YogaByCandace

Youtube Video Request

144 posts in this topic

Hi Candace!

You are one of my favorite online instructors...and certainly my "go-to" on YouTube.  Thank you for your videos!

I've been growing bored with certain [repetitive] sequences/flows (like vinyasa) in general and am looking for more unique, creative flows and asanas to keep me excited and engaged in my daily practice!

Hi Candace!

You are one of my favorite online instructors...and certainly my "go-to" on YouTube.  Thank you for your videos!

I've been growing bored with certain [repetitive] sequences/flows (like vinyasa) in general and am looking for more unique, creative flows and asanas to keep me excited and engaged in my daily practice!

This is great! Definitely happy to help, especially since it's right in line with our creative yoga sequencing project we're doing this month (come join in if you want! not too late!). Thanks for the love and for taking the time to send in a request. Look for the video within the next few weeks.  :)

Porsche likes this

This is great! Definitely happy to help, especially since it's right in line with our creative yoga sequencing project we're doing this month (come join in if you want! not too late!). Thanks for the love and for taking the time to send in a request. Look for the video within the next few weeks.  :)

I just completed your 45 Minute Yoga Video for Strength for the first time and it was absolutely perfect! It was exactly what I was looking for, especially for today. I also had a couple of breakthroughs during the practice. Thank you so much and I look forward to the video coming within the next few weeks! :)

I just completed your 45 Minute Yoga Video for Strength for the first time and it was absolutely perfect! It was exactly what I was looking for, especially for today. I also had a couple of breakthroughs during the practice. Thank you so much and I look forward to the video coming within the next few weeks! :)

Yay I'm so glad you enjoyed! What were your breakthroughs? Would love to know  :)

Hi Candace!

Ask and you shall receive, my friend! Hope you enjoy.

Laura and Meugenio like this

In doing your seated sequence for Day 2 of the challenge I noticed that my pelvis does not want to tilt forward (I am not sure if it ever has :5: ...but one day I hope it does).  I looked through your blog and I saw a video for tight hips and I also saw a helpful tips for men by using a block when seated to have good posture.  Should I be using a block when doing any yoga positions that requires the pelvis to tilt forward and any tips so that I do not need the block in the future.

I know you have a few but I always enjoy a sequence for tight hips and hamstrings :P

YogaByCandace likes this

Yay I'm so glad you enjoyed! What were your breakthroughs? Would love to know  :)

I totally missed your question about my breakthroughs! Of course, by now, I can only remember one -- and it was during the headstand.  Before the video, I struggled with holding the pose, but I coached mysellf to release the fear, trust myself and have fun during the process...whether I "nail it" or not (yoga lesson/LIFE lesson!). And it worked. I didn't hold the pose for long, but I noticed great progress. I just finsihed the 30 Minute Power Yoga Creative Sequencing and it gets better and better. Thank you for such beautiful sequences!

In doing your seated sequence for Day 2 of the challenge I noticed that my pelvis does not want to tilt forward (I am not sure if it ever has :5: ...but one day I hope it does).  I looked through your blog and I saw a video for tight hips and I also saw a helpful tips for men by using a block when seated to have good posture.  Should I be using a block when doing any yoga positions that requires the pelvis to tilt forward and any tips so that I do not need the block in the future.

I know you have a few but I always enjoy a sequence for tight hips and hamstrings :P

I'll keep the hips and hamstrings in mind for future videos, thanks for sharing! Yes, I would say to use a block and sit on the very edge of it to help the pelvis tilt forward. (If it doesn't tilt it's likely due to really tight hips/hamstrings) :)

KimK likes this

Hi Candace! At first I was a bit overwhelmed with all of your different video choices on your channel. But now I realize the short 15 min ones are good warm ups that I can queue in my play list before the 30-45 min sequence videos.  The only thing I find missing though is a savasana video that I can put at the end of the playlist to finish it off.  

I know it'll be a very boring video to put together, but could we have a 3 and / or 5 minute savasana (all silence is good) where at the end, you can play a chime or whatever you normally do in your live classes?  Just hearing your voice to wake us back up would make me feel like I have the complete yoga experience with you, and it would prevent me from getting up early.

