YogaByCandace

Recent Noteworthy Reads

38 posts in this topic

I just wanted to share a good book I read recently - it's called Orphan Train. I felt it sort of came to a quick end with a lot of loose ends, but the meat of the story was, in my opinion, really good! Have you read anything good recently?

MaryKay likes this

Earlier in the year I read Life after Life by Kate Atkinson and I loved it. It explores the idea that identity isn't fixed and that destiny isn't certain and I liked the way the characters had second chances. It was a book that stayed with me for ages, I'm currently reading Americanah and hoping it turns out to be as good!

Earlier in the year I read Life after Life by Kate Atkinson and I loved it. It explores the idea that identity isn't fixed and that destiny isn't certain and I liked the way the characters had second chances. It was a book that stayed with me for ages, I'm currently reading Americanah and hoping it turns out to be as good!

Ohhh I have heard good things about Life After Life!

I read Me Before You by Jojo Moyes in two days this summer because it was just so good. But be warned: you may or may not bawl your eyes out while reading the last 60 or so pages...(I did...)

YogaByCandace likes this

I read Me Before You by Jojo Moyes in two days this summer because it was just so good. But be warned: you may or may not bawl your eyes out while reading the last 60 or so pages...(I did...)

Haha this made me laugh because I made my poor husband listen to it (audiobook) when we drove across the country this summer. I was a DISASTER (he might've been emotional too). Hhaha

Meugenio and OceanMinded like this

During my undergrad, I took a class for Complementary Alternative Medicine and it really sparked an interest in me about considering the things I am exposing myself to (different chemicals in beauty products, conscious food choices, etc.). Then my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer, which really made me want to change my lifestyle and create good habits while kicking out the bad habits. My mom recently went to a conference in St. Paul for breast cancer and came home with this book called The Chemistry of Calm. A Minnesota author wrote it and he made the text very easy to understand, which I appreciated.

It is basically about how to treat your body well to fight anxiety without the use of medications by eating wholesome foods, practicing meditation, using supplements (I personally would not use supplements), and how the hormones/chemicals in our bodies work as a team along with how we can provide our bodies with the correct nutrition and exercise to help that team of hormones/chemicals.

The book is only 256 pages and easy to read. I am normally a slow reader and I got through 100 pages the first day my mom brought it home! Also, he wrote The Chemistry of Joy, which I have not seen, read, or heard about, but I'm sure it's fantastic.

During my undergrad, I took a class for Complementary Alternative Medicine and it really sparked an interest in me about considering the things I am exposing myself to (different chemicals in beauty products, conscious food choices, etc.). Then my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer, which really made me want to change my lifestyle and create good habits while kicking out the bad habits. My mom recently went to a conference in St. Paul for breast cancer and came home with this book called The Chemistry of Calm. A Minnesota author wrote it and he made the text very easy to understand, which I appreciated.

It is basically about how to treat your body well to fight anxiety without the use of medications by eating wholesome foods, practicing meditation, using supplements (I personally would not use supplements), and how the hormones/chemicals in our bodies work as a team along with how we can provide our bodies with the correct nutrition and exercise to help that team of hormones/chemicals.

The book is only 256 pages and easy to read. I am normally a slow reader and I got through 100 pages the first day my mom brought it home! Also, he wrote The Chemistry of Joy, which I have not seen, read, or heard about, but I'm sure it's fantastic.

Awesome, thanks for the recommendation! This sounds like a book I would enjoy (and I am with you on the supplement thing - the diet I follow to heal my stomach from longterm antibiotic use for lyme disease says that when our guts are healthy, we don't need supplements because our body is readily able to absorb everything it needs from the food we eat). Definitely going to check this out

I recently read We were Liars and could not put it down. I also loved the Hundred Year Old Man who climbed out of a window.

I just wanted to share a good book I read recently - it's called Orphan Train. I felt it sort of came to a quick end with a lot of loose ends, but the meat of the story was, in my opinion, really good! Have you read anything good recently?

LOVED this book!!

Some other favorites are Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay, Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese, Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn and The Immortal Life of Henrietta Locks.

They're all fabulous in their own way.

This book sounds fascinating!  I'll have to give it a go.  Thanks!

I don't mean this to be a downer but I have just re-read a book that I loved called Losing Your Parents - Finding Yourself by Victoria Secunda.  I know it sounds depressing but it isn't and is amazing and very eye opening.  I was blown away the first time I read it and saw many similarities in my husband's family after both his parents passed. It wouldn't normally be the type of thing I'd read but after I saw her interviewed when the book launched, I was hooked.  Here is a quick description:

A groundbreaking book that explores the impact on one's life of losing a parent in adulthood. Drawing from her study of 100 adults and her own experiences, Secunda addresses a myriad of issues. She also explores how losing a parent reshapes one's sense of self, causing a reevaluation of choices not possible before. 

puppywings likes this

At the moment i read "fierce medicine" by Ana Forrest, the founder of Forrest Yoga. It's about the healing aspect of yoga, the transformative power that lies within mind and body and the absolute amazing story of Ana's life from being a shy and aggressive drug addict to a healthy and balanced yoga hero. Very inspiring!!!

Jilliebabe and yogafire like this

I recently read We were Liars and could not put it down. I also loved the Hundred Year Old Man who climbed out of a window.

