Mila

yogaalliance? is it important?

3 posts in this topic

Hello, my friends!

I want to start RYT 200 this fall.

Is it important to use Yoga Schools registered in Yoga Alliance?

Can you give me an advise about schools? I live in Aurora.

Thank you!

Mila

Hello, A Yoga Alliance certified training will be better for getting a teaching job. That doesn't mean anything about the quality of the training or if you will be pleased with what that particular training offers.

For the advice; go to the people that are offering the training and get to know them really well. Maybe take some classes and find out about them. Now days there is a teacher training sign on every corner and endless stories of disappointment. I heard of one place that used a coloring book for anatomy training. As unbelievable as that is it is not a lie. The wording of the training '200 hour teacher training' is written to sound like a person can take this training and be ready to teach a yoga class. This is not anything close to reality. You didn;t mention what you hope to gain from the training. Think of 200 hours as a good part of a larger requirement for teaching. But a great immersion for a more in-depth yoga experience if a person didn't want to teach.

17 hours ago, Anahata said:

'200 hour teacher training' is written to sound like a person can take this training and be ready to teach a yoga class. This is not anything close to reality.

Agree totally. There’s a local boutique that pumps out teachers who are all  identical. They each use the same exact routine, use the exact same motivational phrases "don’t check out, check in!" but are clueless about crafting a routine (flow).

For example, they’ll (all) say ...they use the same exact script

• "okay, do crow or malasana” (to a class of non advanced...no instruction, guidance nor advice, just a choice squat or crow)...
  •  "okay, downward dog...do pigeon...do pigeon on the other side....find your way to happy baby" ( I’m not kidding...that’s the exact sequence they’ll announce. Getting into and out of pigeon and then on to happy baby requires a lot of "instruction", no?.
  • "Down dog...right foot right thumb...rise up...reach all the way up..."

Further, they're not very helpful when it comes to assisting 

When I hear that one of these people (there are three or four that are happy to substitute for the regular leaders) are teaching at my fitness center, I skip the class.