Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
emoore

Crockpot Recipes

8 posts in this topic

The crockpot is my lifesaver some days. On a Sunday I love to start it in the morning and get to take the start of the week off of cooking.

Usually though I just throw beans, spices, tomatoes, onions, etc into the pot and make chili.. not very creative.

What are yalls go to crockpot meals?

MrBalloonHands likes this

Our crockpot is mostly used for making natural bone broths. Usually a small chicken which takes about 6 hrs. Then I break the chicken down and either eat the meat or package it. Then I snap all the bones in half so the bone marrow is exposed, I put it all back into the crockpot with water and let is soak on low for 24-48 hours. I add sea salt and pepper to taste. 

The other times I make broth is with fish. I will just use a wild trout of some sort, it doesn't really matter what kind of fish. I let the fish soak on low for 24-48 hours with sea salt and pepper. Either drinking fish broth or using it for a soup feels so nutritious. Even more than the chicken broth. There are so many healthy and healing qualities with natural bone broths. I recommend it to everyone!  :cheers:

yogagrammy likes this

Hmm I'd never thought of using it for broth. You use fish broth for soup?

Yes I do. It is deeeeeelicious!! Well it takes a little getting used to. I remember my first time tasting it in a soup, I thought it was really fishy. But by the end of that one bowl I was used to it.

My crockpot gets used for chili and curries and the usual, but my absolute favourite thing to do with it is to "roast" a whole chicken in it.  I just line the bottom of the pot with diced onions, and shove a quartered onion and a lemon in a chicken that I have rubbed down with olive oil, sea salt and herbes du provence, and just put the chicken in the crockpot and cook it on low for 6-8 hours.  Amazingly tender and falling off the bone deliciousness and so easy!  I do it with just legs or breasts, too, and they also turn out great.

yogagrammy likes this

I cook this dal on the stovetop, but this recipe was originally for a slow cooker and has a the slow cooker variation.

http://food52.com/recipes/25419-a-simple-homey-coconut-y-red-lentil-dal

The fresh curry leaves add a lot of depth - luckily I live near an Indian grocery, otherwise I wouldn't be able to add them in.  Substituting powdered for whole seeds (I halve the amount) has worked fine for me.  It makes a ton of servings and keeps well as leftovers.

Our crockpot is mostly used for making natural bone broths. 

I saw this article and thought of you! You can sell your broth. :)  

Also, if you want to save a step and avoid deboning the chicken, some grocery stores sell chicken carcasses (such as a Chinese grocery). Or maybe they store it behind the scenes and they can save it for you.  I think I had to stick 4 chicken carcasses to create a chicken broth with equivalent potency with one leftover roasted chicken.