YogaByCandace

Ask A Yoga Question

131 posts in this topic

Hi Candace,

I am interested in joining a yoga class at my college to improve my posture and fix tightness in my shoulders, back, and hips, but everyone in the class is female except for me so I am a little intimidated. Is there any advice you can give me about what to expect? I have never been to an actual yoga class, but I have done yoga through Youtube videos. I would love to take the class, but I'm just nervous about being the only guy and it would relieve me a lot to know what to expect.

I have a friend (really!) who has pretty severe anxiety. She's under medical treatment for it, but since I told her that yoga has helped me a great deal with my mental health, she's also considering doing yoga as an additional anxiety management tool. She's already checked out a local studio and said she's determined to start lessons in the near future.

I was wondering if you have any advice for her in terms of what to expect from classes, what types of yoga might be more helpful, if there are any yoga styles she should consider avoiding - same goes for asanas-, how to handle her expectations, how to approach the instructor, etc.

Any input, suggestions or insight is welcome.

Thank you in advance :)

I have a friend (really!) who has pretty severe anxiety. She's under medical treatment for it, but since I told her that yoga has helped me a great deal with my mental health, she's also considering doing yoga as an additional anxiety management tool. She's already checked out a local studio and said she's determined to start lessons in the near future.

I was wondering if you have any advice for her in terms of what to expect from classes, what types of yoga might be more helpful, if there are any yoga styles she should consider avoiding - same goes for asanas-, how to handle her expectations, how to approach the instructor, etc.

Hi Hildegard, I'm not an instructor or expert by any means but I do suffer from quite bad anxiety and occasional full blown panic attacks. My psych recommended "Three Part Breath" and I know my studio has used this breathing exercise in the past. I'm sure Candace will have a lot more information for you, but I just wanted to let you know the three part breath has helped me, especially from night attacks if I do it right before sleep as it can help if you can do it early enough when symptoms start, it can help stop the fight or flight response. You seem like an amazing friend :)

One of my aims this year is to work more on my core.. I have been doing my normal practice but doing 5 minute core routine after. Which I can feel strengthening upper stomach. However after having 2 children it is my belly that I really want / need to tighten up. Are there any specific core exercise to target the belly anyone can recommend?

YogaByCandace and Yogabliss like this

Will post my answer in the next AAYQ! 

One of my aims this year is to work more on my core.. I have been doing my normal practice but doing 5 minute core routine after. Which I can feel strengthening upper stomach. However after having 2 children it is my belly that I really want / need to tighten up. Are there any specific core exercise to target the belly anyone can recommend?

Reverse sit ups (is that what they're called? My mind is drawing a blank but I'm thinking where you lay on the ground, legs in the air, and hips lift up) will target the lower core. You can also lay in that position and slowly lower the legs down to hover off the ground and lift back up. A lot of the arm balances (crow pose, headstand, forearm stand) will also work the (overall) core. Hope that helps! 

Hildegard and Yogabliss like this

Hi Candace,

I am interested in joining a yoga class at my college to improve my posture and fix tightness in my shoulders, back, and hips, but everyone in the class is female except for me so I am a little intimidated. Is there any advice you can give me about what to expect? I have never been to an actual yoga class, but I have done yoga through Youtube videos. I would love to take the class, but I'm just nervous about being the only guy and it would relieve me a lot to know what to expect.

This will be answered in the next AAYQ!

Yogabliss and Swimming7 like this

Hi Candace,

I love your blog! Thank you.

In the recent past I have been struggling with back pain, especially my trapezius, it is knotted and tight. I have tried massages and heat packs and few other methods. But this starts from my job where I sit and work all day, so eventually it always comes back and is kinda unavoidable. Do you have suggestions about any yoga poses that I could practice everyday to have some sort of relief?

Thanks in advance!

yogafire and YogaByCandace like this

hopefully im not repeating a question:

I'm definitely getting stronger with consistent practice, but I'm noticing a little joint pain. It's not excessive pain, but it's extremely tender. The first knuckle on my middle finger (if counting one to three, bottom to top of finger) on my left hand is causing me some discomfort. I don't really know how to relieve the pain or how to determine what is causing it. I mainly notice it when I'm doing things outside of exercise. Any advice would be helpful, thanks!

YogaByCandace likes this

Hi Candace,

I love your blog! Thank you.

In the recent past I have been struggling with back pain, especially my trapezius, it is knotted and tight. I have tried massages and heat packs and few other methods. But this starts from my job where I sit and work all day, so eventually it always comes back and is kinda unavoidable. Do you have suggestions about any yoga poses that I could practice everyday to have some sort of relief?