Does anyone else create custom playlists of different videos from Candace for the type of workout you want to do that day, and would you also benefit from a savasana video? Or am I the only one who doesn't have enough self-discipline for non-guided savasana?

YogaByCandace likes this

Hi Candace! At first I was a bit overwhelmed with all of your different video choices on your channel. But now I realize the short 15 min ones are good warm ups that I can queue in my play list before the 30-45 min sequence videos.  The only thing I find missing though is a savasana video that I can put at the end of the playlist to finish it off.  

I know it'll be a very boring video to put together, but could we have a 3 and / or 5 minute savasana (all silence is good) where at the end, you can play a chime or whatever you normally do in your live classes?  Just hearing your voice to wake us back up would make me feel like I have the complete yoga experience with you, and it would prevent me from getting up early.

Does anyone else create custom playlists of different videos from Candace for the type of workout you want to do that day, and would you also benefit from a savasana video? Or am I the only one who doesn't have enough self-discipline for non-guided savasana?

I will totally do that. Would be great to have for the older videos. Due to some positive responses, all recent videos (within the past three weeks or so) have a full savasana at the end :)

Meugenio, KimK and Hildegard like this

Great to know that these can supplement the older videos. I am still catching up with previous material, so I didn't realize the new ones had it. I hope they're just for the longer ones, because I like stitching together the 15 and 20 min ones to get a "customized" workout for that day! Thank you!

YogaByCandace likes this

Hi, I'm new here (I only discovered the site yesterday), so I'm not sure if this has been discussed, or not.

I'm also a newbie to yoga (an inflexible one, at that!). I started in November. I'm 56 and in decent, but not great athletic shape.

I'd love to see a video where a yoga newcomer is trying the poses, alongside a leader who can show what they are doing incorrectly.

In addition, we can see how they work to overcome a lack of flexibly, balance and/or strength.

I love the 'common mistakes' section of this website. A video that focuses on the struggles of a 'rookie' can be helpful.

If I were better looking, I'd volunteer to be the 'student', but I'm afraid I'd just end up scaring the people away from the site (LOL).

Thanks!

YogaByCandace likes this

Hi, I'm new here (I only discovered the site yesterday), so I'm not sure if this has been discussed, or not.

I'm also a newbie to yoga (an inflexible one, at that!). I started in November. I'm 56 and in decent, but not great athletic shape.

I'd love to see a video where a yoga newcomer is trying the poses, alongside a leader who can show what they are doing incorrectly.

In addition, we can see how they work to overcome a lack of flexibly, balance and/or strength.

I love the 'common mistakes' section of this website. A video that focuses on the struggles of a 'rookie' can be helpful.

If I were better looking, I'd volunteer to be the 'student', but I'm afraid I'd just end up scaring the people away from the site (LOL).

Thanks!

It sounds like this might be helpful to you (just click on the photos to enlarge), and this as well.  Oh! And this. These all feature @mrballoonhands, my husband, who is not as flexible as me, and had kindly volunteered to be my beginner yogi on the blog. It's a great idea to produce a video with a newbie! I'll think about how to make that happen - I'll need to rent a studio because my home isn't big enough to film two people in one space, but I do love the idea and will keep it in mind!!

You're awesome! Thanks!

I love watching the videos...in my mind I say "I can do most of the poses"...it looks soooo easy (that is, when I'm watching you do them! LOL)...but when I do them...not so easy

I've been checking out a bunch of yoga websites...I enjoy this one the most.

You're doing a great job!

YogaByCandace and mimisouth like this

You're awesome! Thanks!

I love watching the videos...in my mind I say "I can do most of the poses"...it looks soooo easy (that is, when I'm watching you do them! LOL)...but when I do them...not so easy

I've been checking out a bunch of yoga websites...I enjoy this one the most.

You're doing a great job!

Thanks so much, Larry!

Hello Candace.

Let me say first that I am a fan. Love your style, your voice, your practicality. It suits me well.

Much as I would love to attend yoga classes as I used to when I lived in San Francisco, that is no longer possible now I live in a remote village in the south of Spain. 

