Katie

Mala Bead Meditation

7 posts in this topic

I am looking to start a meditation practice and I think that mala bead meditation will be good for me.  If I have something tangible to focus on, that also has a tangible end I think it will serve me better than just setting a timer and trying to meditate (if people even set timers?)

I found some mala beads that I am going to purchase on etsy.  What I am looking for is recommendations of mantras to use with the mala beads. I did some research online and didn't find much.  Maybe I am looking for the wrong thing.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

laceyd likes this

Do a search for Metta prayers. I fell in loving with meditating after reading Lovingkindness. There are a lot of mantras and prayers suggestions in that book. I also got myself some mala prayer beads to use and I love them!!

KristiSmithYoga likes this

You can never go wrong with Om!  Even if you choose another mantra to meditate on for your Japa Mala, I think it is lovely to sort of "activate" your mala by having Om be the first mantra you chant with it (all 108 times).  Om encompasses the entire Universe, and when you chant Om you acknowledge that you are not just a drop in the ocean, but you have that entire Divine ocean within you.  You are acknowledging that you are already complete in yourself, already in unity with all that is, and that any thoughts or beliefs contradicting that are simply illusion/maya.

I would ask yourself, "What is my intention?"  My intention is to connect with the truth that is in my heart, which is divine bliss, love, and unity.  Some people have intentions of intelligence, abundance, peace, service, etc. etc.  Also another helpful thing for me was to start listening to Kirtan (I suggest Krishna Das, Ragani, and Bhagavan Das).  Kirtan has helped me with pronunciation, and has also helped me discover which mantras feel best in my heart energetically.

Here are some wonderful mantras that you could explore:

Om Shanti Shanti Shanti ~ Om Peace Peace Peace

Om Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu ~ May all beings everywhere be happy and free, and may my thoughts, words, and actions contribute in some way to that happiness and freedom.

Sat Nam ~ The True Name, or I am Truth, or The name of God is Truth

So Hum ~ I am that.  Also that Universal sound of breath.  So is the inhalation, and Hum is the exhalation.

Hari Om ~ All that is.  It is a heart opener that removes obstacles and awakens Prana.

Om Namah Shivaya ~ I bow to Shiva, or I bow to my true self.

Om Mane Padme Hum ~ The Jewel of the Lotus Heart

Here is also a list of chants from Deepak Chopra for manifestation:

http://www.chopra.com/ccl-meditation/21dmc/energy-of-attraction-mantras.html

Good luck and many blessings on your journey! <3

Ashley

I'm thinking about possibly doing a DIY mala. I already made a meditation bracelet for myself and it was even meditative to create. Any thoughts or methods of doing this? Do you guys know of any good brands or places I should look for the beads?

KristiSmithYoga and fshliz09 like this

You can never go wrong with Om!  Even if you choose another mantra to meditate on for your Japa Mala, I think it is lovely to sort of "activate" your mala by having Om be the first mantra you chant with it (all 108 times).  Om encompasses the entire Universe, and when you chant Om you acknowledge that you are not just a drop in the ocean, but you have that entire Divine ocean within you.  You are acknowledging that you are already complete in yourself, already in unity with all that is, and that any thoughts or beliefs contradicting that are simply illusion/maya.

I would ask yourself, "What is my intention?"  My intention is to connect with the truth that is in my heart, which is divine bliss, love, and unity.  Some people have intentions of intelligence, abundance, peace, service, etc. etc.  Also another helpful thing for me was to start listening to Kirtan (I suggest Krishna Das, Ragani, and Bhagavan Das).  Kirtan has helped me with pronunciation, and has also helped me discover which mantras feel best in my heart energetically.

Here are some wonderful mantras that you could explore:

Om Shanti Shanti Shanti ~ Om Peace Peace Peace

Om Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu ~ May all beings everywhere be happy and free, and may my thoughts, words, and actions contribute in some way to that happiness and freedom.

Sat Nam ~ The True Name, or I am Truth, or The name of God is Truth

So Hum ~ I am that.  Also that Universal sound of breath.  So is the inhalation, and Hum is the exhalation.

Hari Om ~ All that is.  It is a heart opener that removes obstacles and awakens Prana.

Om Namah Shivaya ~ I bow to Shiva, or I bow to my true self.

Om Mane Padme Hum ~ The Jewel of the Lotus Heart

Here is also a list of chants from Deepak Chopra for manifestation:

http://www.chopra.com/ccl-meditation/21dmc/energy-of-attraction-mantras.html

Good luck and many blessings on your journey! <3

Ashley

ALL of what Ashley wrote! I wish there was a way to bookmark this :):D

I'm thinking about possibly doing a DIY mala. I already made a meditation bracelet for myself and it was even meditative to create. Any thoughts or methods of doing this? Do you guys know of any good brands or places I should look for the beads?

Traditionally, the material of the beads is chosen very intentionally. I doubt that most folks in the West consider this, and in many ways it probably doesn't matter much. But I wanted to mention it. I picked up a mala from a tiny shop owned by a local Tibetan refugee a few days ago, and I had to ask her what it was made out of, because it was not like others I had seen. It turns out that it was made from buffalo horn by Tibetan refugees living in India. Knowing a bit of history behind the specific mala I chose made it all the more special to me - kind of "activated" it in a way as Ashley described in the part about trying "om".

I don't know where to go to buy beads, but I've come across a few sites that sell kits when looking for instructions on how to restring another mala. If you make one, post pictures please!

afriske likes this

:):D

Traditionally, the material of the beads is chosen very intentionally. I doubt that most folks in the West consider this, and in many ways it probably doesn't matter much. But I wanted to mention it. I picked up a mala from a tiny shop owned by a local Tibetan refugee a few days ago, and I had to ask her what it was made out of, because it was not like others I had seen. 

I don't know where to go to buy beads, but I've come across a few sites that sell kits when looking for instructions on how to restring another mala. If you make one, post pictures please!

Yeah I thought I would ask because if I make one I want it to be of eastern quality,  for lack of a better phrase. I want the beads to be authentic. It would be the same deal as if I wanted to buy one. Just contemplating options! :) thank you!

Edited by afriske
KristiSmithYoga likes this

A mantra must come from the heart for it to be effective, it has to be something meaningful to you weather in Sanskrit or one you make up yourself - as long as it comes from a place of sincerity and devotion you can use it effectively for your practice!

msinkblot and Jake like this