YogaByCandace

Youtube Video Request

144 posts in this topic

I only ever really get annoyed at myself--I'm the one who let my body get this way, after all. As long as you're knowledgeable and compassionate--and you are--it doesn't matter to me what you look like. I think a lot of overweight people would be glad just to be acknowledged. And I think most people recognize that it takes a lot of hard work and discipline to be in good shape. When I see an instructor who's super-fit, I'm not thinking about whether or not they can relate to my struggle, I'm wondering how they got to where they are and hoping to learn from them.

It does sometimes feel like yoga instructors have never known what it's like to be inflexible, though. It's frustrating to have to figure out my own modifications for nearly every pose as I'm practicing. Instead of focusing on my breath and how my body's feeling, I'm wondering if I'm modifying correctly and whether or not I'm actually getting any benefits from the pose with the way I'm doing it.

I think you deserve a lot of credit for writing here and on your blog about some of the things overweight people might need to do to make a yoga practice that works for them. I've learned some really helpful principles. It's a sensitive subject and tricky to talk about, which I guess is why most of the online yoga instruction I've seen doesn't bring it up at all. I'm grateful that you do.

Thanks so much for your input. It's so valuable to me to hear your experiences. I think I will go ahead and post the post. I can't imagine how difficult and frustrating it must be to figure out your own modifications. The only thing I can say with 100% certainty (ok, 98% certainty) is that it's likely that your instructor was never taught modifications for overweight people, and probably wants to help you but just doesn't know what to do. I do hope that yoga schools will start addressing this because without it, we're not only making yoga unavailable to a number of people, but we're making it unsafe for those who are brave enough to come.

Thanks so much for your input. It's so valuable to me to hear your experiences. I think I will go ahead and post the post. I can't imagine how difficult and frustrating it must be to figure out your own modifications. The only thing I can say with 100% certainty (ok, 98% certainty) is that it's likely that your instructor was never taught modifications for overweight people, and probably wants to help you but just doesn't know what to do. I do hope that yoga schools will start addressing this because without it, we're not only making yoga unavailable to a number of people, but we're making it unsafe for those who are brave enough to come.

I've never taken a public class (I'm ascared), so I'm just talking about yoga videos I follow on YouTube. I do get that I'm the one doing it wrong by strictly practicing alone, though. A demonstration of a modification of a particularly twisty posture here and there in a video might help, though I'd understand if that didn't jibe with your (impressively efficient) approach.

Late edit: I don't know if it'd make for a good YouTube video, but it would be helpful to know who your yoga videos are intended for and what purpose you're intending them to serve. Maybe you've discussed this already and I just haven't come across it.

Edited by starslight
YogaByCandace likes this

I've never taken a public class (I'm ascared), so I'm just talking about yoga videos I follow on YouTube. I do get that I'm the one doing it wrong by strictly practicing alone, though. A demonstration of a modification of a particularly twisty posture here and there in a video might help, though I'd understand if that didn't jibe with your (impressively efficient) approach.

Late edit: I don't know if it'd make for a good YouTube video, but it would be helpful to know who your yoga videos are intended for and what purpose you're intending them to serve. Maybe you've discussed this already and I just haven't come across it.

You are not doing it wrong by doing it alone (that's actually the sign of someone who is serious and focused and disciplined, so pat yourself on the back for that!). This is a fantastic idea and one I will definitely try to instill more often! There are some playlists on the youtube channel that are broken down into various categories (morning yoga, gentle yoga, power, yoga for legs, etc), but I will definitely do my best to add modification options, promise! 

starslight likes this

I've never taken a public class (I'm ascared), ...

As a fellow (and formerly) hesitant participant, I avoided live classes for the same reason.

Eventually, I realized that without someone guiding me and pointing out where I might have had the wrong posture, my reluctance wasn't serving me well.

There's nothing to be afraid of (trust me)...the worst thing that will happen is you'll learn a few new techniques....the best thing that will happen is you'll have a great time.

Swallow your pride (fear?) and bite the bullet.

YogaByCandace likes this

Dear Candace, I would appreciate yoga sequence focused on lymphatic system in general (I have some issues with my tonsils so if there is something special which could help me to "make lymph flowing in that area" I would be happy to know .))  greetings from czech republic .) 