Thanks in advance!

hi there! i will answer in the next aayq!

hopefully im not repeating a question:

I'm definitely getting stronger with consistent practice, but I'm noticing a little joint pain. It's not excessive pain, but it's extremely tender. The first knuckle on my middle finger (if counting one to three, bottom to top of finger) on my left hand is causing me some discomfort. I don't really know how to relieve the pain or how to determine what is causing it. I mainly notice it when I'm doing things outside of exercise. Any advice would be helpful, thanks!

Hey there! Will answer in the next aayq!

Candace would you do a blog post or video on how to do dancer pose properly and what mistakes to avoid for the new challenge please?

Consider it done! It'll be coming up within the next two weeks. xo

femmefatalekris likes this

Hi Candace,

I am ready to try forearm stands. I can get into and hold a headstand for 20+ Seconds but I just cannot seem to begin getting into forearm stands on my own. Any tips?

Thanks!

Abby

Candace has a yoga video to help on this. Check it out I'm sure it will help.. I'm still using the wall!

Hello Candace,

I've been doing yoga for a month now and I have a problem, whenever I'm in downward dog or in a plank, and I'm transitioning to a pose that requires me to move one foot between my hands, I can't make it. My foot lands below my torso and I have to get up and then get into the next pose. It hasn't improved and I'm worried that there's something wrong with my legs or hips?

starslight and YogaByCandace like this

Hi Candace,

I am ready to try forearm stands. I can get into and hold a headstand for 20+ Seconds but I just cannot seem to begin getting into forearm stands on my own. Any tips?

Thanks!

Abby

Do you mean a forearm headstand (Sirsasana) or a forearm balance like Pincha Mayurasana

There is an old topic here that may be helpful

Do you mean a forearm headstand (Sirsasana) or a forearm balance like Pincha Mayurasana

There is an old topic here that may be helpful

Hi! Sorry I shouldve been more specific...I mean Pincha Mayurasana. I can do a forearm headstand and have been practicing slowing it down and controlling my legs going into Sirasana rather than kicking up but I am able to hold Sirasana for some time off of the wall. I cannot however get into Pinch Mayurasana, kicking or otherwise. Is there a step I am missing or some strengthening I should do to help?

Hi! Sorry I shouldve been more specific...I mean Pincha Mayurasana. I can do a forearm headstand and have been practicing slowing it down and controlling my legs going into Sirasana rather than kicking up but I am able to hold Sirasana for some time off of the wall. I cannot however get into Pinch Mayurasana, kicking or otherwise. Is there a step I am missing or some strengthening I should do to help?

Please read through the link I included above. There is info for building strength and one of those 'how to get there' steps that seem to be seldom taught. If you work your way through that and have questions feel free to ask.

yogafire likes this

Hello Candace,

I've been doing yoga for a month now and I have a problem, whenever I'm in downward dog or in a plank, and I'm transitioning to a pose that requires me to move one foot between my hands, I can't make it. My foot lands below my torso and I have to get up and then get into the next pose. It hasn't improved and I'm worried that there's something wrong with my legs or hips?

I used to do this too in the beginning, and just wiggle my foot more forward.  It requires engaging the core to lift the foot that far forward. Rounding the back can provide more room to get there.  So, if you are not making it there, you just might need to build more core, which will happen!

I also find that a lot of vinyasa classes make this transition easier by first doing a three-legged downward, and then using the momentum to move the back foot between the hands. I personally prefer to skip this, go back to regular downward dog, and move forward to make sure I'm working out my core more.

YogaByCandace and Stephanie like this

I used to do this too in the beginning, and just wiggle my foot more forward.  It requires engaging the core to lift the foot that far forward. Rounding the back can provide more room to get there.  So, if you are not making it there, you just might need to build more core, which will happen!

I also find that a lot of vinyasa classes make this transition easier by first doing a three-legged downward, and then using the momentum to move the back foot between the hands. I personally prefer to skip this, go back to regular downward dog, and move forward to make sure I'm working out my core more.

Thanks, I do pilates too so I've aquired lots of core strength, but I'll keep practising. Also, I can't really put my chest to my thighs, like even sitting down on a chair or something, I can't do it, I feel like there is something blocking me, this is why I'm a bit concerned. I've been working on my flexibility for a long time, almost 3 years, so its discouraging when I can do the splits but can't even put my chest to my thighs :(

YogaByCandace likes this