VikasPaul

Costly Indoor cycling V/s free Yoga

4 posts in this topic

Yesterday my father sent me a lot of messages to encourage me for indoor cycling. But as I dig deeper into the buying process I find it quiet a costly affair. On the other side, Yoga is free and without any risk involved. I want to know what are the poses that can do exactly same job as of .indoor cycling. So I can reply back to my dad to convince him of yoga being more beneficial then use of indoor cycling.

Yoga is convenient because you can do at home, but I wouldn't call it free until you already have an established yoga practice.  A very good and durable mat can be ~$60-90 (lifespan 3+ yrs) and if you are new to yoga and need instruction, then in person classes are $10-$20 each depending on promotion deals and location.  You can follow along youtube videos but it's also good to get feedback in person once in awhile so someone can see your alignment and make sure you are being safe.

I don't indoor cycle, but I heard it's one of the best low impact cardio activities. So, yoga has benefits but it doesn't really get your heart rate up as high as cycling or running, unless you are doing a very physical ashtanga or vinyasa practice.

Why don't you check out a gym free trial and go to both a cycling and a yoga class? That might be the best way to sample both worlds because they really are complementary, not necessarily substitutes.   I certainly wouldn't invest an indoor cycle at home until I knew I liked it.

I do want to stress that in any sport, there is risk of injury. No sport is risk-free. I've injured myself in yoga a few times, more than I have horseback riding. It's why I'm particularly careful when I do yoga as I'm easily prone to bruises and injury (I know, everyone finds this funny. I do a particularly high-risk sport, but get more injuries doing yoga than horseback riding.)

On the same wavelength as @Anahata, if you love horses, you can look into a equestrian yoga retreat or lessons if you'd like.