beth

Quick, Healthy Dinner Ideas?

13 posts in this topic

There are five of us in our family, and two of the kiddos are incredibly picky due to autism. Everyone eats at different times (husband works nights, I work days, kids eat early.) I've given up on big family meals around the table - for the time being. I've recently lost 15 pounds, and I'm on track during the day at work - but I get home, I'm tired, and by the time it's my turn to eat - uninspired. 

I'd appreciate any quick and healthy dinner inspo! Thanks!

Hi Beth!

I've got a few quick and healthy recipes that you might like. The first one is a copycat version of PF Chang's chicken lettuce wraps (http://damndelicious.net/2014/05/30/pf-changs-chicken-lettuce-wraps/). There isn't a lot of cutting and chopping prep; you basically throw everything together and you've got a delicious meal in less than 20 minutes!

I love a good baked chicken and this easy lime chicken recipe (http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/easy-lime-chicken/) is great served with rice (white or brown, whichever you prefer) and veggies. The only things I changed to this recipe was add 1 tbsp. of brown sugar for a touch of sweetness and I added lemon juice since I didn't have enough lime juice.

The last one is a creamy caprese quinoa bake (http://www.halfbakedharvest.com/creamy-caprese-quinoa-bake/). I'm sure you could replace the heavy cream with plain Greek yogurt if you wanted to make it even healthier.

I hope this helps! =)

beth likes this

Do you ever visit skinnytaste? I am the hugest fan of her blog--I would estimate that I cook from it 5x/week on average, lol! A lot of her recipes are super quick and easy. Also, now that it's getting chilly, I've been busting out my crockpot a couple of times a week. Can't beat coming home and having dinner basically ready to go!

Hi both! Thank you for your replies! Meugenio, I am now starving! And allieoxenfree - YES, thank you - I always forget about skinnytaste... and my slow cooker!!

Yay!

Meugenio likes this

Congrats on the weight loss, Beth!

What helps me is prepping big batches of healthy meals on the weekends, that I can grab and heat up during busy weekdays for lunch or in the evening, when I am way too spent to even think of cooking.

I usually do some sort of stir fry full of veggies and spices, or a lentil & quinoa dish with additions based on what I am craving (I might do a Thai, Italian or Mexican inspired one).

YogaByCandace, Turi and beth like this

Congrats on the weight loss, Beth!

What helps me is prepping big batches of healthy meals on the weekends, that I can grab and heat up during busy weekdays for lunch or in the evening, when I am way too spent to even think of cooking.

I usually do some sort of stir fry full of veggies and spices, or a lentil & quinoa dish with additions based on what I am craving (I might do a Thai, Italian or Mexican inspired one).

Thanks angieeatspeace! I decided to try doing just that this weekend. I made a simple tomato sauce for the week to use as a base for soups or with eggs, and a sort of veggie stew with garbanzos for protein. I portioned everything out for the week, and I just have to cook up some quinoa or brown rice at home if I want to add it. I didn't think to cook some quinoa ahead of time. Thanks for the suggestions! A stir fry sounds yummy right now!

Thanks angieeatspeace! I decided to try doing just that this weekend. I made a simple tomato sauce for the week to use as a base for soups or with eggs, and a sort of veggie stew with garbanzos for protein. I portioned everything out for the week, and I just have to cook up some quinoa or brown rice at home if I want to add it. I didn't think to cook some quinoa ahead of time. Thanks for the suggestions! A stir fry sounds yummy right now!

I am so glad this worked out! Hope it makes your week run smoother.

beth likes this

I totally agree with angieeatspeace. I try to batch cook on a Sunday afternoon and then freeze portions (stews, casseroles etc).and then for the most part during the week, I just grab something from the freezer the night before and then just do rice and veg. I particularly like turkey chilli with sweet potato and kale as that just needs sautéed veg with it so only takes 5 mins! Stir frys are good too and I also like tray bakes (virtually no washing up!). I do chicken stuffed with grated courgette, sun dried tomatoes and a little cheddar, baked with peppers, courgette, onion etc. last night I did a tray bake with cod wrapped in a slice of Parma ham with some breadcrumbs mixed with Parmesan and parsley on top. I'm planning to get a slow cooker this winter so would love any tips and recipes if you have any.

beth likes this

A good one I came up with last night...

Add all of this to a tupperware container and shake:

• Spinach - hand full
  • Sprouts - hand full
  • Tuna - 1 can
  • Blue Cheese - just a few crumbles
  • Balsamic Vinaigrette - to taste

Then, heat up some corn tortillas and you've got some pretty good tacos. 

dianeteresa, beth and YogaByCandace like this

So this isn't really a recipe but I do have a really quick and easy dinner that I'll do when its just me.  I heat up a bag of frozen veggies (usually one of those steamer bags), add protein like some beans or canned tuna, add some sauce (my favs are a scoop of tomato sauce or a few squirts of soy sauce and sriracha), and stir it all up in a bowl and eat.  This isn't fancy but it is quick, filling, and pretty healthy.  

beth and YogaByCandace like this

Thanks everyone! I'm hungry now! :)

I ended up cooking more than I needed for last week, so threw the extra sauce and "stew" in the freezer for future use. So handy!

Meugenio and Turi like this

How much prep and cooking time do you consider as "quick"?

andiphant - that sweet potato mash looks great, and that's so great you found a compromise for the kids to both love.  Do you have tips to make the prep faster with the peeling of four pounds of carrots and sweet potatoes?  

I just made a carrot ginger soup last week that entailed 2 pounds of carrots and 2 onions, and that prep alone took at least 30 minutes. I peeled while watching TV, so I didn't mind (so maybe up to an hour while multi-tasking).  I discovered starting with about 2.5 pounds of unpeeled carrots will yield 2 pounds trimmed and peeled carrots at the end.  

I also tried to skip peeling carrots once while making a stew and scrubbed the outside. I figured the blender would hide the skin.  But the stew turned bitter, so I think peeling is still key.