Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kmkb

Cross-Training For Yoga

4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! I posted in "Ask a Yoga Question", but I'm just too impatient to wait for another blog post! (I guess I haven't practiced enough to learn patience, hehe)

Here is my question:

I have seen a lot of material about how to add yoga to an existing fitness routine. However, if yoga is my primary form of exercise, what workouts can I add that will complement yoga?

Of course I eagerly await Candace's response, but I wanted to know if anyone else started their fitness journey with yoga first. I would love to hear (read?) your thoughts, opinions, and stories!

This is probably not very helpful, because I'm a relative noob, but it's yet another person's routine I guess :)

I combine yoga with good old fashion bodyweight exercises.  Basically this entails: pushups, chins, back bends, squats, abs and handstand push ups.  This, I follow from the cheesiest book title ever written: "Convict Conditioning".  In spite of its crass title, it's probably the most comprehensive and detailed book ever written for proper form and sensible progression regarding BW exercises.  I do this 3 times a week, and then practice yoga for 1 or 2 hours a day 6 days a week.  It's a nice balance I have to say.  I'm a very lazy person as well; I don't really go in for the jump and up and down yoga stuff - I like to 'flop' into yoga postures for 5 or 10 minutes at a time.  Probably not the best routine in the world, but it's something that suits my personality (i.e, lazy git) and which I'll be able to stick to. 

I also add horse stance to my routine as well (on the advice of the readings from Paulie Zink <the founder of Yin yoga> who reckons it's one the most important things you can do). 

kmkb likes this

Thanks for your reply! I know what you mean about the "lazy" stuff—sometimes I'll get into half-plank before a teacher suggests it, haha! ;) And I'm relatively new, too; so we're in this together.

I think I'll be adding bodyweight exercises to my fitness routine. I recently found the FitDeck, which I'm very excited about! I can't afford a gym membership and I don't have room for much equipment, so it seems like a cheap alternative.

I'll have to do some more research on "Convict Conditioning" and horse stance. Thank you!

sadhamstrings likes this

Sounds great kmkb, yeah, I can't afford a gym either lol, but tbh, that's where my laziness kicks in anyway - I'd have to walk, cycle or public transport my way to a gym, then get changed, then warm up, then lift weights, then shower, then get dressed, then get back home.  For me, that's way too much effort lol.  I've just reached that age where I'm looking for 'hacks' to get some results but not striving too much.  I guess I just know my limitations.  That said, is there much point to going to a gym anyway if you can't knock out 10 perfect form handstand push ups, or 15 perfect chins?   ;)

Same with diet.  I've spent my life yo-yoing, now I just do intermittent fasting and it sorted itself out without really much effort on my part.  Hacks!  :lol: