Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
afrinak

I Can't Do Yoga For A Couple Of Weeks- Help!

7 posts in this topic

I tore something in my knee, likely a meniscus tear (getting an MRI to confirm). It happened 6 days ago and I've been yoga free since and I'm starting to hate it! I'm keeping the knee in a brace and trying my best not to bend it so I'm not sure if there's any yoga I can do, even basic poses like table top, down dog, forward fold I want to avoid. Is there anything I can do in this healing period?

Turi likes this

I've had a few surgeries and had my feet in casts on and off this year, and found that chair yoga videos helped. I also found some more restorative/gentle or beginner yoga videos and would modify those and just skip the poses I couldn't do. It was really frustrating at first, because I wanted to be able to do everything in the videos, but then I realized that doing something was probably better than nothing. I hope the MRI gives you some answers and everything turns out ok!

MrBalloonHands and Laura like this

Time to maybe delve into a more meditative practice maybe? Yoga nidra, guided meditation, etc. 

For more physical work you could work on headstands against the wall, shoulder stands, etc. 

Injuries are tough to work through emotionally, but I really do feel like there's a lesson in everything. See if you can shift your focus and find the good in the situation maybe?  All the best to you, keep us updated xo

laceyd likes this

I tore something in my knee, likely a meniscus tear (getting an MRI to confirm). It happened 6 days ago and I've been yoga free since and I'm starting to hate it! I'm keeping the knee in a brace and trying my best not to bend it so I'm not sure if there's any yoga I can do, even basic poses like table top, down dog, forward fold I want to avoid. Is there anything I can do in this healing period?

It really can be so frustrating to be unable to do what you want to because of injuries. I agree with Candace, that there is a chance for personal growth in the situation (if there´s no other silver lining, there´s always personal growth, right!  <a href=http://www.freesmile) Maybe it is an opportunity to focus on breathing, alignment and other more subtle parts of the practise? 

I jope it is nothing too serious and that you´re back in the game soon  :)

yogafire likes this

Positivity, even when it's really hard! I've got some tissue damage currently which is hindering me slightly but I'm just trying to remain positive knowing that it will be healed and I can return to 'normality'.

I agree with everyone about a more meditative practice and also yin and chair yoga. I had back surgery not long after my practice with in full swing and it drove me crazy! I couldn't bend or twist. Try to do yoga without doing that! I did do lounges and very slow balances. About a year later I had carpel tunnel surgery. I adjusted my practice so everything that I normally did with my hands on the mat I did on my forearms. I learned patience and to accept my limitations. Good lessons learned! I wish you good luck and fast healing!  :47: