lilbill

Yoga and Drama

3 posts in this topic

I'm a college kid and I'm a yoga teacher and practitioner. I've been raised on yoga, and it has proven to be an integral part of my life, however, I know this isn't the case for everyone, and while I love yoga, I wouldn't push it onto other people, as I wouldn't want them to push their religion onto me. There are, however, instances in my life when I encounter drama, or conflict in my life, and return to my source, yoga, to find an answer. Asking others to do this as well is to ask too much, but how I can navigate these tricky situations without offending? 

Well, you said it yourself, you wouldn't want other people's religion [or political views or what not] pushed onto you, so don't push yoga onto them unless they ask about it. Everyone has their own way to cope with drama and stressful situations - some cope better than others. You do yoga. GREAT! Some tend to break down and cry, then pull themselves back together after a good cry. This is also healthy (though it doesn't look that way, it is healthy!) Some of us need to go furiously write and some of us have to go hoof it out on the sidewalk. Others need to talk to somebody. Some, like me, need to combine to really solve something fully. Some of us even need to scream at the top of our lungs in a locked closed room by ourselves and just get it all out. [Totally therapist approved, especially screaming into a pillow.]

Unless they are truly endangering themselves by not eating properly (or eating excessively), drinking to the point of passing out, cutting or self-harming, harming you or others, or doing drugs [in which case, you need to tell the RA if you are at a dorm or a supervisor], it's not really your place to say, "Why not try yoga?" Go forth, get some noise-cancelling headphones if you need to, and keep conquering college.

On 10/20/2017 at 11:22 PM, KateZena said:

Well, you said it yourself, you wouldn't want other people's religion [or political views or what not] pushed onto you, so don't push yoga onto them unless they ask about it. Everyone has their own way to cope with drama and stressful situations - some cope better than others. You do yoga. GREAT! Some tend to break down and cry, then pull themselves back together after a good cry. This is also healthy (though it doesn't look that way, it is healthy!) Some of us need to go furiously write and some of us have to go hoof it out on the sidewalk. Others need to talk to somebody. Some, like me, need to combine to really solve something fully. Some of us even need to scream at the top of our lungs in a locked closed room by ourselves and just get it all out. [Totally therapist approved, especially screaming into a pillow.]

Unless they are truly endangering themselves by not eating properly (or eating excessively), drinking to the point of passing out, cutting or self-harming, harming you or others, or doing drugs [in which case, you need to tell the RA if you are at a dorm or a supervisor], it's not really your place to say, "Why not try yoga?" Go forth, get some noise-cancelling headphones if you need to, and keep conquering college.

Agreed, we can force people unless they inspire from you. Yoga if part is part of my life now I do every day but my sister doesn't like to do, I can only ask her.

Edited by LarryD517
Removed link to outside website