YogaByCandace likes this

That's such a great idea! My only hesitation is that I have the slowest internet connection in the world right now (a 2 minute instructional pose break down video takes over 4 hours to upload, ugh).... so what about a summary in the post with what poses/sequences/focuses each video is working on? Definitely not the same, but at least you'll get more info?

I like the idea of previewing a list of poses in case I want to do a video that includes a certain one, so the summary is already sufficient for me.  However, for those wanting to watch the routine beforehand, can't some software speed up the video superfast as a different version? Then no need to record a separate overview video.

YogaByCandace likes this

I like the idea of previewing a list of poses in case I want to do a video that includes a certain one, so the summary is already sufficient for me.  However, for those wanting to watch the routine beforehand, can't some software speed up the video superfast as a different version? Then no need to record a separate overview video.

I have the ability to speed up the video superfast in my editing program, it's just the uploading it onto the internet that is tough.

Dear Candace, I would appreciate yoga sequence focused on lymphatic system in general (I have some issues with my tonsils so if there is something special which could help me to "make lymph flowing in that area" I would be happy to know .))  greetings from czech republic .) 

Hi there! All yoga gets the lymph moving, so really you can't go wrong with whichever video you pick. For tonsils, hmm, I would maybe recommend the neck and shoulders video.

Martina likes this

I like the idea of previewing a list of poses 

Hey, beggars can't be choosers, so I'll be pleased with what ever you post.  :)

Hey you two!  I just realized upload time would be SIGNIFICANTLY shorter if I posted the vid on instagram. From there I was able to embed it into the post. See what I mean in today's post. It's really fast (only because instagram allows 15 secs or less) but at least you get to see what's going on. :24:

Hey Candace!

First off, THANK YOU for all of your guidance and advice for those of us on our yoga journey.  I know that you have posted a yin yoga sequence on your blog, and also created a video for everyone.  Would you be able to recommend a few more poses and how to adapt them for a yin practice?  I recently discovered yin and I have fallen in love with it, but am unsure as to how to adapt a pose (and what poses in particular!).  Any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you again!

The worst part is that many (all?) yoga schools teach a loose, yet somewhat specific script for instruction. Forward fold will be "feet are hip distant" and child's pose will forever be a "restorative and gentle pose." Let me tell you something. If you are quite overweight, and you're doing forward fold with your feet hip distant, you're going to fall over because an overweight person's center-point of gravity is different from the non-overweight person. And child's pose will never be a restorative or gentle pose for an overweight person. Rather, it will be hard to freaking breathe and brutal for the knees and feel totally awkward. I know this, but I cannot demonstrate this since I am not overweight. So, just like your suggestion, I thought to myself, well, if I could just find someone who would be willing to shoot some photos with me so I could explain various modifications that are specific to overweight people, or if I could talk that person through a short routine, then maybe I would be able to help people like the man in my retreat...and help other yoga teachers out there who just don't know, through no fault of their own, how to teach overweight people.

First off, I haven't figured out this forum post thing, and I was trying to quote Candace, not myself above! So no, "TheDogAteMyYogaMat" did not make the above statement, lol. Sorry! :wacko: Anyway...

In my teacher training program, there is a gal who is overweight and not ashamed at all about it. It's great because she's helped those of us who aren't to better understand some of the limitations she faces. Twisting, feet placement, and arm balances are all issues she has raised. She is a fabulous teacher and is comfortable moving into childs pose (despite how this may seem counterintuitive) or doing her own thing when she needs to...

My TT program isn't specifically geared towards accommodating every type of limitation (it's only 200 hours!), but every time the above-mentioned gal brings up a limitation she has, the teachers help her to find an accessible variation of the pose. Maybe you could include variations and modifications in your how-to-do-x-pose videos? Like for forward folding, making use of blocks or even suggest doing a half-dog at the wall or a chair? Or for people who are stiff in the shoulders and can't (a) physically raise their arms in warrior 1, moving their shoulders down their backs and doing goal-post arms; or ( B) in down dog - widening their hand placement...those sorts of things. Just my two cents <a href=http://www.freesmile

YogaByCandace and starslight like this

Not sure if it's been done or exists, but I'd love to see a video designed for people who've never done yoga.
I've told everyone who will listen to me that they should try yoga, but don't have a simple video that introduces the practice, including discussion on what to expect, how to approach it, etc.

There are a ton of people out there who could benefit, but I'd say a little bit more than 95% of them are intimidated.

A 'baby step' introduction might help them cross over

mimisouth likes this

Not sure if it's been done or exists, but I'd love to see a video designed for people who've never done yoga.
I've told everyone who will listen to me that they should try yoga, but don't have a simple video that introduces the practice, including discussion on what to expect, how to approach it, etc.
There are a ton of people out there who could benefit, but I'd say a little bit more than 95% of them are intimidated.

I agree Larry. This weekend my brother joined me in my yoga practice. He was surprised how challenging yoga was and was interested in practising yoga but concerned he was too inflexible.. I think this sort of video would be good for newbies...

Tell him I was inflexible (when I started in November), could barely get half way down my shins...now I can straight leg touch my toes.

Haha here is a very, verrrrry old YBC vid that goes through what to expect at a vinyasa class and some tips for total beginners. I should probably do an updated one since I have better equipment now. :)

LarryD517 and mimisouth like this

That's perfect! just what I was hoping for..

I think there could even be a series of videos

One comment, if I may...that video shows stuff for beginners, but poses that few beginners could match if they tried (which they would) to emulate you.

You effortlessly flipped into a shoulder stand...me, after four months of doing it every day, still struggle to get it up... :21: yikes!!! oops! to get my legs up in the air

(sorry about that!  :3:).

Hopping forward after down dog is clearly something no beginner can do...better to show someone walking forward?

What I mean to say is, the videos show an expert doing beginner's moves as an expert...maybe if you do a new series, show it as an expert pretending to be a beginner?

YogaByCandace and mimisouth like this

Totally hear what you're saying, Larry. Thanks for the feedback. I think I really struggle with remembering to be a beginner. I tried in today's video to remember to say things like not to worry if your heels can't come down in downward dog. It's like muscle memory, you know? I never think about bending my knees in downward dog because I don't have to at this point in my practice. For this reason I'm trying to talk Greg into doing a yoga for beginners series since he's tighter and will naturally do beginner things. I'll still keep adding the beginner tips and intending to remember them when I film but I do think getting Greg on board will be really beneficial for beginners. :) 

mimisouth and KimK like this

:(

...(maybe it's just me, but) it's more fun to watch you than him

You effortlessly flipped into a shoulder stand...me, after four months of doing it every day, still struggle to get it up... :21: yikes!!! oops! to get my legs up in the air

(sorry about that!  :3:).

With respect, can we keep it about the yoga, please? Candace rocks it in videos, and she is very generous in how she shares her yoga with us. If she thinks that there is merit in having her less-flexible husband star in her videos designed to help less flexible folks, why not? These types of comments do not add to the discussion.

Hi Candace! I am not sure if my request has already been asked, as I have not read through all 4 pages, so if so I apologize. Your 30 minute restorative yoga video was a game changer for me & I would really love to see another video like this. I have your current one memorized & follow it almost daily.

Long story short end of last year I had a very serious health crash. It was a difficult time and as I picked up the pieces and began working back towards a healthier me, it was suggested that the only form of exercise I should do was gentle yoga. Having had almost no experience with yoga before I searched youtube, found a few okay videos, a few that left me hurting, and then I found yours. I was hooked. Inevitably, in this process I also ended up healing an 18 year old back injury due to a car accident when I was a kid - I'm still amazed by that - it makes me laugh when I think about it! I had no intention of healing it, didn't think it could be - and what do you know. I am stronger now, and am slowly branching out to your other videos - but am still very new, and not strong at all, and really love & am grateful for the restorative video you have. 

Thanks for all you do, you're an asset to the yoga community & thanks to you I am now a fully proclaimed yoga junkie. 

Namasté 

@WatermelonGypsy - Thanks so much for sharing what you've gone through and how you've emerged so much stronger! I'm so glad the 30 min restorative is helpful. I've done a few other restoratives that you might want to check out (I just haven't named them restorative for whatever reason - ha!) but I will definitely keep your request in mind because to be honest, restorative is a secret favorite of mine! Until the new one comes out, try these: 

30 Minute Restorative Yoga Video for Hip Flexibility

25 Minutes Relaxing Cool Down Yoga

15 Minute Chill Out Restorative Yoga Video