mimisouth

Tight Hips

7 posts in this topic

I know it's normal to have one side more flexible than the other and for me this is my right hip..

However, this is very inflexible compared to my other side. If is sit cross legged my left knee lies on the floor my right is round by my ear. I struggle to do seated meditation as after a few minutes my left hip/groin area aches.

I do poses recommended for hip openers. But my left side is becoming more flexible while my right side remains rigid! Should I just work on the right side for a while to see if I can close the gap. Should I carry on as normal or is there something else I should try or do?

Thanks

My left side is more flexible than my right side too. I keep on working on both sides the same feeling how the right side is slowly opening. Yin poses are excellent to work on  flexibility.

YogaByCandace likes this

Yep, just agreeing with the above. If it is staying absolutely tight after consistent practice and a solid personal yin practice, it may be bone compression. Do a search on the right hand side of my website, halfway down for 'bone compression' and see if perhaps that might be what's going on. 

Vanyogalife likes this

It does sound like bone compression to me too. You can also test if the right hip is more flexible in the other direction than the left by closing the hip for example in eagle pose. If the right leg crosses over the left more easily than the other way around, it might be due to the bone structure in your hip.

When you do seated meditation, try sitting on a bolster in hero pose. This is what we were instructed to do in teacher training, if our hips were not mobile enough for sitting cross legged.

mimisouth likes this

Why is the one side of your hip so tight? Figuring out the answer may be very helpful to you.

Sitting for long periods can cause this problem. Not just sitting but sitting in a particular way for many years. It could be crossing the legs the same way every time. Sitting at a slight angle from forward. Or something else. This will likely be really difficult to figure out because we become so accustom to sitting this way that it feels completely natural. And it will very subtle which makes it so difficult to notice. When you figure it out you will know it because doing it the opposite (perhaps crossing the legs) will feel incredibly uncomfortable. If it is unbalanced sitting then it is a simple matter of changing sitting habits. It will take a long time but eventually become more flexible. Adding some helpful poses everyday will also help.

You didn't mention any injuries. With an old foot, knee or leg injury sometimes we 'protect' that injury by holding or walking in a certain way and we are completely unaware of doing this. After many years of doing this something called sympathetic injures can develop, tightness in one hip could be a sign of this. 

Over the internet it is impossible to know if these may be causing the problem. Something for you to investigate to help you figure it out.

Yogabliss and yogafire like this