YogaByCandace

Ask A Yoga Question

131 posts in this topic

Thanks, I do pilates too so I've aquired lots of core strength, but I'll keep practising. Also, I can't really put my chest to my thighs, like even sitting down on a chair or something, I can't do it, I feel like there is something blocking me, this is why I'm a bit concerned. I've been working on my flexibility for a long time, almost 3 years, so its discouraging when I can do the splits but can't even put my chest to my thighs :(

Good to know this additional background. I'll wait for Candace to answer, then! It was core strength for me, but sounds like it's something else for you.

I heard some people talk about bone compression not giving the same range of motion as others.  Candace talks about it here in #5.

YogaByCandace likes this

Thanks, I do pilates too so I've aquired lots of core strength, but I'll keep practising. Also, I can't really put my chest to my thighs, like even sitting down on a chair or something, I can't do it, I feel like there is something blocking me, this is why I'm a bit concerned. I've been working on my flexibility for a long time, almost 3 years, so its discouraging when I can do the splits but can't even put my chest to my thighs :(

Do you just STOP when you come forward when you're seated? Like does it feel like there is just no room for you to go forward? Or does it feel like a tightness and lack of flexibility? This is tough for me to say without seeing in person, but it sounds like if you've been working on your flexibility that it may be bone compression, because the first thing I was going to say was that you should watch this video which shows how to step to the front of the mat by rounding the back and engaging the core as yogafire said. But if you are having trouble touching your chest to your knee then..... ok try this. Stand on one leg and hug the other leg into your chest. Are you able to do that? Does it feel like tightness in your hip (like the back of the hip - ok, basically where your butt is, I'm not going to dance around it haha), or does your leg just STOP? Is it just one leg or both legs?

It could be compression - that just means either that the head of the femur bone or the shape of the hip socket is such that there isn't a huge range of motion. It's nothing to worry about - just the way your bones are shaped.

Good to know this additional background. I'll wait for Candace to answer, then! It was core strength for me, but sounds like it's something else for you.

I heard some people talk about bone compression not giving the same range of motion as others.  Candace talks about it here in #5.

Thanks so much for answering and pointing her in the right direction, @yogafire! I've been so busy traveling and have had spotty internet connection that it means a lot when you and others (@mimisouth, @anahata) take a second and point people in the right direction. This is exactly why I wanted to create a forum. Huge thank you all for participating and helping others. Great community!!  :wub:

yogafire likes this

Hi Candace!

Since starting my yoga practice, my back pain has almost diminished. However, I have developed RSI and have wrist and arm pain/tightness. I notice when I am in a downward dog pose, I put a lot of pressure on my palms. I've been attempting to put more weight on my thumb and pointer finger, but have a bit of trouble shifting my weight there.

Do you have any tips for how to shift your weight more to your fingers? Or any stretches before or after that can help? 

Thanks so much! xo.

YogaByCandace likes this

Hi Candace!

Since starting my yoga practice, my back pain has almost diminished. However, I have developed RSI and have wrist and arm pain/tightness. I notice when I am in a downward dog pose, I put a lot of pressure on my palms. I've been attempting to put more weight on my thumb and pointer finger, but have a bit of trouble shifting my weight there.

Do you have any tips for how to shift your weight more to your fingers? Or any stretches before or after that can help? 

Thanks so much! xo.

Hey there! You have the right idea with the thumb and pointer finger, but I'm wondering if maybe you tried implementing the info on this diagram it'd help the weight transference. Let me know!

Do you just STOP when you come forward when you're seated? Like does it feel like there is just no room for you to go forward? Or does it feel like a tightness and lack of flexibility? This is tough for me to say without seeing in person, but it sounds like if you've been working on your flexibility that it may be bone compression, because the first thing I was going to say was that you should watch this video which shows how to step to the front of the mat by rounding the back and engaging the core as yogafire said. But if you are having trouble touching your chest to your knee then..... ok try this. Stand on one leg and hug the other leg into your chest. Are you able to do that? Does it feel like tightness in your hip (like the back of the hip - ok, basically where your butt is, I'm not going to dance around it haha), or does your leg just STOP? Is it just one leg or both legs?

It could be compression - that just means either that the head of the femur bone or the shape of the hip socket is such that there isn't a huge range of motion. It's nothing to worry about - just the way your bones are shaped.

Thanks so much for answering and pointing her in the right direction, @yogafire! I've been so busy traveling and have had spotty internet connection that it means a lot when you and others (@mimisouth, @anahata) take a second and point people in the right direction. This is exactly why I wanted to create a forum. Huge thank you all for participating and helping others. Great community!!  :wub:

Thank you both for answering!!