I read We Were Liars earlier this year and was totally engrossed as well!

Also I have to second (third?) the Gone Girl recommendations (I love Gillian flynns other books as well.)

Other recent reads:

The Secret Place by Tana French - looooove this author, she writes just magical mystery novels. It's hard to explain how a police investigation novel could be beautiful, but hers are. This isn't my favorite of hers, but I was engrossed nonetheless.

The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (JK Rowling) - really great mystery novel, love the characters, I'm currently reading the next of hers, The Silkworm.

I'm also reading Yoga Mala and a really interesting self-helpy sort of book (the first I've ever been able to bring myself to publicly walk out of the library with lol!) called The Desire Map.

I don't know about any of you but I am obsessed with the Game of Thrones books.  ;)  I can't seem to put them down and after I watched the series the books just go by really quickly. Plus, I love pointing out the differences between books and their movies or shows. 

Robbie likes this

I don't know about any of you but I am obsessed with the Game of Thrones books.  ;)  I can't seem to put them down and after I watched the series the books just go by really quickly. Plus, I love pointing out the differences between books and their movies or shows. 

Yes, I cannot agree with this enough!  I sped through all the books a little while ago and I can't find a new book or series to fill the gap until the next book is released.  :(

Ender's Game is probably one of my favorite reads even though I think it's considered a kids book? I read through Issac Asimov's foundation series which is supposed to be similar but targeted towards adults and it was good, but not quite on par with Ender's Game.  I think I'm feeling a kick towards fantasy books so does anyone have any recommendations other than Game of Thrones?

yogafire likes this

Ender's Game was great! I only read it a few years ago as an adult and was completely captivated. More refined writing than more popular "kid series", so I don't think it's a kids' book but that most fans were exposed to it as a kid growing up.  I don't know if you've played "The Secret of Monkey Island", but we just discovered the Orson Scott Card wrote all the pirate jokes in that game when my husband replayed it recently. And for those who haven't already seen the movie, please read the book before seeing the movie.  They're just different perspectives, and the perspective is ruined if you start with the movie first.

Did you already read the sequels? Wow, I just looked it up - he's been busy and there are 15 more.  I only went up to book 6 and found Speaker for the Dead (#2) and Shadow of the Hegemon (#6) most interesting.  Some of them can get very philosophical and be harder to follow, so I might have skipped around.

For fantasy books, I couldn't read through Lord of the Rings, but I actually enjoyed two other series. I don't know if they're quite "noteworthy" (I'm afraid of derailing this thread), but they're old school fantasy series that I like more than today's more popular Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter (excluding Game of Thrones). This probably makes me sound geeky, so don't worry, I won't be offended if you skip my recs.

1. David Eddings, the first series is The Belgariad (Books 1-5) and the second is The Mallorean (Books 1-5).  Sometimes his writing style bothers me, but it's still entertaining. The series seems most similar to Harry Potter since it involves sorcery.

2. Dragonlance series, based on the same universe as Dungeons & Dragons roleplaying game, which I have never done.  It's very adventure based with different races, so I would say similar to Lord of the Rings style but more interesting character dynamics to me.  I read the Chronicles Triology: Dragons of Autumn Twilight, Dragons of Winter Night, Dragons of Spring Dawning.

At the moment i read "fierce medicine" by Ana Forrest, the founder of Forrest Yoga. It's about the healing aspect of yoga, the transformative power that lies within mind and body and the absolute amazing story of Ana's life from being a shy and aggressive drug addict to a healthy and balanced yoga hero. Very inspiring!!!

Thanks for this rec! This caught my attention because in the beginning, I only wanted to go to vinyasa flow classes, and when I had a Forrest Yoga sub, I freaked out about how long we held poses and didn't like it. Then I found a Forrest Yoga teacher I like and trust a lot. With her constant adjustments, I feel more stable both physically and mentally, without even realizing the connection.  I find this intriguing because my Forrest Yoga teacher doesn't even lecture about philosophy but just makes sure we are doing it right physically and focusing our attention on specific parts of our bodies.  I think I am now in a place to be receptive to these healing aspects, so I'm excited to check out this read!

I am in the middle of Diet Cults by Matt Fitzgerald. Really fascinating read and break down of diet fads, with history and science thrown in as part of his analysis. 

Thanks for this rec! This caught my attention because in the beginning, I only wanted to go to vinyasa flow classes, and when I had a Forrest Yoga sub, I freaked out about how long we held poses and didn't like it. Then I found a Forrest Yoga teacher I like and trust a lot. With her constant adjustments, I feel more stable both physically and mentally, without even realizing the connection.  I find this intriguing because my Forrest Yoga teacher doesn't even lecture about philosophy but just makes sure we are doing it right physically and focusing our attention on specific parts of our bodies.  I think I am now in a place to be receptive to these healing aspects, so I'm excited to check out this read!

I'm reading Fierce Medicine and haven't had a Forrest Yoga class but am going to try to find one in Miami when I'm in town in a few weeks - good read!

I am in the middle of Diet Cults by Matt Fitzgerald. Really fascinating read and break down of diet fads, with history and science thrown in as part of his analysis. 

Ooo this sounds really interesting!