Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
YogaByCandace

Yoga Class Pet Peeves?

54 posts in this topic

I really dislike spending more time on one side than the other, or missing poses on one side.

I also dislike it when the class is nearly empty and a student (always a man) comes in unrolls his mat an inch away from mine. Give me space! 

Worst pet peeve is when someone walks over my mat. Another is when people talk during the class!!

Wow, I can't believe someone would do that. That's incredibly rude.

For me, it's people talking loudly after class. I get nice and quiet during savasana and then right after they just kind of ruin it right away.

YogaByCandace and Yogabliss like this

I went to a class today and I normally do not get annoyed by many things ,but today was such a surprise, I happened to have my mat next to a guy that has shoulder lenght curly silver hair and he does not tie it or anything liek that, but then as the class went on and he touched his hair, it kept falling, like a ton! And it was all over the floor and all over his mat, we are talking like a bucket full worth of shed hair , and I thought no big deal, and then in the middle of plank pose he starts blowing it of his mat and blowing it of the floor and onto my mat!!!!!!!!!! The 1st time I tried to ignore it but after he did it repeatedly it kinda got on my nerves , we are talking all over my mat and my towel , so I kinda blowed on it a bit just to try and get it of my mat and tried to not loose it thougout the class , but it was horrendous ! It is the 1st time I was glad the class was over and that is so sad because I don't get to go to a studio that often and when I do I try to enjoy it to the max but this was the exception

I went to a class today and I normally do not get annoyed by many things ,but today was such a surprise, I happened to have my mat next to a guy that has shoulder lenght curly silver hair and he does not tie it or anything liek that, but then as the class went on and he touched his hair, it kept falling, like a ton! And it was all over the floor and all over his mat, we are talking like a bucket full worth of shed hair , and I thought no big deal, and then in the middle of plank pose he starts blowing it of his mat and blowing it of the floor and onto my mat!!!!!!!!!! The 1st time I tried to ignore it but after he did it repeatedly it kinda got on my nerves , we are talking all over my mat and my towel , so I kinda blowed on it a bit just to try and get it of my mat and tried to not loose it thougout the class , but it was horrendous ! It is the 1st time I was glad the class was over and that is so sad because I don't get to go to a studio that often and when I do I try to enjoy it to the max but this was the exception

I literally just sat here saying, "Nooo" repeatedly out loud while reading this. That is inSANE. 

KatieD and Yogabliss like this

I would totally freak out! I have a hair issue sometimes!

Yogabliss likes this

That is totally disgusting!!!  Which leads to my only pet peeve so far...I don't like seeing the dust and shed hairs all over the floor.  I don't recall noticing this the first few classes I went to but the last couple classes I've noticed it and it has really irked me.

Yogabliss likes this

That is totally disgusting!!!  Which leads to my only pet peeve so far...I don't like seeing the dust and shed hairs all over the floor.  I don't recall noticing this the first few classes I went to but the last couple classes I've noticed it and it has really irked me.

Maybe you can ask the front desk if they have a dust mop? One of the studios I go to has one stored in the same closet for props, and I noticed a fellow student taking it out and running in around the room before putting her mat down because there were some dust bunnies floating around.  Doesn't happen too often, but, now I understand why!

YogaByCandace and Yogabliss like this

My pet peeves are people slapping down their mats before class, people snoring (loudly!) in savasana, and extremely loud ujjayi breathing. Not that I feel we should all practice in silence or anything, but I guess I must be sensitive to excessive noise during yoga. 

I haven't experienced anyone blowing hair onto my mat but that would definitely freak me out!!

I don't like it when the whole class is left hanging in a difficult pose while the instructor is giving a lengthy adjustment with detailed explanation to one person. 

YogaByCandace likes this

I agree with so many of these peeves, especially the punctuality one.  I'm a stickler for being on time.

Some of my very personal pet peeves are:  music during class (not all of it is bad but I usually find it obtrusive), a lot of talk about chakras and/or chanting (the occasional Om is okay), and the tendency for so many of the classes that I go to to resort to shoulder stand as the final inversion.  I have to be careful with my scoliosis/kyphosis, so even though I can do a pretty good shoulder stand, something even as simple as legs up the wall is more beneficial for me. Honestly, with so many people hunched over their desks all day, I don't really get the popularity of shoulder stand! 

YogaByCandace likes this

I agree with so many of these peeves, especially the punctuality one.  I'm a stickler for being on time.

Some of my very personal pet peeves are:  music during class (not all of it is bad but I usually find it obtrusive), a lot of talk about chakras and/or chanting (the occasional Om is okay), and the tendency for so many of the classes that I go to to resort to shoulder stand as the final inversion.  I have to be careful with my scoliosis/kyphosis, so even though I can do a pretty good shoulder stand, something even as simple as legs up the wall is more beneficial for me. Honestly, with so many people hunched over their desks all day, I don't really get the popularity of shoulder stand! 

