tawlglass

Favorite Ways To Sequence A Class?

5 posts in this topic

Hello all :-) 

100% new to this forum, but I've been checking out Candace's blog since the summer. Love that there's a space for practitioners to talk outside the studio/wherever else we gather :-p

I am almost certified to teach yoga (a minor injury prevented me from finishing this summer, but I'll be done by early next yr). For the last few weeks, I've been having this itch to start writing sequences, and I find inspiration in all sorts of ways.

For example, recently, I was listening to a slow jams/lovin' type of playlist, and in all the songs about how to love someone else, I thought... What about students loving themSELVES?? 

How do you all like to make up your sequences?

Interested to hear how other people create their flow, and what inspires you to bust out a pen and paper to put it all together! 

:-* 

MrBalloonHands likes this

I love this thread! Welcome to the forum! 

I'm inspired by all sorts of things - either a reading or a particular song. Or sometimes I'll just be playing around in my own self practice and a playful flow with just sort of evolve. And when I'm in a funk - the yoga teacher's "writer's block" - I'll go to a workshop or master class because I generally find the sequences to be funky and different which I love, and those will inspire me to try something new in my sequencing.

tawlglass likes this

Hey Candace! 

Thank you ^_^

Yes, reading and playing around with the body is another way to come up with some random goods! The workshop idea is great- there are so many going on at a bunch of studios. 

Do you think it's necessary to incorporate sun salutations?

It's such an vital part of yoga and moves the body in practically all of its rotations, etc. But is it not "ok" to not include it in a sequence if it seems out of place to do so? I don't always pay attention to how teachers sequence/notice if they specifically incorporate a full sun sal.

Thanks for replying! 

:-* 

For me, the most important thing is that the body is prepped for what's been planned. How the body gets prepped (i.e. sun salutes or not) makes no difference, in my opinion. I'm going to do a post soon on sequencing that will include an instagram project if you want to participate. I think it'll really get the creative juices flowing for new or current yoga teachers, and students who want to develop a home practice. Keep your eyes on the blog, it'll be up soon! 

Meugenio likes this

OOoh it's awesome that you respond to posts! 

Thank you- that really clears things up. Yoga sequencing is moving into a contemporary flow (flowing with music & flowing with the body rather than doing what tradition would say to). It's only a bad thing when when instructors make music more important. Loud music is distracting and shouldn't be so important to a yoga class. Unless the flow is right and the song isn't there just to be 'there'

YES I want to participate!! Will follow you on Instagram today: @tawlglass

Also, if interested, I started a yoga hashtag and would love if other people participated (lol) in #SillyYogaSaturday- all you must do is any yoga pose with a silly face or silly anything. The goal is to lighten up a practice that's evolving into an audience-based competition due to platforms like Instagram... So far, so good! Currently I post one every other Sat. 

:31:  :30: