm on day 2. These beginning sequences aren't challenging enough so did some of Body Soul Active's flexibility sequence and some of Ybc Total Body flow for beginners :)

Every morning I do 5 rounds of Surya Namaskara A, sun salutes, and then a few other things after that. This morning I was feeling blah and did not want to get started. But I started anyway. The first went really slow but quickly the effects took over and everything was good. Feeling so good so quickly that I may have got a little carried away with the transitions in the last one, haha. I am always amazed at how just doing a little can make such a big difference. And how some people figured this out thousands of years ago. Surya Namaskara origins date back a couple thousand years or more. I always follow the traditional sequence without any changes. Because it works. Bye the way sun salutation is traditionally 108 rounds on certain days of the year!

Here Comes The Sun - detailed article, the instructions they give is for a different version Surya Namaskara 

http://www.yogajournal.com/article/practice-section/here-comes-the-sun/

And if you are looking for Surya Namaskara A on the internet be careful because some are really messed up. But this one isn't :)

Yoga Tip: Salute the Sun (the video comes in a 25 seconds)

http://yogabycandace.com/blog/2012/5/21/yoga-tip-salute-the-sun.html?rq=Surya%20Namaskara%20A