Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mrsjoe24

Breathing

4 posts in this topic

I've been becoming more aware of my breath lately and I've come to realize that in normal life I tend to hold my breath then I get a quick shallow breath afterwards. I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this in themselves or has tips for breathing consistently. Who knew I'd have to teach myself to do something that's supposed to be natural. :lol:

Also in my yoga routines I'm finding my exhales are easily drawn out and controlled but my inhales feel like they have only so far to go and then stop quickly. They can be way shorter than my exhales. Is it possible that I'm holding my belly in a way that doesn't allow the inhale to fully form? Open to any suggestions. 

Thanks!
Namastay :13:

We all have different breathing patterns, but if you feel you aren't maximizing your breathing or your breathing is causing you to be breathless or fatigued, I would see an allergist just to rule out you don't have asthma or allergies that could be hindering your ability to breathe to the best of your ability. I started singing at age 4 in a choir, so I learned how to breathe by using my diaphragm (which is also used in yoga), not my shoulders. Because of this, I don't hitch or stop in the middle of sentences like many people do. I just naturally breathe in and out of my diaphragm now.

A helpful technique is shown in this video. You breathe in through the nose for so many counts, hold for so many, than exhale. You let out the rest in a big whoosh of air before repeating. This is called breath control and is the foundation for any form of singing. If you can't control your breathing, you can't sing effectively. This also has helped me in yoga (I can't ever follow Candace when she counts because she has a different counting scheme.) and when I am riding horses as I inevitably forget to breathe. There are many other forms of developing breath control through breathing drills, singing drills, even those things called tongue twisters. My most hated tongue twister is "Unique New York." I STILL have issues trying to say it three times without screwing up and not breathing.

On 8/21/2017 at 9:50 AM, mrsjoe24 said:

I've been becoming more aware of my breath lately and I've come to realize that in normal life I tend to hold my breath then I get a quick shallow breath afterwards. I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this in themselves or has tips for breathing consistently. Who knew I'd have to teach myself to do something that's supposed to be natural. :lol:

Also in my yoga routines I'm finding my exhales are easily drawn out and controlled but my inhales feel like they have only so far to go and then stop quickly. They can be way shorter than my exhales. Is it possible that I'm holding my belly in a way that doesn't allow the inhale to fully form? Open to any suggestions. 

Thanks!
Namastay :13:

Haha i've had a similar experience. Ever since i got into yoga i've noticed more so when i have really unusual breathing habits. I tend to hold my breath or take quick sharp breaths when i'm stressed out or doing something that takes a lot of focus.

We live day to day life in stress (mental +  physical). This stress keeps our body in flight and fight situation and result is shallow breathing. When this happens years and years, total vital capacity of lungs reduces drastically.

Yoga (especially pranayama) teaches us to be aware of breathing and then natural rhythm of breathing sets in. But reverting existing damage takes time.