Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fantagold

I Keep Using My Fingertaps, Is This Normal??!

2 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I'm new here!  I have been practicing yoga for about 15 years,more intensively in the past 5.  I have been to many classes but for the past 8 years I have either self-practiced, alone in my apartment or along to online classes.  Many many brilliant and inspiring teachers helping me along my yoga journey!

I am completely happy to practice alone however, I do have a tendency to go up onto my fingertips instead of flat palms and I sometimes wonder if this is ok.  I would do this in almost all poses where I am standing on one leg such as half moon and revolving half moon.  Some poses just feel better this way but maybe it's not a good idea to keep practicing this way.  

Thank you in advance!

I can't really think of a reason why this wouldn't be ok. In fact, I believe that going on the fingertips is a great way to engage the whole upper body when in poses like half moon because when you place the whole palm down, the tendency is to droop and put all the weight into that hand, whereas if you lift onto the fingertips the whole arm comes alive and there's move of a lift - a line of energy from fingertips through fingertips. I wrote a post on it here called Using the Hands like Straws.