YogaByCandace

Ask A Yoga Question

131 posts in this topic

Hi Candace my name is Diana and my question is related to wheel pose, every time I try to get into wheel pose is like my arms get locked and I'm not able to straighten them , the highest I can get is to the top of my head on the ground but from that point on I can't get any higher , my knees and feet are aligned all the time and my hips are high of the ground but for some reason my arms won't cooperate, do you have any advise?

Thanks

Hi Candace my name is Diana and my question is related to wheel pose, every time I try to get into wheel pose is like my arms get locked and I'm not able to straighten them , the highest I can get is to the top of my head on the ground but from that point on I can't get any higher , my knees and feet are aligned all the time and my hips are high of the ground but for some reason my arms won't cooperate, do you have any advise?

Thanks

Stay tuned to this week's AAYQ post for the answer :)

Oak, Yogabliss and MrBalloonHands like this

Hi Candace,

I've been working on building my upper body strength over the past couple months but I feel like I'm at a stand still. I have just recently been able to go up (briefly) into crow pose, but I can feel my arms giving out after only a breath or two. Do you have any suggestions of poses to continue to build on that strength?

Hey Candace! I've been working on getting into scorpion pose the past couple months. I usually begin in forearm plank with my hands flat on the floor and then move into downward dog on my forearms. I'm worried that I'm not getting all the strengthening benefits from downward dog on my forearms (darn my short arms!); what should I be feeling/doing in my forearms, shoulders and upper back in this pose? I also know that I should be looking between my hands when I try to get into scorpion. I can sometimes feel my hips come in line with my shoulders in the air for a millisecond right before I fall on my face (maybe my shoulders collapse?). Any tips on working on/getting into scorpion pose? You're the best! =)

Hi Candace,

I struggle with reverse tabletop. I just can´t get up to a lateral position. I suspect it has to do with strength somewhere in the shoulder region but I don´t know where or what to do. I don´t like push ups, but I do them, I do kettlebell swings, various exercises for the arms - I think I have okay strength. It could be flexibility too - same story: I can get into various binds no problem. There must be something I´m missing? 

MrBalloonHands likes this

Hi Candace, 

I'm really tight in my neck and shoulders, so I'm trying to do some poses to open up there.  I tried reverse prayer, and I'm feeling it more in the outside of my wrists below my pinky finger.  What am I doing wrong?  Thanks!

Hi Candace I posted this in another part of the forum..now I'm seeing this is where it should go.

I have a thin long neck.  I do arm balances and inversions often..as well as sitting at a desk so I have a lot of tension in my neck.  Do I need to continue to just stretch and open the shoulders to help with this or is there something I can do to strengthen my neck? 

OH and Candace I've seen your post "8 Poses for the Neck and Shoulders" ....that is helpful.

Thanks

Hi Candace,

My flexibility is above average, particularly my hips, groins and hamstrings from years of dancing. When I do hanumanasana, my hips usually aren't square but when I try squaring my hips, I'm not as flat in splits anymore and I also can't feel the hamstring stretch like I could when my hips were more open. My question is how do I work on squaring the hips in and still feel the stretch in the hammies?

Thanks,

Claudia

Hi Candace,

I have trouble with Malasana and I think it's because I have tight achilles. I can get my heels down in the pose, but I feel like I'm going to plonk back on my bum at any moment. Is this due to the achilles? Are there any stretches I can do to lengthen them?

Thanks,

Claudia

Candace,

When I attempt locust pose with my hands underneath my body, pinkies touching, I cannot get my legs off the ground at all. And my hips dig into my radius and ulna making it super uncomfortable. Am I maybe setting up incorrectly? Engaging the wrong muscles?

Hello, Candace! I have two questions for you.

I have seen a lot of material about how to add yoga to an existing fitness routine. However, if yoga is my primary form of exercise, what workouts can I add that will complement yoga?

Will improved flexibility come with a regular yoga practice, or are there ways I can actively work towards it?

Thank you so much!

Katie

Hi Candace,

Recently, with the help of my yoga teacher, I discovered that I have a tight fascia in my lower back - I think it's called the thoraclumbar fascia.  I always thought it was my tight hamstrings preventing me from doing any sort of forward fold, but now I realize it's my back. For example, during forward fold, I can pretty much only bend 90 degrees and just let my head hang. I'm not really able to stretch my hamstrings too well since my back is inhibiting me from any forward bend. It's giving me some lower back pain as well. Would you be able to tell me more about the fascia as I don't really know much about it, and what sort of things can I do to stretch it out and eventually increase my back flexibility to a normal range?

