Janna

Nausea when doing Yoga

4 posts in this topic

Does anyone know why I experience nausea during and after yoga, please? 

I am 48 and have tried yoga at 13yrs old, then later in my mid 20's, and then later again in my early 40's.  I experience a strong 'motion sickness' feeling, which lasts for many hours afterwards, and is quite unpleasant.  I had not eaten, just prior to the yoga class - which seems to be the only thing that the yoga instructors (I discussed this with) could come up with.

I do wonder if this is an inner ear thing and not actually related to yoga?  I would appreciate any advice or thoughts anyone has.

Thank you

Janna

If your instructors are not sure and your medical checks out I am not sure how much help you can get off the internet. Sometimes yoga does things to us emotionally and subconsciously which may have physical effects.

Do you have strong core muscles? Those muscles keep our innards steady, keep everything from squishing and sloshing around. too much.

Janna likes this

Thanks Anahata,

Well with it being so unusual a problem, I was hoping to reach out to a lot more people to see if anyone else had experienced it or had knowledge of it - which is why I posted here.  I would dearly love to practice yoga, but can't because of the nausea, and am hoping there is a solution - or at least a reason.

Thank you for replying x

I can try to help but it will more on you to try and figure it out for yourself. What type of yoga do you do? What level of the basic poses are you comfortable with?

Everyone can always do yoga. Many different types of yoga. Pranayama is a very important part. There are some types that don't even have postures, meditation and such.