Yes. I actually have a great shoulder stand (so I have been told haha) but I just hate it.  I don't feel good in it.  To be honest (and someone mentioned this as their pet peeve so...) I haven't done a shoulder stand in at least a year plus.  I do headstand, or just lie with my hips on a block or scootch to the wall for legs up the wall.  Now, I only take headstand if they say "take an inversion of your choice" but I never hesitate to take legs straight up on a block or the wall.

Not to mention I see some horrible form and it makes me cringe.  I know there is controversy about this opinion but I think it is a pretty unsafe pose for many people andso easy to do wrong.

YogaByCandace and candace like this

Melanie, I totally agree with you! I really dislike it when people slap down their mats before class; why can't we all just gently roll them out?!

I slapped my mat down by accident the other day and chuckled to myself thinking of this post.  I was alone in the class at the time so no one was bothered however, I can see how it would be annoying.

yogafire, Yogabliss and fshliz09 like this

My pet peeve is vrksasana.  If you're male, this pose presents hideous agony problems if not paying attention.  :huh:  :angry::ph34r:

Try modifying and taking the lifted foot down to the side of the calf muscle of the standing leg? 

Unrelated, your username/profile picture just KILLS me! I laugh so hard every time I see it. I picture the sad face on the backs of the legs like whyyyy mee?! Thanks for the laugh  :3:

Reading through this I think I've been pretty lucky! Though I've only ever been to three studios in my lifetime, and three really good ones at that! 

I'd have to agree with the others regarding people walking in and slapping their mats loudly onto the floor while others are trying to lie in savasana or meditate. It's incredibly annoying. It wouldn't matter if you're the first one there or everyone is sitting and chatting, but when you're lying down relaxing it makes you jump out of your skin and really kills the relaxed pre-yoga feeling you had.

The other day I went to a class and the air conditioning was on so high, not only was it loud but it also affected our breathing at the end in savasana because if we tried to breathe in deeply the air was forcing itself up our nostrils. We mentioned it and the teacher felt bad, but air conditioning is always a bit of an annoyance for me. I'd rather it turned down low and being slightly warm/sweaty than that incessant noise and your hair blowing constantly in your face. It's not very zen  :lol:

oh man, that can be super dangerous. always listen to your body and remember you are the client, this is your class, and you have every right to do your own thing. :huh:

This is what put me off in the first beginner's class I attended.  The instructor had the class in plow pose and there I was unable to even lift my hips over my shoulders and he kept saying, just try it,just lift your body up and over.  And I kept shaking my head, trying to make my eyes tell him to come over and help me because I can't do it on my own! :43:

I ended up staying in bridge pose as long as I could.  If he had come over and helped, I probably would have been able to do it.

Oh and another pet peeve is the instructor running late and then rushing through the warm-up sequence.  How rude!

MrBalloonHands likes this

Man I am missing all the fun. There just aren't any classes offered any where near me so I have never been. Youtube is all I have. But I can see how I might be a pet peeve to someone else because every time I do a great hip opener and it releases my back I tend to moan in ways that could make others....uncomfortable. Oh wow that means it is probably good I stay home!

MrBalloonHands, mimisouth and KimK like this

This is what put me off in the first beginner's class I attended.  The instructor had the class in plow pose and there I was unable to even lift my hips over my shoulders and he kept saying, just try it,just lift your body up and over.  And I kept shaking my head, trying to make my eyes tell him to come over and help me because I can't do it on my own! :43:

I can't imagine teaching plow in a beginner's class unless it was a private lesson, as there are multiple safety considerations. I hope you weren't really shaking your head, because that's one of them!

My biggest pet peeves are when a sub doesn't teach in the style or level as the class for which she/he is subbing; when the music is loud and/or has English lyrics (I prefer no music); when adjustments are intense; when instructors' cuing is contradictory ("follow your breath" while simultaneously telling you when to breathe, which is never in sync with my own breath; telling us to hold down dog for three breaths but then making adjustments that take at least 10 breaths to complete); and cutting short savasana. Nobody uses cell phones at the studios I attend, thankfully, or that would be another! The neighbor's feet on my yoga mat doesn't weird me out, but it nevertheless seems like a boundary violation, albeit a slight one.

MrBalloonHands and PaulaH like this

I took a class with an instructor who played music through her phone. I enjoy a class with fun music BUT she forgot to silence her text/call/etc. alerts so the music was interrupted continually with this annoying pinging sound. It ruined an otherwise great class :( 

My number one pet peeve is people walking on my mat. The studio I go to is not crowded so there is really no reason to walk across someone else's mat. Drives me nuts and totally ruins my yoga induced zen if someone walks on my mat at the end of class!!  :angry:  :P  :D

Meugenio likes this

Worst pet peeve is when someone walks over my mat. 

My number one pet peeve is people walking on my mat. 

How would you guys feel if you saw the instructor do this? She's a very experienced and knowledgable yoga instructor, so I was amazed when I saw her walk on someone's mat. I tend to situate myself in non-trafficed areas, so the likelihood that someone will step on mine is relatively low.

YogaByCandace likes this