Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
YogaByCandace

Yoga Class Pet Peeves?

54 posts in this topic

Doing something on one side but not the other!!  I know that logically nothing will change in the long run by missing revolved triangle on the left in one class, but it drove me nuts that I missed it in class last Sunday.  Although as  teacher I am sure I have done it before myself.  I have actually asked classes before if I have done a long sequence and think I may have missed something I say "please let me know if we are uneven!"

YogaByCandace likes this

Doing something on one side but not the other!!  I know that logically nothing will change in the long run by missing revolved triangle on the left in one class, but it drove me nuts that I missed it in class last Sunday.  Although as  teacher I am sure I have done it before myself.  I have actually asked classes before if I have done a long sequence and think I may have missed something I say "please let me know if we are uneven!"

You're awesome! I'm going to start saying that! What a great way to let ourselves off the hook and start experimenting with longer sequences!

christinakc and Reggi like this

I can't say I have any pet peeves about yoga class because I've only been to a handful. I practice at home and use videos and an online subscription for yoga. I live in a small rural town and we just don't have a yoga studio here. We now have a yoga teacher that teaches 3 times a week but I work nights and it just doesn't work with my schedule. 

YogaByCandace likes this

People chatting and laughing loudly in the room before the class starts.  :mellow:

I couldn't agree more. I like a quiet room so I can get my mind and breathing ready for the practice. I hate all the loud energy before class.  :(

Things that occurs during the final relax in savana: sonring, mobile phones ringing,  things which unexpectedly falls making a huge noise..... (today, during savasana, a pilates ball fell from its shelf  on an iron tea pot ,making the iron tea pot fall on the floor and almost causing a heart attack to the whole class... :huh: )

Things that occurs during the final relax in savana: sonring, mobile phones ringing,  things which unexpectedly falls making a huge noise..... (today, during savasana, a pilates ball fell from its shelf  on an iron tea pot ,making the iron tea pot fall on the floor and almost causing a heart attack to the whole class... :huh: )

Mobile phones and idle chatting during savasana is my one big pet peeve, too.  I love the feeling of disconnecting from the static of the world, and focusing inward.  Hard to do that when people are telling kids to start dinner because they're leaving soon.  Okay, I have one more - leaving savasana early.  The funniest "Keep Calm" meme I ever saw was "Keep Calm and Finish your Savasana!" Hehe.

I really can't stand others stepping on my mat. I have a hard time not to freak out if it's the studio's mat and it's ever harder to keep calm if anyone touches my own mat...with bare feet :angry:

I might be weird but it's just that I feel like they violate my private space, it's definitely too close.

I really can't stand others stepping on my mat. I have a hard time not to freak out if it's the studio's mat and it's ever harder to keep calm if anyone touches my own mat...with bare feet :angry:

I might be weird but it's just that I feel like they violate my private space, it's definitely too close.

I 100% agree with you! This kills me!!!

yogagrammy likes this

Could not agree more with chatting during class! But i think my biggest peeve is not holding positions for the same length on each side.

MrBalloonHands likes this

ok i dont have many pet peeves with other people, but with myself...i just cant be alone with my thoughts...savasana is tortue 

i love yoga but it's hard for me to clear my mind...there is almost always soul and r&b music playing because i think way too much lol...working on it i guess

i agree with chatting especially during balancing poses lol

General pet peeves:  I also get annoyed with people talking too loudly before AND after class.  I mean really - it's not a cocktail party!!  Before is a bit irritating but after is really a vibe destroyer!  Just my opinion but I have been trying to remember what my teachers have suggested which is to consider the threshold of the doorway to our yoga studio the point at which you remind yourself to relax, let go of everything 'out there' and focus on calm, etc.  Most of us speak softly but there are still a few regulars that can't seem to help themselves.

Also, people coming in late is very disruptive as well as some who SLAP their mats down loudly!!  GEEEEZE!!!  Okay, I'm working on the judgmental thang!    :-) 

I have two pet peeves. One is people leaving before savasana. It's just rude and disruptive. I understand if someone really has somewhere to get to, but I've noticed it's the same people that leave early every time. I hate hearing the sounds while in savasana. My other pet peeve would be the teacher talking too fast/too much. I went to one class where the teacher told some dumb story about her getting her dry cleaning or something. It was really distracting and I never went back to her class. 

