Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
juliewa

Anyone In School?

7 posts in this topic

Hello!! I was just wondering if anyone else was taking classes or working on a degree. Mostly I just wanted to commiserate ;) I love school, ...until the days that I don't, lol.

If you are, what degree are you pursuing? What are you hoping for in your career? Do you like it?

I am working on prerequisites to apply for a program in Conservation Biology or possibly Ecology. I want to work with damaged ecosystems or communities that do not have sustainable food production. I enjoy biology, but unfortunately most of my prereq's are core math and science classes, which are difficult to schedule (Who can accommodate these crazy lectures plus labs?  <_<  ). And also kind of just difficult sometimes :wacko: But I secretly enjoy it most days.

yogagrammy and MrBalloonHands like this

That is so awesome! what made you chose this route? One of my best friends in undergrad was a Conservation Biology major and he really enjoyed it!

I am studying to take my GMAT's to go to grad school for economics. I will probably focus on economic development and I hope my degree allows me to work to draft up public policy that can help lessen the effects of poverty. I also work full time so I hope I can make my schedule work! :o

yogagrammy likes this

That is so awesome! what made you chose this route? One of my best friends in undergrad was a Conservation Biology major and he really enjoyed it!

I am studying to take my GMAT's to go to grad school for economics. I will probably focus on economic development and I hope my degree allows me to work to draft up public policy that can help lessen the effects of poverty. I also work full time so I hope I can make my schedule work! :o

It's a bit of a long roundabout journey, but originally I got a degree in Criminal Justice, partially because I'm fascinated by crime (heh) and partially because I wanted to have a "rewarding" career. I loved studying crime but eventually realized that as far as the career options go, you're on a hamster wheel; you are always cleaning up afterward with no ability to improve things before they get that bad. I have endless respect for those who do it, but I did not want to go down that career track and get stuck there. So after some time off and a lot of thinking, I decided that working inside the system was not for me. Healing for individuals and society comes from the ground up. It's very cheesy (and makes me sound a lot more hippieish than I actually am,) but I think that the way people treat each other is in some way predicted by how they treat animals and how they treat the planet. If we can improve people's relationship with their environment, I think it creates a setting for improvement in other areas. All of that envirobabble, combined with the fact that I've always liked biology, led to an environmental science-related focus. Plus, I really like that it will hopefully make me useful no matter where I am, instead of being specialized to one legal system etc.

That sounds amazing! I have seen so many great internships and opportunities internationally for that kind of work. Have you considered doing a Masters International Peace Corps program? I've been looking at them & I'm pretty sure there were quite a few economic development ones. Not quite feasible if you have a family, though.

Turi and yogagrammy like this

I'm in my final semester at school, studying graphic design! Upon graduation I'll probably hopefully get a job in that field, but I would love to do illustration or animation. That involves a lot of out-of-school studying on my part, so I'll have to wait a while for that!

Because I'm a transfer student, I am still working on my liberal arts credits. (I actually finished my major requirements last semester, but I'm taking another graphic design studio course just because I like it.) I'm currently taking a course called Environment, Technology, and Society, and this section is focused on water issues. I feel passionately about saving the environment and conserving, and I wish more people knew the things I'm learning about!

yogagrammy likes this

I'm so glad to see my fellow students on here!  Student life is so strange sometimes, in that it looks easy to people outside, but the irregular hours and the burstiness of the stress can really pile up on you.

I'm basically a professional student, in that I have a few degrees already, but now that I am working on my doctorate I actually get paid to go to school. I wish I could say that I love it every day but I'm in an intensely competitive research department with a hard driving supervisor and I have some nasty deadlines looming so it's hard right now. My research is essentially on how to save the world with money (renewable energy financing/economics). I should be working on my paper right now!

fshliz09 and yogafire like this

Student life is so strange sometimes, in that it looks easy to people outside, but the irregular hours and the burstiness of the stress can really pile up on you.

No, it's not easy! I'm on the outside now, but I admire all the students here because I was so bad at time management while in school.  I spent my weekends always trying to catch up and study.  My school had a nice gym and yoga classes that were free if you signed up, but no, I did not make free time to do any of that.

I did not do grad school either, but based on what I heard from my friends, it sounds like there can be even more politics than the working world with grant raising and publishing.

I'm just glad everyone here has been able to incorporate yoga in their lives now and are practicing a better balanced lifestyle! I wish I discovered yoga and made it part of my routine much earlier.

I am a doctoral student! I have one more semester of coursework, hurrah! Being done with coursework is such a huge milestone for me. I'm studying English literature, specializing in twentieth-century British & Commonwealth writers.

I was terrible about managing my time when I was in college, but now that I've been in grad school for (gulp) five years already, I've gotten a TON better. I don't treat it like a 9-5 job, like some of my colleagues do, but I am much better about setting times to sit down and work and other times to focus on my health, fitness, meditation, etc.

Favorite break-from-studying yoga videos or practices?