Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thaijackjordan

Headstand

10 posts in this topic

Today I decided to try the steps for a headstand.The furthest I get is the dolphin pose which I expected but because I can't remember the last time I tried a headstand (childhood days maybe) but not because it hurt the top of my head. I can stay in dolphin pose for a few seconds but it feels uncomfortable on the crown of my head.

Has anyone experienced the uncomfortable feeling and does it go away?

Yogabliss likes this

Hmm, I would recommend examining where you are putting the most pressure into your mat as you move into headstand. You are balancing on your head in headstand, but most of the pressure and pressing into the mat should come from your forearms if you're in bound headstand or from your hands if you're in tripod headstand. I try to imagine that, as I am pressing my forearms or hands into the mat, I'm also actively lifting my body up and away from my head. I hope this helps! =)

thaijackjordan and Yogabliss like this

I can stay in dolphin pose for a few seconds but it feels uncomfortable on the crown of my head.

Thaijackjordan, You are correct to ask about this. Because "Yoga should never hurt. Not while we are practicing and not afterwards."

Sirsasana - headstand is mostly about having the necessary core strength and there is not really much skill involved. When you say that you can only hold dolphin pose for a few seconds that is good sign that the core strength isn't there yet. And like the others have said it is important to have a strong base to keep the weight off the head.

The base for headstand and dolphin are basically the same. It is important to keep the elbows the same width as the shoulders. Have the entire length of the fingers to the outside of the arms for the correct distance. The stability in the pose comes from having a long base in the forearms, not a wide base. Also the weight goes into the forearms, elbows and wrists. Not into the hands. For correct hand placement lightly clasp the tips of the fingers, just at the tips. The hands never tilt outwards, slightly inwards is fine. The weight goes into the base of the wrist, not the hands. The video above, from Candace is very good but it is hard to see the fine details a video.

It would be a good idea to do about million dolphins before trying headstand. Just do it three times a day and the strength will build up quickly. Some postures use headstand as a starting point then push up so the head is completely off the ground like Pincha Mayurasana. You want to get this sensation in dolphin of being able to hold your entire weight up before attempting more.
thaijackjordan likes this