YogaByCandace likes this

I'm so glad that other people are bothered by uneven sequences, that makes me crazy!

Also personal space is a huge thing for me... Just generally, in life lol.

Another thing that bothers me is if teachers are trying too hard to be the stereotypical hippie yogi. Not to be unkind, but just because we all love yoga & the yoga lifestyle doesn't mean that during a yoga class I need the teacher to be an enlightened goddess who sounds vaguely toasted. ;)

This probably shouldn't bother me, but there's one woman who I've seen a couple of times in class who consistently stays one to one and a half poses behind the flow. She's in the same rhythm as the class, but just a couple of moves behind. I think it bugs me because I have no idea how it would offer any benefit, I would be confused to still be in the motion of one pose and the teacher is telling me where to move my arms for the next pose. Very odd. But also makes me aware of me not "focusing on my own work" so to speak, and comparing myself with others is something I struggle with in class!

YogaByCandace likes this

Ive only had one incident so far in my new yoga journey. I took a new instructor for a mixed level class. He was trying to push us to go further in our backbends and tended to stay in areas HE was good at. Lots of core work and spine work. I ended up having issues with my back for a week. So i guess my pet peeve is not mixing up the moves enough and working one area? :unsure:

I 100% agree with you! This kills me!!!

One time I was at a workshop and everyone was to go to the wall, I was on the end next to the wall and two other people came and stood on my mat! I felt kind of foolish because everyone else who was on the end by the wall was having the same issue but none seemed as uptight about it but me! I looked at everyone else and they seemed calm and taking it in stride so I believe I hid my disapproval well but inside I was thinking "OH NO! STRANGERS BARE FEET ON MY MAT!!!" i lived through it and when the days class was over I went back to the hotel and cleaned it well. To make it worse I had just gotten a fabulous towel and that was also over my mat!!! I had to wash it in the hotel shower and hang it to dry overnight. EEEEKS!

Ive only had one incident so far in my new yoga journey. I took a new instructor for a mixed level class. He was trying to push us to go further in our backbends and tended to stay in areas HE was good at. Lots of core work and spine work. I ended up having issues with my back for a week. So i guess my pet peeve is not mixing up the moves enough and working one area? :unsure:

oh man, that can be super dangerous. always listen to your body and remember you are the client, this is your class, and you have every right to do your own thing. :huh:

Reggi likes this

Could not agree more with chatting during class! But i think my biggest peeve is not holding positions for the same length on each side.

I'm also with you on this one OAK!   :wacko:

I really dislike crowded classes. I've been lucky so far that I've only been in one large class. I discount the yoga workshop I went to because it was restorative in nature.

I walked out of one class because the instructor was just yelling out poses but not demonstrating them. It was frustrating for a beginner like me. It was a mixed level class (1-2) so I expected some instruction. The teacher came running after me but I just wanted to get out of there. 

This probably shouldn't bother me, but there's one woman who I've seen a couple of times in class who consistently stays one to one and a half poses behind the flow. She's in the same rhythm as the class, but just a couple of moves behind. I think it bugs me because I have no idea how it would offer any benefit, I would be confused to still be in the motion of one pose and the teacher is telling me where to move my arms for the next pose. Very odd. But also makes me aware of me not "focusing on my own work" so to speak, and comparing myself with others is something I struggle with in class!

DO you think this is something she is doing on purpose?  I find myself behind often in one of the classes I regularly take, the teacher just moves too fast for me (especially for a 6:15am class!)  I am a yoga teacher and a physical therapist so I just cannot  bring myself to get sloppy form to keep up.  I hope I am not annoying people around me!!

yogafire and MrBalloonHands like this

I agree, when an instructor leaves a pose out of a sequence on one side. You feel imbalanced, so sometimes I just go ahead and do it myself. I also also don't like people constantly checking their phones...ugh! Give yourself the 60-90 minutes to completely detox on on all levels.

MrBalloonHands likes this