ReneeS

Poses To Avoid Post-Cesarean?

4 posts in this topic

Hi Candace,

I have a family friend who has never tried yoga but would like to get started at home. I practice frequently, and she asked me if I could introduce her with some one-on-one asana practice. I am more than happy to do this and feel comfortable guiding through a gentle flow sequence. However, I have one concern: My friend had a C-section a little more than a year ago. Are there any poses I should avoid? 

Thank You,

Renee

Hi Renee! 

I would suggest you have her ask her doctor what to avoid because I don't have any experience working with women who have had a c-section... I'm sorry, that's a totally useless answer but I would hate to suggest something and cause any harm. Sorry!

She should talk to her doctor to check how much she's healed over the past year.  I have no experience, but my friend went through one 4 months ago, and she couldn't use her abs for the first 3 months because of the separation between her two ab muscles (she showed me this diagram).   She then went to physical therapy after 3 months. She still has a hole and does modified ab exercises.