YogaByCandace

Recent Noteworthy Reads

38 posts in this topic

A book a recently read and I'd loved it, it's The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin ! This is her story and she shares all her discoveries about how to be more happy even if you are already grateful for the life you have ! :)

MrBalloonHands likes this

I'm only about 60 pages in (it's 200 pages) but I am loving Ruling Your World by Sakyong Mipham. I can readily admit that I am quick to anger or frustration. I heard about this book in a meditation group and decided to give it a try. I was already trying to become more mindful of my emotions and working on becoming more patient, and this book was a welcome addition. I checked it out from the library and will probably end up buying it in e-book format.

afriske likes this

Sadly school has taken up almost all my free time recently, but coming into the new year, these are some of the books I want to read/re-read:

The Dinner by Herman Koch

The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Gailbrath* / The Silkworm

The Hangman's Daughter by Oliver Potsch

Looking for Alaska by John Green

Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahnuik

The Girl Who Fell from the Sky by Heidi Durrow

It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini*

I'm currently reading The Healing by Saeeda Hafiz. It was in Candace's yoga book recommendations. It took me a while to get into it, but I'm really enjoying it now and the author is really inspirational.

Someone earlier mentioned breast cancer and preventative / healing methods, I'd have to say that "Your Life in Your Hands" by Professor Jane Plant is one of my all-time most inspiring books. I actually read it as a teenager, so many years ago, and I still think of her often. She is still cancer-free since I read the book :)

Zen Golf

I picked up the audio book, and I want to recommend it to everyone - even if you don't golf.

So many good lessons! 

At the moment i read "fierce medicine" by Ana Forrest, the founder of Forrest Yoga. It's about the healing aspect of yoga, the transformative power that lies within mind and body and the absolute amazing story of Ana's life from being a shy and aggressive drug addict to a healthy and balanced yoga hero. Very inspiring!!!

While trying to buy this book, I found this online excerpt as a preview.  I've been struggling on relaxing my neck and keeping my hands and feet active in my Forrest yoga class, and this explains why it's important (when all the cues can feel like polar opposite from traditional instruction).  Hope this helps others, too!

afriske likes this

One of my all-time favorite books is Brief Encounters with Che Guevara: Stories by Ben Fountain. It's a beautifully written and poignant collection of short stories about the human experience surrounded by "social and political upheaval."  

If you like that one then next you should read A Few Short Notes on Tropical Butterflies by John Murray. Another beautiful collection of short stories about the human experience for people "facing change and dislocation."

I recently read The End of Days by Jenny Erpenbeck which is a very creative set up and tells five different versions of the same death at different stages of life illustrating how one small difference can completely alter life. It can take a bit to get into it because the narrator comes from many different characters but once you get comfortable with who they are, it's easy to piece together. 

For something more fun and lighthearted, I absolutely adored Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple. I recommend this to everyone I meet!

Currently reading and loving "don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff" by Richard Carlson. I actually have been carrying it with my everywhere I go :) 

Currently reading and loving "don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff" by Richard Carlson. I actually have been carrying it with my everywhere I go :)

I read this book too. I'm usually a high stressed person who worries too much.  A friend of mine gave it to me as a "gift". It wasn't funny at first, but I did get some use out of the read.

Oh my! This list has caused me to add so many books to my "to-read" list on my Good Reads app (which was already up to 59 books!)

I don't know about any of you but I am obsessed with the Game of Thrones books.  ;)  I can't seem to put them down and after I watched the series the books just go by really quickly. Plus, I love pointing out the differences between books and their movies or shows. 

I just started reading the Gamoe of Thrones books last month. I'm still on the first book - work has me crazy busy - and I am absolutely in love! I have only watched most of the first season of Game of Thrones. I'm definitely stoked to read how it ends!

I am the worst about pointing out the differences between books and movies. A long time ago, it seems, the movie companies would actually try to make the movie like the book. Nowadays, I feel like the only thing that is kept are the characters names.

Around the age of 13, I was introduced to the movie Fried Green Tomatoes. My best friend and I have watched it together at least 15 times, and many more on my own count. Three years ago I finally picked up the book and gave it a try. I was absolutely shocked by how many differences there were between the book and movie! Just for that fact, and of course the story, nothing could make me put it down except for exhaustion and hunger. Lol

I have ready several crime thriller books - my favorite being written by James Patterson, the Womens Murder Club series.

Just this year I got into reading more of the sci-fi type books - werewolves, vampires, etc. There are currently eight books in this series and I read them all in about two to three months (school had me busy or I would have read them much faster ;] ) It is the Mercy Thompson series written by Patricia Briggs. She has several other books as well but I am determined to start reading the books I have yet touched before buying any more!

Hello, everyone!! :) It`s my first forum in my life)) Could you give me advice about some interesting books of yoga?

Hello, everyone!! :) It`s my first forum in my life)) Could you give me advice about some interesting books of yoga?

Yay! Congrats!

I'm reading a book right now called Eastern Body, Western Mind and so far it's awesome! If you're interested in psychology and chakras I highly recommend it. It has given me new insight for self-healing.

Here is Candace's post on books for total beginnershttp://yogabycandace.com/blog/2015/1/4/18-yoga-books-for-total-beginners?rq=yoga books

I recommend the Bhagavad Gita and The Yoga Sutras if you're looking to go deeper in your practice. I haven't read them yet, but they're always books people recommend. 

YogaByCandace likes this