Linzi

Beginners help

5 posts in this topic

Hi all, 

I am struggling with my practice. I am fairly new to yoga and of course I understand that it is a process and progress can be very slow. But I'm finding lately that I'm coming away from a practice with more tension in my muscles than I went in with! Even when I've been doing poses that are supposed to be relaxed stretches. My hips have felt very tight and sore lately and my neck and upper shoulders feel so tense it is distracting. Can anyone offer any advice? I am not pushing my stretches too far, and I'm being very careful listen to cues and keep my body in the correct alignment. 

I am just feeling super frustrated and I feel like the last thing I should be leaving a session with is stress and tension! 

Are you taking live classes? Have you discussed this with your instructor?

You might be pushing yourself to perform (or keep up with the more advanced practitioners)  Work up to your ability, not beyond 

Are you doing homework, practicing on your own? A class is a routine that moves relatively quickly from pose to pose, assuming you’re ready for that. You might want to explore “yin yoga”, (google it) a very slow, deep stretch where you sit in poses for 2, 5 or up to 10 minutes. Try working on poses outside of class. 

If your sore, back off from the exercises or classes and work on other body parts or take different classes. 

Thanks Larry, I'm not actually doing any classes, I'm just doing home yoga practice everyday. I'm keeping it short and sweet and I've been doing some yin yoga too. It's actually since I started doing the yin yoga that my hip flexor shave started to feel a little painful. I tried doing an upper body yin yoga practice (following on YouTube) and I felt like my chest and everything couldn't relax into the pose. If I relaxed I started to put pressure on places like my neck etc that shouldn't be feeling it. 

I feel like I'm just not flexible enough to access the simple stretches! 

Not trying to spend other people's money, but, if it's in the budget, I think a private lesson, or two, is the best money someone interested in yoga can spend. Learning the subtleties of body position can be the difference between getting the full benefit of the pose and potentially causing injury (for example, the wrists in Downward Dog).

When it comes to soreness as a result of being tight (or possibly doing it incorrectly), a live instructor watching you can assist in the modifications needed. They'll suggest specific exercises you can try, etc. 

Again, I don't want to spend your money, but a class can cost less than $50, or maybe have a friend join in and split the cost.

Candace (site owner) has an excellent series of videos on her YouTube channel