YogaByCandace

Ask A Yoga Question

131 posts in this topic

Hi Candace!

When I first started yoga, I took a class for a year and was very consistent with it. After a long break of 2 years, I'm getting back into it. Right now, I am only doing online yoga classes, and feel comfortable with the poses (and I remember a lot from class). I appreciate the comfort of my own home for yoga practice, especially being able to work on my flexibility for basic poses  (also, on a side note: saving money). Do you think doing online yoga videos only is a useful way to improve my practice, or would you recommend taking a real class once in a while? I feel that most teachers in online yoga videos do a great job of explaining where you should feel the pull and how to position body parts. I am not against the idea of going to class again, but like I said, I enjoy my own quiet living room - a lot.

Thanks!

Paula

starslight, knic, mimisouth and 1 other like this

Do you think doing online yoga videos only is a useful way to improve my practice, or would you recommend taking a real class once in a while? I feel that most teachers in online yoga videos do a great job of explaining where you should feel the pull and how to position body parts. I am not against the idea of going to class again, but like I said, I enjoy my own quiet living room - a lot.

Thanks!

Paula

Hey Paula! I totally hear what you're saying- there are so many great benefits from sticking to yoga at home. It's really admirable you're so into it - I think a lot of people are nervous to practice at home with just videos, so good for you! I really do believe that there's nothing like taking a class with a real, live instructor who can adjust you and offer feedback. That being said, it's tough to know who will be teaching if you just pop into a regular ol' yoga class. Of course there are great teachers everywhere and you might get lucky, but it sounds like a master class or specialized workshop might be a really great option for you every once in a while. It'll be a bit of an investment since they're often more expensive than a regular drop-in rate for a studio class, but you might feel like you really deepen the practice that way, especially if it's something where you can ask questions and really delve a bit deeper into the topic at hand. And when you do a master class or specialized workshop you'll also be in the know as to who is teaching and you can do a little research to make sure you'll get the best bang for your buck, you know what I mean?

PaulaH and yogafire like this

Do I look at what other people can do and think maybe I should be at their level, especially considering I've been doing yoga for some ten years? Absolutely, but then I remember what I can do at the moment, how my body has grown stronger and more flexible, how much calmer my mind is. Maybe it doesn't look like much to others, but I know where I was when I started and that's all that really matters to me.

Beautifully stated. I feel more in my body than I can see on the outside. I avoid taking pictures of myself so I don't trick myself into thinking I'm not making progress.

PaulaH, mimisouth and Hildegard like this

If I can read advice like, "Everyone finds a version [of a pose] that gives themselves a good benefit. It's the person's practice that is important not the pose," (from Anahata above) and recognize the truth and wisdom in it, then why do I still feel like a loser sometimes for taking modifications or skipping certain poses altogether? It's not that I expect to be able to do what a professional yoga instructor does, but sometimes when I compare how I practice to how other people practice I feel like a fraud for calling what I do (on the increasingly rare occasion I actually do it) 'yoga.' Because, comparatively, it often seems like I'm not really doing anything.

This is a very good question and I think everyone struggles with it in some way at some time. I am glad that others gave their ideas, thank you.

Try asking yourself ‘why?’ Why is so important that you can do a certain version of a pose?

If you come up with a good answer for yourself then figure out how you are going to get there.

If you can’t come up with a good answer to the question why, then this version of a pose serves you no good benefit. You are only doing harm to yourself pursuing this. 

Yoga attempts to teach us kindness, ahimsa. Most importantly to our self, then others. If we learn to be kind to our self it will carry over to the way we treat others.

I don’t know if my ideas were helpful. But the question received some very good ideas from others. I am glad you asked it.

Remember it is your practice. Not anyone else's.
starslight and mimisouth like this

This thread is getting tough to scroll through, so we are going to try to clean things up. We now have two new forums for Ask a Yoga Question.

In this forum, you can post your questions to be answered by fellow forum members. Rest assured you will get high quality answers - there are so many knowledgeable and helpful people in this community. Please start a new thread for each question, and then all answers and conversation pertaining to that question should be kept in that thread.

In this forum, you can post your questions to be considered for the weekly Ask a Yoga Question post on YogaByCandace.com. These should stay questions only, no discussions, as this will make it easy for us to ensure everyone's questions are answered.

If you'd like your question answered by both the community & on the blog, please post your question in each forum. This just helps keep things more organized.

Thank you for your understanding, and please let me know if you have any questions. We appreciate your participation and are thankful for this wonderful community! 

Best, 

Greg

Meugenio likes this