EmilyC

Slippery Manduka Mat

16 posts in this topic

I recently purchased the Manduka ProLite, and my hands slide every time I use it (before my palms even start to get sweaty).  I've been using it daily for 3 weeks without much improvement.  The package insert from Manduka mentions a sea salt scrub, but I'm a little nervous about taking a scrub brush to my not-so-small investment.  Has anyone tried this?  Any other suggestions to speed up the "break-in" process?

Mana and Memphisyoga like this

I have this same problem! I bought the mat a few months ago and have been using it daily and it's not AS slippery as it was initially, but it's still fairly slippery. I am always slipping too, even if it's a more gentle practice and I'm not particularly sweaty. I keep meaning to try the salt scrub, but haven't gotten around to it. I would love to hear if anyone else has done it and if it has worked.

Memphisyoga likes this

I am almost positive that Manduka has a lifetime guarantee (or the pro series does at least, so you should still be ok), but I definitely recommend breaking it in either with a salt scrub or just a damp wash cloth to get that light film off that makes it sticky. I've done it with my black mat pro and it definitely helped a bit!

Oak, jaime, Yogabliss and 1 other like this

I scrubbed the dickens out of my Manduka pro mat using coarse sea salt and a very stiff scrub brush a couple of times, but it didn't see to help all that much. I would still recommend doing it and also maybe using a strong dish soap to get the film off.  The two things that made a difference for mine was leaving it out in the sun all day (on a not too hot day) a few times, and giving it a weekly wipe down with an antibacterial cleanser wipe.  Also, I make sure to wash my hands before my practice since that seems to improve the grip.  For me, the slightest bit of oily moisture makes it slick although it is much better now a year in. It takes a lot to hurt these mats so really don't be afraid to abuse it a bit, as it seems to like it!

jaime and Memphisyoga like this

Thank you for the feedback!  I gave the Manduka a good salt scrub last weekend, but I'm still slipping like Bambi on ice.  I'm sure others have success with this mat, but for me it's just not worth the hassle and wrist pain.  I came across this pretty comprehensive mat review and thought it might be helpful for others who are blessed/cursed with hands that won't stay put.  http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-yoga-mat/

Also found this mother of all mats, but it's pretty pricey:  http://liforme.com/us/

I am not sure about this mat in particular but some info for all rubber mats or rubberized plastic. When any mat is made it will have some industrial process crud on it. It is really gross how much stuff is on there. Wash it twice. Start with strong laundry soap and let it soak on the surface for 30 minutes or longer. And scrub it with a rag as well. This will get the crud off but create another problem. Any soap that has fragrance or perfume will leave a slippery surface. To get rid of that find a mild soap without fragrance.  I use Ivory hand soap.The one that says 99% pure. And a quick second wash.

It could be the rubber surface is slippery when clean. The problem is everyone has a different idea what slippery is. Some of us like the mat a little slippery for rolling over the toes and jumping back. But the hands shouldn't slip.

EmilyC and YogaByCandace like this

Also found this mother of all mats, but it's pretty pricey:  http://liforme.com/us/

I was looking at this the other day and am considering buying it...every review I have read has been 5 stars, no complaints to be seen. Whereas other brands tend to have very mixed reviews about grip (i.e. Manduka).

I got my manduka black pro for Xmas and im just getting around to use it and it indeed is slippery , you can feel the coating on top, I tried the salt scrubb and the difference was very little , I also tried a baking soda and a bit of water scrubb and that helped a lot more, but it still was kinda slippery to my opininon, so I went ahead and got a very fine grade sanding sponge, and rubed my mat with it in a circular motion and it feels like the coating is finally gone or at least is not slippery anymore , Im very happy with my mat now it took a bit of work but it is totally worth it

EmilyC and Reggi like this

I had a manduka mat for a while and same thing, slippery. Nothing helped (salt scrub) :( I eventually returned it and got the lululemon mat. Has anyone tried that one? I'm officially obsessed and convinced my boyfriend and friend to buy it too :)

I had a manduka mat for a while and same thing, slippery. Nothing helped (salt scrub) :( I eventually returned it and got the lululemon mat. Has anyone tried that one? I'm officially obsessed and convinced my boyfriend and friend to buy it too :)

I tried the manduka prolite mat and salt scrub helped a bit but I use it mostly for restorative practice now .

I have a Lululemon mat "  the mat"  and it's really not slippery at all, even when I wish it would be just a little bit, so I sometimes wear socks when I want more fluidity in some transitions. It's definitely not a slippery mat but as it is ultra-absorbent you have to make sure you clean it after a sweaty practice. 

I bought the Manduka Pro recently but it was really slippery. This is especially the case once I started sweating just a little bit, and it was impossible to hold poses like downward dog without having my palms slide forward. I did the salt scrub and left it out to air dry. In my next yoga class, I was sliding again. This time, when I did the wheel, I almost slipped and fell out of the pose. This was extremely dangerous as I could have injured myself. 

I came back and did the salt scrub again, this time with a little bit more water. I also added some liquid soap, which I read about in some forums and it worked for them. I used a Scotch scour pad to scrub the mat. This time I noticed that bits of the mat had come off (black bits), which I discovered to my horror, since nowhere have I read that the mat can disintegrate so easily. On top of that, my mat has not dried. It's been one full day since I did the second scrub down and it is still damp (I left it out to dry in the sun, and then after that, air drying it overnight). It's even more slippery than ever before, almost like a slide. It is impossible to use as a mat. 

I plan to dry it out in the sun all day tomorrow, but if this doesn't work I am really at my wit's end on what to do. (Probably resort to another mat...) 
Memphisyoga likes this

I had the problem of the slippery Manduka Black Pro.

I did the salt scrub just once and it was perfect.

I followed @Anahata's advice and used some Ivory soap plus some luke warm water and a dish cloth. I needed to give it some proper elbow grease and not be afraid to give it a really hard scrub to get the film off. With enough water you'll create some of that white sudsy stuff, I then used the hard side of a washing up sponge to give it a further scrub before  wiping off any remaining soap with clean water. I found after leaving to dry, my mat was a lot more grippy slippy, but my hands still slipped a little. So I also bought some rosin to use with it and combined with the scrub method - it's pretty good! 

I think I'll give it a salt scrub too and am confident it'll be just fine after this. The improvement I've seen so far has been significant from the soap scrub but it does need a lot of effort to get this horrible film off. Pain in the bum but worth it as I find this mat (Prolite) super cushioned and lightweight for it's thickness! Thanks for the tip @Anahata :)

4 hours ago, Carrie said:

... used some Ivory soap plus some luke warm water and a dish cloth....

What works with one brand, may not work with another.

Always check with the mat manufacturer as to cleaning instructions. Some mats (Jade, for example) should be cleaned with warm water only as they can trap the soap (or shampoo, etc.) and become slick