Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Anahata

Hip Flexors - Psoas And Sitting

5 posts in this topic

Most seem to have a huge problem these days with way too much sitting. Myself included. This causes all kinds of problems for us. A search 'psoas muscle' will show the muscle group and how they pull on the lumbar spine. And how too much sitting shortens these muscles and makes this worse.

I try to fit the good lessons from yoga into my everyday life. Tying my shoes, forward fold. I can fit many different ones into my everyday life, a little bit of practice all day long. It might feel a little weird at first to make these changes but it quickly becomes comfortable.

I spend a large amount of time working on my computer at home. I come to YogaByCandace for a little break sometimes to see what's up, smile. Anyway I had this idea for sitting. What I do is only sit half on the chair. My left side is on the seat of the chair and my right side is out to the side, completely off the chair. I put my knee down towards the floor so the right side of me is kneeling on the floor. I put a foam block under the right knee for the correct height. I tilt my pelvis, counternutation of the sacrum, until I find a very comfortable position. Also create some length in the spine. And of course alternate sides. To picture this, it is similar low lunge - Anjaneyasana. When I first tried this it was extremely awkward but soon became very comfortable.

This is Yin, maybe 5 minutes on each side. Some counter poses after this, forward fold and twist.

I will update my progress as time passes. Now I have a little confession. My right side is much tighter than the left, or used to be. So I have only been doing this on my right side for 2 days and I already notice a really big difference with my right side.

I can't recommend that others try this. I don't see any problems for anyone that does not have any preexisting conditions but I am making stuff up here (sort of) so use caution. And as I mentioned it is quite similar to low lunge - Anjaneyasana. Maybe others will add input. I don't have any yoga classes to go to. If you do maybe you could ask your teacher for input as well.

If we can improve our time sitting we are doing ourselves a world of favors.

Namaste

yogagrammy and YogaByCandace like this

Um hello this is AWESOME - great idea to incorporate into a chair yoga session or something. 

I 100% agree that sitting is causing so many problems. The majority of my day is spent sitting at a computer and it's TOUGH on my hips. I used to be a Spanish teacher and in grad school we learned that people have the same attention span as their ages. For example, if you're teaching 8 year olds, they can perfectly focus for 8 minutes and then they'll need a break - nothing major, just a quick get up, stretch, or talk to their friend or whatever, and then they can come back and continue working for another 8 minutes. So for me, at 30 years old, I find that not only is my attention span up at that time, but my BODY needs a break too! I spend 30 mins in conference calls and emails and research and writing and then I get up, make some tea, do a little stretching while I wait for my water to boil, and then I can come back to my desk and continue working. It sounds crazy, like maybe you can't get so much done in short bursts like that, but I find that my productivity is far greater when I take breaks...and my body (particularly my hips) thanks me too. :)  Do keep us posted on your half-seated experiment - I love that idea and will give it a try when my blocks and stuff arrive from storage

I work at home on a computer as well, but ditched the chair completely years back.  My computer sits on a very low coffee table and my 'chair' is 6 yoga blocks stuck together to form a sort of mattress.  Best decision I've ever made tbh; although in my 40s I feel better and move better than when I was in my twenties, and I'm sure it's all down to years being constantly sitting in various yoga positions while working away at my desk.  

Favourite positions while 'sitting' would be the shoe-lace 'pose'.  :)

If you youtube Dr James Levine, he's got plenty to say about chairs and how it's literally ruining our health and taking years off our life. 

I think this is day 4 or 5 now. And yup, it's working for me. My daily practice is strong vinyasa flow. Usually I have a mostly flexible back but kind of stiff and I have to work at alignment in deep backbends. In my last practice my back was like a rubber noodle and quickly realized I should take it easy with that. Take my time and work into the flexibility slowly. About half way through 'something' happened. I am not really sure what. I have heard some things about emotional releases. But it didn't seem like that to me. It was more like I was pumped full of chemicals, not that I would know what that was like. I finished my practice very gently (gently for that type of practice) and took it easy after that. It was a strange experience. I will see what happens next time.

I do this on both sides now for about 30 minutes total.  Sitting is much better now as well. The speed of all the changes is really surprising me.

Candace, Thanks for the compliment. But I can't recommend this to others because I am not a yoga teacher and not qualified. If you can make a video or teaching that would be great!

Sadhamstrings, You are absolutely right about getting rid of the chair. Funny picture by the way.

Most seem to have a huge problem these days with way too much sitting. Myself included. This causes all kinds of problems for us. A search 'psoas muscle' will show the muscle group and how they pull on the lumbar spine. And how too much sitting shortens these muscles and makes this worse.

I try to fit the good lessons from yoga into my everyday life. Tying my shoes, forward fold. I can fit many different ones into my everyday life, a little bit of practice all day long. It might feel a little weird at first to make these changes but it quickly becomes comfortable.

I spend a large amount of time working on my computer at home. I come to YogaByCandace for a little break sometimes to see what's up, smile. Anyway I had this idea for sitting. What I do is only sit half on the chair. My left side is on the seat of the chair and my right side is out to the side, completely off the chair. I put my knee down towards the floor so the right side of me is kneeling on the floor. I put a foam block under the right knee for the correct height. I tilt my pelvis, counternutation of the sacrum, until I find a very comfortable position. Also create some length in the spine. And of course alternate sides. To picture this, it is similar low lunge - Anjaneyasana. When I first tried this it was extremely awkward but soon became very comfortable.

This is Yin, maybe 5 minutes on each side. Some counter poses after this, forward fold and twist.

I will update my progress as time passes. Now I have a little confession. My right side is much tighter than the left, or used to be. So I have only been doing this on my right side for 2 days and I already notice a really big difference with my right side.

I can't recommend that others try this. I don't see any problems for anyone that does not have any preexisting conditions but I am making stuff up here (sort of) so use caution. And as I mentioned it is quite similar to low lunge - Anjaneyasana. Maybe others will add input. I don't have any yoga classes to go to. If you do maybe you could ask your teacher for input as well.

If we can improve our time sitting we are doing ourselves a world of favors.

Namaste

I really love this idea and am trying it now while I'm sitting at work (yes, I'm on my computer at my hospital where I work nights!  :whistling: ) I hope it helps as I've noticed a problem with my psoas also.