I have been trolling youtube for a while trying different people's offerings but nothing really worked for me till I found you. 

I normally work out in the morning and have been doing your 30 minute restorative yoga session to try to get back into mobility.

I cannot find anywhere to move on to and would love a 30-45 minute mixed basic yoga workout for older returnees. A flowing workout that includes sun salutations, standing poses, seated poses, and recumbent poses. I know it may seem like a lot to ask but I need a general stretching all over to get my fitness back.

Thanks for listening!

Di

Cartajima, Spain

How about a "40/40 Video Series"? 

For folks older than 40 years of age and/or more than 40 pounds overweight (there's a lot of folks like that out there!)

The current roster of videos are outstanding. The videos are helpful to those amid their current practice that can compliment their routine, providing tips, advice and structure to yoga enthusiasts.

YBC videos are a goal, but they might be an unrealistic learning tool for someone ten to twenty (or more) years past their peak physical shape. To a curious non-practitioner, someone hoping to get in shape, seeing a young, supple, flexible, beautiful woman gracefully flow through the poses makes for great entertainment, but they're watching the end result of many years of dedication to a craft. 

I'm a newbie, having just started in November, I'm 56 (I just shed 70 pounds) and now preach yoga to anyone unfortunate enough to be within five feet of me (LOL). To me, yoga is not only a perfect "older person's exercise", but vital for the elderly as the combination of balance, strength and flexibility can help prevent many age related injuries (falls, etc.)

Many, or most, outsiders have built in excuses, mainly centering around their perceived inability to fold, bend or stretch. When they think of yoga, they will see the typical "expert yoga poses", such as this...

15de0100440f8b9fcf32eca67b98ac1f.jpg

...conclude "...there's no way I can do that...", and they quickly lose interest.

My vision would be to create a stepping stone to introduce outsiders to yoga. Take a middle aged person, one not in great shape, and, through the course of a few (or more) videos, gradually introduce a series of basic moves (cat/cow, mountain, etc.) techniques (proper breathing and stretching) and verbal coaching to gradually build to the level where the viewer can feel comfortable moving to the next level.

In my humble opinion, even the beginner videos here (and elsewhere) are far too intimidating for the outsider.

What benefit can a 60 year old 250 pound man get from watching a 110 pound pretzel-like expert slide in and out of poses (even if they are beginner poses)?

They'll turn it on...view it for a few seconds and move on (trust me, I know...that's what I used to do!).

Were they to see a contemporary of theirs, one with a paunch, go through the ultra beginning steps...and, over the course of a few videos (which very well might take a few months to produce as the 'star' slowly gets in shape) they can watch and share in the experience of improving their physical profile.

As long as I'm asking...I'd love to hear a few nutrition steps along the way ("make sure you have a plain yogurt to reward yourself after the class" or "after your done, instead of grabbing a sandwich, how about a nice piece of fruit instead!", etc.)

Your site stands out in a crowded field (there's no shortage of hits if you google 'yoga') as you present a caring, concerned image and are actively seeking to help. To the hundreds? thousands? of visitors who are regular practitioners, the blog entries, posts, images and videos serve as useful tools to help fine tune their routine. If you could create a bridge for the outsider to step on in, I think it would be a wonderful tool that can benefit many.

Thanks, Larry, I really appreciate your thoughtful post. It's certainly a great idea. I actually have a post I am currently too scared to hit publish on (but I will work up the nerve soon, promise!), about teaching yoga to overweight people. The long story short is that I lead a retreat on the gorgeous island of Sifnos in Greece (actually, doing two more there in May - shameless plug, but a girl's gotta pay the bills!) and I had a couple who attended. The woman was a petite yoga loving woman in her 40s and her husband was very obese. Together, they go to maybe 3-7 yoga retreats per year (I know!). Anyway, I learned so much from him watching him modify and do his own thing (he asked to be left alone and did not want the class stopped for any reason to address him or his needs. Since he knew his own body and had a very strong personal (beginner) practice, I did as he wished). At the end of the retreat he told me it was the best retreat he had been to, and that he wished I would do a retreat specifically for overweight people, or at least some videos. 

And immediately I thought to myself - ok, Candace, put yourself in an overweight person's shoes. If I'm googling "yoga for older, overweight people" and I stumble across you, a yoga instructor who is relatively young and not at all overweight, I would be annoyed. Like what right does this girl have to teach overweight people, you know? What could she possibly know about my struggle?!

And the truth is, I don't personally know about that struggle. But I do have a longstanding family history of obesity, so I am familiar with the shame, the struggle to just get around and do everyday things. I understand that. But the truth is, an overweight person has a different center-point of gravity. They feel things so much differently than a person who is not overweight.

The worst part is that many (all?) yoga schools teach a loose, yet somewhat specific script for instruction. Forward fold will be "feet are hip distant" and child's pose will forever be a "restorative and gentle pose." Let me tell you something. If you are quite overweight, and you're doing forward fold with your feet hip distant, you're going to fall over because an overweight person's center-point of gravity is different from the non-overweight person. And child's pose will never be a restorative or gentle pose for an overweight person. Rather, it will be hard to freaking breathe and brutal for the knees and feel totally awkward. I know this, but I cannot demonstrate this since I am not overweight. So, just like your suggestion, I thought to myself, well, if I could just find someone who would be willing to shoot some photos with me so I could explain various modifications that are specific to overweight people, or if I could talk that person through a short routine, then maybe I would be able to help people like the man in my retreat...and help other yoga teachers out there who just don't know, through no fault of their own, how to teach overweight people.

I'm still working on how to do that in a way that feels authentic to me. Right now, I am traveling all the time, and I don't have a studio where I can shoot, or a willing participant. However, it is definitely on my list of things I really want to accomplish within the next few months, so I am hopeful everything will fall in the right place. 

As for nutrition, I tend to steer clear of talking about it because I have a blogging friend who actually received death threats when she switched from being vegan to eating meat. I, too, have had really unkind remarks on my blog and Facebook due to my diet (I follow the GAPS diet to heal my stomach from longtime antibiotic use for Lyme Disease, it's much like the Paleo diet, only it has an emphasis on healing foods like bone broths and traditionally cultured foods like kefir and sauerkraut). It's actually the reason I haven't done a recipe post in a while. I know you can't please everyone all the time, but it's hard to do what you enjoy doing joyfully when there's always someone around the corner ready to tear you down. Food is like politics - people get a little nuts about it, and so for now, I avoid talking too much about that (and politics) haha

starslight and Meugenio like this

...or a willing participant. ...

If you want, I can put back on the 70 that I lost, okay? JK

...Food is like politics - people get a little nuts about it, and so for now, I avoid talking too much about that (and politics) haha

You're a very bright young lady!

I learned that you are not supposed to talk about the big three subjects in public (sex, politics or religion)...it's best to focus on the weather (or how pathetic the local sports team played last night)!

Back on topic, it doesn't even have to be geared towards the obese, but rather towards the out of shape beginner, one who never tried yoga.

I recall, a year ago, when a friend's daughter met me at my gym and enthusiastically lead me the yoga studio. She showed me a few moves and had me try downward dog, which she described as a 'relaxation pose'. I thought, as my thighs were burning with excruciating pain, if this is a relaxation pose, I aint doing yoga. 

Her mistake, like, I guess, the problem with most of the instructional videos, is they are geared towards people at level two or three with an attempt to get them to level ten.

The void to be filled is to find the level zero people and get them to level one or two (if that makes any sense). Starting with Baby Steps (hey, I just invented a yoga term!)

...And immediately I thought to myself - ok, Candace, put yourself in an overweight person's shoes. If I'm googling "yoga for older, overweight people" and I stumble across you, a yoga instructor who is relatively young and not at all overweight, I would be annoyed. Like what right does this girl have to teach overweight people, you know? What could she possibly know about my struggle?...

It's not so much that we don't think you can relate, but rather, I'll never look, nor move, like that, so how can I learn from this?

I'd love to see the hybrid approach, watching both a willowy, flexible pro and a rigid, chubby beginner try the same things.

