Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fshliz09

Upgrading My Yoga Mat

13 posts in this topic

I've had the same Jade Yoga mat for years now...and I think since I've finally committed to the mat I can justify getting a new mat and since the holidays are coming up maybe Santa, aka my boyfriend, will get me one :P

What do you think the next awesome mat would be? I personally like it to be a little thicker because my knees are not so great. I was looking at the Manduka black mat Pro but i'm just not so sure I'm at that level yet...

Julia and Yogabliss like this

I'm disturbed by the stories I read about having to break in the Manduka mats and people slipping in downward dog for the first week, at least.  Hopefully others can share their experience and diffuse these stories I've heard.

Not to deter you, but I am also a Jade Harmony Yoga mat user too. I love the grip and stickiness, so I'd hate to give that up.  I have weak knees too, and I always fold over my mat when we do low lunges, even in vinyasa flows.  I also pad with a blanket on top of the mat (easier than folding) if we do quad openers that require our knee to be down.  

fshliz09 likes this

That puts me off a Manuka mat too! To spend £80 on a mat and then to have to break it in seems a bit cheeky to me..

I've just ordered a PrAna Eco mat for £35 but I have my eye on a Jade Harmony Professional but it's £70 which I don't have to spend at the moment. So I'm going to check out what the mid range mat is like before investing in the more expensive mat..

fshliz09 likes this

I recently got the Jade Harmony Mat as well and I have to say, in comparison to my black mat pro by mandrake, it is far superior. I've had my black mat pro for about two years and I still slip every now and then. It's definitely not perfect. I think the closed cell design of the Jade Harmony is what makes the grip so great. 

The only others that have come close are the Wellicious Divine Mat (review) and the Manduka echo light (review) (this is actually hands down my favorite mat, but I don't think it'd work for you because it's quite thin and wouldn't provide any cushion for the knees).

Yogabliss, fshliz09 and Vanyogalife like this

I have the Manduka echo (regular not light) and the cushioning is great ,The grips is good only in the begining it took a few uses for it to loose that new mat "coating" but overall very happy with it

I just posted this under "yoga gear".  Maybe it will help.  I just bought the Gaiam Sol.  Nice and cushy (my knees need that, too :-) but haven't used it long enough to make any conclusions about the grip. 

YogaByCandace likes this

seems I need to buy one sooner rather than later because my dog decided to pee on my yoga mat. :unsure:

Haha nothing a little soap and water can't take care of?? Ohhhh doggggs. <a href=http://www.freesmile

I just posted this under "yoga gear".  Maybe it will help.  I just bought the Gaiam Sol.  Nice and cushy (my knees need that, too :-) but haven't used it long enough to make any conclusions about the grip. 

Let us know what you think of it! I like the Gaiam Sol - I got one this summer and it IS a nice cushy option that I totally forgot about! I also love the design :wub:

hmm I think i'll do some research between the Manduka Echo and the Jade Harmony Mat, Thanks guys!!

fshliz09, did you figure out which one you like best? There's a studio close to where I live that sells the Jade Harmony mat and I might be convinced to go and buy one for myself haha! I'm growing to really dislike slipping on my mat even when I'm not sweaty, so it might be time for a new one.

fshliz09, did you figure out which one you like best? There's a studio close to where I live that sells the Jade Harmony mat and I might be convinced to go and buy one for myself haha! I'm growing to really dislike slipping on my mat even when I'm not sweaty, so it might be time for a new one.

I read the most reviews for the Jade Harmony mat and I liked it a lot! but, since my boyfriend wants to get me my new mat I told him to surprise me :o .

Maybe the yoga studio will let you try the mat just to see how it feels??

Meugenio likes this

Oh I love that one!!

I have two cheap yoga mats and apart from the occasional slipping when really sweaty (which is easily fixed with a towel) I really can't tell the difference between them and the Manduka I borrow at my local yoga studio. The manduka is much prettier though. I'm inspired to try out some new ones!

Haha nothing a little soap and water can't take care of?? Ohhhh doggggs. <a href=http://www.freesmile

Let us know what you think of it! I like the Gaiam Sol - I got one this summer and it IS a nice cushy option that I totally forgot about! I also love the design :wub:

I've been using the Gaiam mat almost daily over the past month.  

Pros: Awesome grip (even in hot yoga), light weight, pretty design

Cons: surprisingly, it's not as cushy as I first thought but still plenty of support; it's cut a bit smaller than the Manduka, and I miss the extra space 

MrBalloonHands likes this