Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
allieoxenfree

Yoga Layers?

8 posts in this topic

Now that it's starting to get a bit chilly here in NYC, I'm thinking I need to invest in some yoga layers! I do almost all of my practice at home, and sometimes it is extra chilly in my apartment in the mornings, when my radiator hasn't kicked on. (Like many NYC residents, I don't have any control over my apartment's heat!)

So, any recommendations? I usually just wear a loose sweatshirt, lol, but it flops all over and isn't the best. Would love some links too!!

Oak and Yogabliss like this

How about Uniqlo's heat tech long sleeve shirts?  I wore them as base layers for everyday wear and for skiing last year. I loved how thin it was while still radiating heat back from my skin. I saw monks shopping at Uniqlo in Taiwan and realized they were there for the heat tech, too!

I bought this sheer glow jacket from Athleta recently, as a thin layer to use while running outside (the idea is that it's lightweight enough to tie around my waist when I don't need it, but it hasn't gotten that cold yet for me to test). The fit is snug, so much that it won't stay on by itself unzipped.  I just tested doing downward dog with it on - the hoodie slides down, but it's so lightweight that it's not bothersome to me, but, it may be distracting for you.

Maybe a long sleeve moisture wicking top will do? C9 from Champion has some cute styles. I found that if the shirt is long enough, it won't slide up when doing downward dog.

If you prefer a warmer and thicker material with a tighter fit so it doesn't flop, what about a fitted sweatshirt from American Apparel? I wear mine around the house so my sleeves don't get in the way when I prep food!

This is such a good question because I just saw some "yoga outfits" on Fabletics categorized as "layers", but they seemed impractical. For instance, one had a loose, flowy cardigan that doesn't seem to make sense for practicing with it on, and the layer underneath that was a sports bra.  So... I guess that layer may have been just a cover up on the way to class? Not sure!

Stay warm! I wonder if doing some light cardio like jumping jacks might be good to warm up muscles before yoga practice?  Then you can keep the same wardrobe year round!  

Yogabliss and yogagrammy like this

Um, I think I love you!! These are AMAZING suggestions! I didn't know about those Uniqlo heat-tech shirts--I think I might pick up a couple for yoga and running! I pass a Uniqlo all the time, ha. And they have heat-teach leg warmers too! Eek. Thank you so much!

I am obsessed with athleta's "breathe" collection long sleeve shirts (and short sleeves in the summer).  They are the only thing I can practice in the whole time, sweatshirts and zipups/jackets I always have to take off because they annoy me.  They are $$ but I wear each of them (I have three) 1-2x/week at least.  

Just a little note about Uniqlo's heat tech, I had a look at these in the London store and they have a coating that's not the most eco friendly/skin friendly so just be careful if you're sensitive to that kind of stuff :)

i like those champion shirts

im currently looking for thigh high socks and/or legwarmers...i don't know if i even need them, i get pretty warm during yoga...but i do yoga in front of a mirror and i enjoy seeing myself in cute outfits...i know it's vain, but idc lol

I am obsessed with athleta's "breathe" collection long sleeve shirts (and short sleeves in the summer).  They are the only thing I can practice in the whole time, sweatshirts and zipups/jackets I always have to take off because they annoy me.  They are $$ but I wear each of them (I have three) 1-2x/week at least.  

Ooh, I really like those! Gah, my heart might explode if I bought a $69 top... maybe it can be a Christmas present to myself, lol. 

Just a little note about Uniqlo's heat tech, I had a look at these in the London store and they have a coating that's not the most eco friendly/skin friendly so just be careful if you're sensitive to that kind of stuff :)

Thank you for the info! I will definitely examine them before I pick one up. I am going to stop by Uniqlo tomorrow.

i like those champion shirts

im currently looking for thigh high socks and/or legwarmers...i don't know if i even need them, i get pretty warm during yoga...but i do yoga in front of a mirror and i enjoy seeing myself in cute outfits...i know it's vain, but idc lol

Girl, I'm with you there!!

I recently got this one, which I like a lot from a brand called ALALA (they sell it at free people).

Generally I just wear loose tops from splendid and current elliott that I wear off the mat as well. 

For bottoms, though, I la-la-love adding leg warmers. The sweaty betty pair I posted on a few weeks ago is my JAM. So good!! They can be worn high as shown, which I love because it feels like you're wearing two pairs of pants, haha, or you can bunch them down.