I started learning from a video system at my fitness center that had three leaders, where one was supposed to be a beginner, showing the cheats. It helped, but the beginner (LOL) was either a triathlete, professional dancer or a seasoned yogi.

There's a gazillion baby boomers out there, many of whom (or is it who???...I wish I paid attention in grammar!) are hitting the age where they (after years of neglect) start focusing on their health. 

starslight and YogaByCandace like this

Hi Candace!  Could you put together a 30 minute (or longer) video that works on the hips? I know you have a morning practice one like that, but I much prefer one with a faster speed :)  Thanks!

YogaByCandace likes this

Hi Candace!  Could you put together a 30 minute (or longer) video that works on the hips? I know you have a morning practice one like that, but I much prefer one with a faster speed :)  Thanks!

The thing about hip opening is that it's best done slowly, so I could definitely do some fun, faster paced stuff that uses open hips but in order to *get* the open hips, we should move slowly... does that make sense?  :)

YogiRishi likes this

Can you prepare instructional overview videos (along side the 'classes' that you currently do)?

Most of your classes are 15, 20 or 30 minutes long.

That's great if you want to do the class, but what about the curious observer who wants to see what the video entails?

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the time spent on each move, but to someone looking to see what the video is about or learn what the routine is...watching five minutes of savasana is a bit of overkill (pun intended).

I'd love to see a 3 minute summary of a class.

For this overview, it isn't necessary to watch certain poses for 30 seconds or a minute, etc.

YogaByCandace likes this

Can you prepare instructional overview videos (along side the 'classes' that you currently do)?

Most of your classes are 15, 20 or 30 minutes long.

That's great if you want to do the class, but what about the curious observer who wants to see what the video entails?

That's such a great idea! My only hesitation is that I have the slowest internet connection in the world right now (a 2 minute instructional pose break down video takes over 4 hours to upload, ugh).... so what about a summary in the post with what poses/sequences/focuses each video is working on? Definitely not the same, but at least you'll get more info?

mimisouth likes this

Hey, beggars can't be choosers, so I'll be pleased with what ever you post.  :)

A written or photo summary? Not sure.

There are a gazillion photos and blog posts out there...but (as far as I'm aware) a dearth of summary videos (a minute or two...the average attention span of the typical adult... showing a routine)

If you're connection is slow, it doesn't have to be done today...I'm patient, I can happily wait months to see it.

YogaByCandace likes this

And immediately I thought to myself - ok, Candace, put yourself in an overweight person's shoes. If I'm googling "yoga for older, overweight people" and I stumble across you, a yoga instructor who is relatively young and not at all overweight, I would be annoyed. Like what right does this girl have to teach overweight people, you know? What could she possibly know about my struggle?!

And the truth is, I don't personally know about that struggle. But I do have a longstanding family history of obesity, so I am familiar with the shame, the struggle to just get around and do everyday things. I understand that. But the truth is, an overweight person has a different center-point of gravity. They feel things so much differently than a person who is not overweight.

I only ever really get annoyed at myself--I'm the one who let my body get this way, after all. As long as you're knowledgeable and compassionate--and you are--it doesn't matter to me what you look like. I think a lot of overweight people would be glad just to be acknowledged. And I think most people recognize that it takes a lot of hard work and discipline to be in good shape. When I see an instructor who's super-fit, I'm not thinking about whether or not they can relate to my struggle, I'm wondering how they got to where they are and hoping to learn from them.

It does sometimes feel like yoga instructors have never known what it's like to be inflexible, though. It's frustrating to have to figure out my own modifications for nearly every pose as I'm practicing. Instead of focusing on my breath and how my body's feeling, I'm wondering if I'm modifying correctly and whether or not I'm actually getting any benefits from the pose with the way I'm doing it.

I think you deserve a lot of credit for writing here and on your blog about some of the things overweight people might need to do to make a yoga practice that works for them. I've learned some really helpful principles. It's a sensitive subject and tricky to talk about, which I guess is why most of the online yoga instruction I've seen doesn't bring it up at all. I'm grateful that you do.