Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jake

Music For Your Practice

9 posts in this topic

Does anyone else enjoy music while they practice? If I am not following a video, I usually put on an album and get to work. Although there are many relaxation tracks on youtube and whatnot, I find that albums by some of my favorite artists are really great to have playing during my practice. 

Here are some of my favorites: 

Childish Gambino - Kauai, Because The Internet 

Nujabes - Metaphorical Music

John Mayer - Battle Studies, Where The Light Is

Frank Ocean - Channel Orange, Nostalgia Ultra

any N.E.R.D. album 

alt-J - An Awesome Wave

Incubus - Morning View

/

What are some of yours? 

yogagrammy, roxychalk, Oak and 1 other like this

Does anyone else enjoy music while they practice? If I am not following a video, I usually put on an album and get to work. Although there are many relaxation tracks on youtube and whatnot, I find that albums by some of my favorite artists are really great to have playing during my practice. 

any N.E.R.D. album 

alt-J - An Awesome Wave

Incubus - Morning View

/

What are some of yours? 

Oh man alt-J is so awesome, I love them. 

A few current favorite songs for yoga (they're mostly instrumental cuz otherwise I'll start singing along and there goes my focus haha):

Walk-Phaeleh Remix by Ludovico Einaudi

My friends never die (little people remix) by Odesza

Jai Sita Ram-instrumental by MC Yogi

Flux by Garth Stevenson (esp if you turn it up so you can really hear the 808)

Basique by Little People

An old peasant like me by Explosions in the sky & david wingo

yogagrammy, EmilyC, Jake and 2 others like this

I love the album Sea Changes by Beck. His new one called Morning Phase is good too. Shepherd Moons by Enya also has a lot of good flowy tracks for yoga. Then there's good old Krishna Das for some authentic Cali vibes. Sometimes it's surprising where you find music for yoga. Even the Beastie Boys have some mellow tracks for the mat. My favourite is Namaste. I have 3 different yoga playlists on my iPod that I rotate when I'm in the mood for music in my practice. 

At present I am not using any music as I am just learning what I can from the many videos by Candace. However, traditionally I have often worked out to mainly Metal. Something about the power and energy in Metal that just drives me harder. Will love to apply it to Yoga once I have developed by own sequences :-)

YogaByCandace likes this

any N.E.R.D. album 

alt-J - An Awesome Wave

Incubus - Morning View

/

What are some of yours? 

Oh, Childish Gambino and Incubus! I love listening to those artists, but I never thought of doing it while practicing yoga. 

At present I am not using any music as I am just learning what I can from the many videos by Candace. However, traditionally I have often worked out to mainly Metal. Something about the power and energy in Metal that just drives me harder. Will love to apply it to Yoga once I have developed by own sequences :-)

Definitely! Metal is the jam for me usually, too! There is a specific "type" of yoga called BlackYoga, so if you haven't heard it yet, you should check it out. It's basically yoga set to nu-wave and ambient metal. I think it's pretty nifty because they have playlists all ready to listen to. 

KimK likes this

I'm with you on the Candace videos. Her voice is so calm while giving instruction and then for the pose it's dead silence. I love it!! It is the only time I can have quiet. It really helps me relax. Then after the video during the rest of the day.....anything could happen.

I've found two albums by the Reflections label, both have a zen vibe to them and are instrumental which I find is best for me in my practice or even for meditation. They have helped immensely with my focus and relaxation. The first of the CD set is called Zen and the Art of Relaxation, and the other is T'ai Chi: Music for Relaxation by Tomas Walker. Along with these two, I really enjoy a lot of tracks by Explosions in the Sky.

Laura likes this