Laura and YogaByCandace like this

Hi Candace

I've been practicing yoga for quite a few years but have recently decided to apply for YTT. My course doesn't start until March but in the meantime I'm soaking up as much info as I can in classes and workshops and by reading books, journals, blogs etc. Do you have any tips on how to record the info I pick up? At the moment I have several paper notebooks plus several notes running on my iphone with no structure, it's all jumbled in together! Examples of things I might note are particular sequences I like, explanations of a pose I find useful, or something a teacher says that strikes a chord with me as well as a journal of my own practice.

Thanks so much for your help!

Xx

YogaByCandace and Yogabliss like this

Hi Candace,

Whenever I am in a pose that has my arms overhead, like down dog or childs pose, I struggle with my breath. Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong or what I could do to help this. I keep freaking out my instructors.

Thank you for your thoughts!

Kelly

YogaByCandace likes this

Hi Candace

i am 7 month pregnant and have been practicing yoga for a couple years, so i would say i am beginner/intermediate. At the moment i moslty do spine stretches and mobility and sun salutations. Plus some tips i learned at my prenatal yoga class and I am always very carefull to listen to my body while doing yoga. I am very inspired by inversions and back bends, and was wondering what postures i can do while pregnant to slowly prepare for those and open my heart, strenghten my arms. Pigeon ? Bridge ? 

thanks !

YogaByCandace likes this

Hi Candace!  I've noticed how you gracefully float forward from down dog to forward fold in your videos.  I really struggle with this transition.  Even when I concentrate on engaging the core, my forward hop is pretty clumsy.  Do you have any advice for how to  improve my flow from down dog to forward fold?  Thanks so much!

YogaByCandace, Scott and Meugenio like this

Hi Candace!

I sometimes move from shoulder stand to bridge (and vice versa) during my asana practice. On some occasions, I position my palms or fists on my low back while moving in and out of the postures for additional support. This is not a progression I've encountered in a group class; rather, I discovered it while playing on the mat at home. The progression seems natural and graceful to me, plus I feel strong and in tune with my body doing it. However, I'm not sure if it is advisable from a physiological standpoint to move this way. In your professional opinion, is moving from shoulder stand to bridge (or vice versa) safe? 

Thanks,

Renee   

Hi Candace!  I've noticed how you gracefully float forward from down dog to forward fold in your videos.  I really struggle with this transition.  Even when I concentrate on engaging the core, my forward hop is pretty clumsy.  Do you have any advice for how to  improve my flow from down dog to forward fold?  Thanks so much!

Hi, I'm not Candace but may be able to offer some help. If we think about what we are actually doing, all we are doing is moving the feet forward a short distance. The hips are already up in the air in down dog, leave them up there. Don't squat down at the start for a big jump, just leave the hips up high. A small bend in the knees and a strong push with the toes. Just a tiny little jump without much effort. If at first the feet don't make it all the way between the hands (even half way) that is perfectly fine, take a step forward after the jump. And when I said at first the feet don't make it between the hands this can take years of practice to do this easily. 

A some point short hamstrings will prevent the legs from coming all the way forward.

Also need strong arms and strong extension out of the shoulders - push into the floor really hard, think handstand.

And look where you want your feet to land, between the hands. 

An inhale to look up. An exhale to float forward.

I hope you found some help in this.

EmilyC likes this

Hi, I'm not Candace but may be able to offer some help. If we think about what we are actually doing, all we are doing is moving the feet forward a short distance. The hips are already up in the air in down dog, leave them up there. Don't squat down at the start for a big jump, just leave the hips up high. A small bend in the knees and a strong push with the toes. Just a tiny little jump without much effort. If at first the feet don't make it all the way between the hands (even half way) that is perfectly fine, take a step forward after the jump. And when I said at first the feet don't make it between the hands this can take years of practice to do this easily. 

A some point short hamstrings will prevent the legs from coming all the way forward.

Also need strong arms and strong extension out of the shoulders - push into the floor really hard, think handstand.

And look where you want your feet to land, between the hands. 

An inhale to look up. An exhale to float forward.

I hope you found some help in this.

Thank you so much!  This is very helpful.  It's strange that as my practice grows, I find myself repeatedly coming back to the basics.  My last obsession was chaturanga.  Sorry for the babble.  Thanks again!  

Anahata likes this