And Candace, when I pull my knee to my chest, I actually feel a bit of pain in the front of the hip, between where the hip and leg meet, definitley not tightness in the buttox or back of the leg. So does that mean it's bone compression? I don't do that stretch very often, when I do however and hold it, it very very slowly eases and can pull my leg in a tiny bit. So no it doesn't just STOP, but there's some pain (not the regular stretching tension pain). I think I'll keep doing that stretch lying down and pulling a knee into the chest, I'll try it out for a month and if it doesn't improve at least a bit, then I'll just go ahead and say I have weird hip sockets haha

YogaByCandace likes this

Thank you both for answering!!

And Candace, when I pull my knee to my chest, I actually feel a bit of pain in the front of the hip, between where the hip and leg meet, definitley not tightness in the buttox or back of the leg. So does that mean it's bone compression? I don't do that stretch very often, when I do however and hold it, it very very slowly eases and can pull my leg in a tiny bit. So no it doesn't just STOP, but there's some pain (not the regular stretching tension pain). I think I'll keep doing that stretch lying down and pulling a knee into the chest, I'll try it out for a month and if it doesn't improve at least a bit, then I'll just go ahead and say I have weird hip sockets haha

That sounds like a good plan. If it just STOPPED it'd likely be bone compression. I can't say for sure what it is - pain is generally not a good sign (is it actual pain or are you just at your 'edge' - do you know what I mean?) Definitely stop if it's actual pain, but if it's something you can explore I'd keep stretching and see what happens. Take a before pic, too, because sometimes we don't notice the difference when we stretch day after day - especially if we're really tight, and a picture will be able to show you exactly how much you're improving. :13:

Stephanie likes this

Hi Candace!

Thanks so much! xo.

That's so great your back pain has diminished.

Regarding your question about stretches, I also get RSI in my wrists (I mistakenly called it carpal tunnel) and do these wrist release exercises when hurting. I first learned them when I complained about my wrists hurting as an "injury" at the beginning of class, and my teacher showed these Forrest yoga wrist release and stretches that alleviated my radiating pain.  

The video below is poor quality, but she goes through the exact same stretches my teacher did in the first 3 min that were helpful for me.  My teacher also said doing the first wrist release exercise everyday has helped heal her from her carpal tunnel. I repeat the first exercise too whenever I'm sitting at my desk for too long (using the mouse too much, for instance).  Around 4 min she also does some nice neck releases that I find helpful if your tension is traveling all the way up from your wrists to your neck.

Once I went to a class that did a ton of side planks without any proper wrist stretches or warm ups, and I had to recover for a week and do everything on my knees or forearms as modifications.  Now I know to stop or modify if my wrists start getting tired, or do these stretches on my own first before continuing in class.
starslight likes this

Hi Candace,

I am interested in joining a yoga class at my college to improve my posture and fix tightness in my shoulders, back, and hips, but everyone in the class is female except for me so I am a little intimidated. Is there any advice you can give me about what to expect? I have never been to an actual yoga class, but I have done yoga through Youtube videos. I would love to take the class, but I'm just nervous about being the only guy and it would relieve me a lot to know what to expect.

As someone who just started yoga (after having the same reservations as you had)...it's tough to know what to expect. Each class (as well, each instructor) is different.

Just go early and let the instructor know you're new. The others aren't going to be looking at you and judging you. Do what you can and you'll have fun.

If you're really nervous, sit outside a class and watch what happens.

Swimming7 likes this

Hello Candace,

I've been doing yoga for a month now and I have a problem, whenever I'm in downward dog or in a plank, and I'm transitioning to a pose that requires me to move one foot between my hands, I can't make it. My foot lands below my torso and I have to get up and then get into the next pose. It hasn't improved and I'm worried that there's something wrong with my legs or hips?

Hi Stephanie, I have read through your other posts as well. If you have been doing yoga for a month (how often?) can lift your foot and have it placed under your torso you are doing really well. Yoga and pilates are both good but not the same. After you have been practicing yoga 5 days a week for a few months or a year and aren't seeing any progress then there might be something that you want to look into. If your practice is one class a week and you enjoy it that is fantastic. Once a week is generally maintaining. That is a very good thing, the old saying 'use it or lose it'. The you also mentioned 3 years but that didn't sound like 3 years of yoga practice. Maybe you are practicing nearly everyday for a month but it needs more time than one month.

There is a way to get your foot forward with the help of a prop. In downward dog place two foam blocks under your hands then try stepping forward. Strong extension out of the shoulders. That should make the step much easier. Once we get the feeling of actually doing it and get the idea in our head that we can do that often helps getting there much easier. The blocks would be very awkward to use in a regular practice but try it on your own just to get the feel for it. Always work in a comfortable range and progress will happen. Overdoing it is always a bad idea.

YogaByCandace and Stephanie like this

My biggest problem is "low to high lunge".

Instructors will always say "using core strength...'", which is very disheartening, as I struggle to rise up.

I typically take upwards of five to ten seconds, eventually I push my hand on my forward knee and wobble on the way up. I've been practicing at least five days a week (three months now) for a minimum of 40 minutes each session.

Are there any tips that can help me? I don't have too many troubles keeping up with the other ab or core moves, but getting to high lunge is a killer. At times, I'll cheat and turn my back foot out to push off, but I know that's not right

Every video shows an effortless rise so I can't see what, if anything, I'm doing wrong.

My biggest problem is "low to high lunge".

Instructors will always say "using core strength...'", which is very disheartening, as I struggle to rise up.

I typically take upwards of five to ten seconds, eventually I push my hand on my forward knee and wobble on the way up. I've been practicing at least five days a week (three months now) for a minimum of 40 minutes each session.

Are there any tips that can help me? I don't have too many troubles keeping up with the other ab or core moves, but getting to high lunge is a killer. At times, I'll cheat and turn my back foot out to push off, but I know that's not right

Every video shows an effortless rise so I can't see what, if anything, I'm doing wrong.

Will answer in the next AAYQ :)

Will answer in the next AAYQ :)

I'm an old man, so I have an excuse for being up at 3:30 AM, but you're a young lady, why are you posting at 4:00AM?

I'm working on my dancer pose.. Is the idea to remain as upright as possible with both legs as straight as possible? I've been working on making my body parallel to the floor whilst lifting my back leg! Not sure what is right..

YogaByCandace likes this

I'm working on my dancer pose.. Is the idea to remain as upright as possible with both legs as straight as possible? I've been working on making my body parallel to the floor whilst lifting my back leg! Not sure what is right..

I don't think there is one right way. The only restriction is the yogi's creativity and what is best for you!

This is Natarajasana from the Asana Guide

http://www.yogadancer.com/Pattra/Natarajasana.shtml#Full

(Isn't that beautiful?)

yogafire likes this

Hi Candace!

New on this forum! I've been practicing almost daily for the past 3 years. My trouble area is always my hips. I have a few questions for you.

1) How do I get 'deeper' in pigeon pose. 

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-SuIfash7fAk/UGxl7F_sPuI/AAAAAAAAEDk/N8nGTokun7Q/s320/pigeon1.jpg

My Pigeon looks somewhat like that. I can barely move my bent knee to be more parallel to the top of the mat.  And I barely feel any stretch bending over in this pose now.

2)  Malasna or Garland pose isn't too difficult for me however I wish to know how to get my heels of my feet to touch the floor without me falling back.  My heels are always raised by an inch or two.

3) This is not about my hips but I can twist pretty deep in 'Seated Spinal Twist' however I can't do the bind at all. Is there any prep poses I can do for this?

Thank you so much!!

mimisouth likes this

Yeah dancer's is one of those poses where you can really make it your own. I'll be doing a post on it this week to watch out for the major alignment issues. :)

Hi Candace!

New on this forum! I've been practicing almost daily for the past 3 years. My trouble area is always my hips. I have a few questions for you.

1) How do I get 'deeper' in pigeon pose. 

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-SuIfash7fAk/UGxl7F_sPuI/AAAAAAAAEDk/N8nGTokun7Q/s320/pigeon1.jpg

My Pigeon looks somewhat like that. I can barely move my bent knee to be more parallel to the top of the mat.  And I barely feel any stretch bending over in this pose now.

2)  Malasna or Garland pose isn't too difficult for me however I wish to know how to get my heels of my feet to touch the floor without me falling back.  My heels are always raised by an inch or two.

3) This is not about my hips but I can twist pretty deep in 'Seated Spinal Twist' however I can't do the bind at all. Is there any prep poses I can do for this?

Thank you so much!!

Will answer these questions in AAYQ this week! :)

YogiRishi likes this

I have been doing yoga for a while now and shortly after discovering you I discovered the forearm headstand, I can successfully do it without any wall support. I am trying to figure out what other poses would be considered intermediate level? I'm trying to make some goals and it helps knowing what I am working towards and what's realistic at my level. I can do crow and forearm headstand but what other poses, like side crow, that is challenging could I be working on? Thank you!

YogaByCandace likes this

I have been doing yoga for a while now and shortly after discovering you I discovered the forearm headstand, I can successfully do it without any wall support. I am trying to figure out what other poses would be considered intermediate level? I'm trying to make some goals and it helps knowing what I am working towards and what's realistic at my level. I can do crow and forearm headstand but what other poses, like side crow, that is challenging could I be working on? Thank you!

Love this question! Good for you for staying motivated and looking to build your practice! I'll answer in the next AAYQ.

stephvogel likes this

Where's the line between a healthy and dangerous pose?

The first time I tried Hero's Pose ...

Virasana.jpg

...my knees didn't like it.

I imagine that one might hurt themselves trying this pose

Since then, I've been trying this pose using a block for support.

What is your thought on potentially harmful poses?

How about a blog post..."poses beginners should avoid"?

starslight and YogaByCandace like this