Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FemmeLife

Outdoor Yoga

9 posts in this topic

Last night I had a really powerful yoga session in which I "made up" the sequencing myself. I am considering practicing yoga outside once weather becomes a LOT warmer. I am considering the beach and a local park where the ground should be relatively even.

Any tips?
Do any of you bring headphones, phone, and/or tablet?

Hey that is AWESOME! Great job. 

I used to practice yoga on the beach when I was in Florida. I'd use my phone/headphones (I love these by Bose because they really stay in and they actually fit my tiny ears because they come with three different size earbud cover things), and then I'd just pop the phone into the little pocket of my pants or between my waist and the band of the pants. It worked out really well for me, and I loved practicing on the beach at sunrise.

Meugenio and Yogabliss like this

I love practicing outside! I do find, especially if it's in a public space, that it helps to have headphones in - otherwise I get a little too distracted. But sometimes a little distraction is good practice for keeping your focus :)

MrBalloonHands likes this

I don't have a private space for practicing yoga in the home or garden so whenever I practice yoga I always wear headphones to keep the distractions to a minimum.

Having a 6 and 4 year olds they have a tendency to constantly interrupt my practice. The headphones help keep out the noise of them playing (or fighting) have taught the kids not to interrupt me when I'm practicing and go to their Dad!

I have found practicing in the garden makes my practice more playful and explore the space more.. Although I havent attempted to practice in public just my own garden!

We are blessed with acreage, I often dedicate a playful practice outside while the dog is loose. She is a great distraction, but even better for inspiration. The practice is made up mainly of standing poses, since every time I rest or am inverted she has to be in the action. That being said savasana in woods with a cuddly dog is priceless. 

mimisouth likes this

We are blessed with acreage, I often dedicate a playful practice outside while the dog is loose. She is a great distraction, but even better for inspiration. The practice is made up mainly of standing poses, since every time I rest or am inverted she has to be in the action. That being said savasana in woods with a cuddly dog is priceless. 

My cat sometimes likes to join me in my practice. Downward dog and savasana are the moments she tends to "join" me the most.

Sometimes she even gets upset if I am on the mat and she is trying to lie down. Smh.

Oak and YogaByCandace like this

Sorry for something I neglected to ask: does anyone use podcasts or do you all just make up your own rountine
I was considering bringing my iPad out with me and using a few videos I've purchased.

mimisouth likes this

I love the idea of practicing outside, but if I was in public I think I'd feel a bit self conscious. The most I've done outside is playing around with handstands!

YogaByCandace likes this

Public parks here in Dubai offer free yoga sessions. During winter, they do a 5am session. It gets a little trickier during the summer though because of the heat and humidity.

There is actually a group of like-minded folks who get together every Friday morning and practice in the park. They like to practice in a circle too. I attended my first open-air yoga session in December just before we went on holiday and I enjoyed it. It was a little loud and distracting as the Beat The Diabetes fun walk was also happening that morning. During meditation, the insects buzzing around and hovering were the distraction!

I would very much like to join a full moon session one of these days! Some groups do it by the beach so it must feel really serene, I imagine.

MrBalloonHands likes this