Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sadhamstrings

Looking For The Name Of A Yoga Posture

9 posts in this topic

Anyone know the name of this pose?  I'll describe it:

It's basically Virasana (Hero Pose) but with with the knees going out to the side (so there's a wide gap between knees).  As you advance you try and widen those knees more and more.  

I learned this pose years back, when I was studying yoga in India - we'd always do this pose everyday, twice a day for like 20 minutes at a time lol.  The teacher said, that if we did this every day for 5 minutes, we'd never have to see a doctor lol.  It was his biggest love I think.   

Thing is, I've never seen this pose on youtube on in books.  Unless I'm not looking properly!  I'm personally loving this pose because it seems that it could be a useful aid to the side splits (I might stand corrected - I'm not very knowledgeable tbh, just going by feeling here).  

Any thoughts? Is this a legit pose?  

Cheers :)

Lol, no Jasmine, nothing like that.  :lol:

My fault, probably did a very bad explanation!  :unsure:

Nah, it's pretty much the same as virasana (you're vertical) but instead of knees being together, you gradually slide them out to the side, i.e, left knee goes left and right knee goes right.  My teacher could do this so it sort of looked like a split, but in a virasana type position (if that makes any sense - e.g, sort of like a split without any calves lol). 

I think after that it would be a case of doing a forward bend through the legs (although it's been such a long time my memory might be a bit wonky). 

Prasarita - wide or spread wide - Virasana. I have to say I think your teacher was making stuff up. Nobody seems to have heard of it before and you can't find it anywhere. There may be a good reason why we can't find it?

Virasana and all backbends are always taught with the thighs parallel and internally rotated. Having the legs spread apart would create a very unstable connection between the pelvis and spine. In backbends we put a great deal of effort into creating a very stable connection between the pelvis and spine.

Samakonasana - center splits , the knees are very vulnerable to injury if not done with proper strength and alignment. I get the 'heebeegeebees' just thinking about all the bad things that can happen if not done correctly. If you can find a good teacher I am sure that would be helpful.

Sorry for the not so positive response, I was a little uncomfortable posting. But this seems to go against everything I have learned. 

The part about sliding the knees out sounds like a frog pose.  But then having the body upright doesn't sound right if it's frog pose.  Sounds painfull to me!  So I must be thinking incorrectly.

MrBalloonHands likes this

Prasarita - wide or spread wide - Virasana.

This might be right - an image search yielded this. But I don't see any other image returns.

The part about sliding the knees out sounds like a frog pose.  But then having the body upright doesn't sound right if it's frog pose.  Sounds painfull to me!  So I must be thinking incorrectly.

Good call! I looked for "frog pose upright" and find this (picture below).   Most images for mandukasana that are upright are diagrams and not people.  Modern yoga goes through trends, maybe this pose has been phased out in favor of laying arms on the floor in frog pose?

Mandukasana.gif

MrBalloonHands likes this

Thanks a lot guys, you've managed to solve the mystery!

@yogafire, yeah, the one you linked to:

http://asana.ha-tha.ru/prasarita-virasana

That's the one!  Blimey, does look like a 'made up' pose then. 

@Anahata.  No no, don't be sorry.  Tbh, that was exactly the sort of response I was looking for.  Thanks a lot.   I've always been a bit tentative about practising this move because it doesn't seem to really exist anywhere.  That was really the main reason for posting this thread, for people's opinion if it was safe to practice or not.  I'll probably steer clear of it now, after what you've said. 

Again, thanks a lot people - finally got there in the end!  :lol:

Yogabliss likes this