Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
blueswampmusic

Consistent Hamstring Cramp

5 posts in this topic

I am fairly new to yoga but I have been doing it almost daily for the last 8 months. For some reason I have a hamstring cramp that is consistently recurring. I drink only water (well and cofffee ) but I stretch too much to continue to have this problem. I have been to massage therapy as well on multiple occasions. It mostly happens when I bend my left leg backwards towards my head, like a scorpion pose. I do not get cramps anywhere else. If anyone has any ideas, I am all ears and appreciate the feedback. Thanks!

YogaByCandace likes this

This actually happens to me too sometimes. I've been trying to pay attention to it lately and it seems like it happens when I'm not properly breathing. Like I catch myself holding my breath and then BAM the cramp comes. Check in with your breathing and see if maybe that has something to do with it.

Have you tried using a foam roller? What about rolling it out with a tennis ball? The tennis ball can be painful, but it does work!

The only other solution I can think of is spending more time at the beginning of your practice doing easier poses (for you) that focus on your hamstrings.

I, too, am plagued with hamstring cramps in my practice. I notice mine especially in bridge pose, and even more if one leg is raised. A physical therapist suggested I was not properly engaging my glutes and emphasizing my hamstrings. I do notice that if I consciously engage my core prior to lifting my torso, it does make a difference.

What I notice about poses that bend my legs backwards is that I can "reload" and it may be better, i.e., unbend and rebend several times. For me, sometimes that's all it takes to get the muscle to allow the pose to engage.

Try some electrolytes such as magnesium chloride(slo mag). Additionally try to use the core to assist with the leg lift rather than the Hamid.