YogaByCandace

31 Day Strength Project!

126 posts in this topic

Oh nothing, just me here, prepping tomorrow's post where I'll announce the January project. This is the space for questions, support, motivation and chit chat about the project. 

Stay tuned - it'll be announced tomorrow afternoon and I'll come back and edit this post with more details.  :27:

It's ready, friends! Introducing the 31 days STRENGTH project:24:

It starts this week, January 1st, 2015. Who's in?!  :18:

This is the space for questions, support motivation and chit chat about the project.

...Need to figure out how to change the title of this forum. #bloggerprobs #nottechie #wheresmrballoonhands

Laura, Reggi, Meugenio and 7 others like this

Me I'm in..

Now what pose to work on.....

Do I work on crow pose which I can hold but only for a few seconds or do I try a new pose like baby grasshopper?

I can do a supported headstand or forearm stand but still need the support of the wall.. Decision decision any advice welcome..

I am so excited to try this. I have been looking for an excuse to perfect a handstand and this is it!

Yay, great choice!

can't wait...i wonder what pose i want to work on

Let us know! Happy you'll be joining in!

Hurray! I'm in!!!  :18: 

Not sure about the pose yet. I'll try some these days and choose...

Let us know what you decide! Happy to have you on board!

Definitely in! Now to choose what to focus on....perhaps forearm stand... :)

That's a great one!

Of course I'm in! And I think I've already chosen my pose, even if it scares me a little: crow pose…  :unsure::o

Yay! Do what scares you!  :7: That's where the magic happens  :27:

Sooo cool! Please count me in, I will work on crow pose

Yay! Glad to have you join in! Crow is a great choice!

Me I'm in..

Now what pose to work on.....

Do I work on crow pose which I can hold but only for a few seconds or do I try a new pose like baby grasshopper?

I can do a supported headstand or forearm stand but still need the support of the wall.. Decision decision any advice welcome..

Oo quite a decision you have! They'll likely all benefit from the consistent practice, so really it's just a matter of which one to focus on. Or maybe you choose them all and see how they improve over time?

Yogabliss, Laura and Reggi like this

I'm definitely in!

I'm wondering whether I should try for grasshopper pose. I can hold baby grasshopper for a few seconds, so clearly that needs work as well. Do you think it would be plausible to start with baby grasshopper and over the course of the 31 days try for full grasshopper and see if I make it?

I just joined the forum for the sole purpose of participating in this challenge, so I guess that means I'm in! I think the pose I'm going to work on is handstand.

I've seen lots of challenges that I've wanted to do, but I'm never sure how to participate, so I end up pooping out. The problem is that I'm not sure how to actually participate. I've been practicing on and off for many years, but I've maintained a very regular practice for about 2 1/2 years now. I've been practicing at home lately but I usually use dvd's and right now I have a udaya subscription, so I don't know how to incorporate the challenge into my practice. Do I just do my regular practice and then work on my handstand just before savasana?

Thanks so much! And so excited to be here!

I'm definitely in!

I'm wondering whether I should try for grasshopper pose. I can hold baby grasshopper for a few seconds, so clearly that needs work as well. Do you think it would be plausible to start with baby grasshopper and over the course of the 31 days try for full grasshopper and see if I make it?

I think so! Grasshopper is not only strength in the upper body and core but a lot of flexibility in the hips and torso, so pay close attention to that when you practice. 

Count me in again! Great theme! I'm excited. Have to think about which pose I'll take... Maybe head- or handstand?!?

Great picks!

I just joined the forum for the sole purpose of participating in this challenge, so I guess that means I'm in! I think the pose I'm going to work on is handstand.

I've seen lots of challenges that I've wanted to do, but I'm never sure how to participate, so I end up pooping out. The problem is that I'm not sure how to actually participate. I've been practicing on and off for many years, but I've maintained a very regular practice for about 2 1/2 years now. I've been practicing at home lately but I usually use dvd's and right now I have a udaya subscription, so I don't know how to incorporate the challenge into my practice. Do I just do my regular practice and then work on my handstand just before savasana?

Thanks so much! And so excited to be here!

Hi! Welcome! I'm going to have a suggested schedule every week that will give links to various videos and sequences for each day of the week (with some rest days!). It also tells you exactly what to do and when to do it when it comes to practicing your chosen pose. It's your choice to either pick and choose a few links from the schedule, follow all of it, or do your own thing. My suggestion would be to take a look at the schedule when it comes out (every Thursday) and see how it goes for you, then adjust as needed. Hope that helps to clear things up  :)

Yogabliss, HumbleWarrior and Reggi like this

I think so! Grasshopper is not only strength in the upper body and core but a lot of flexibility in the hips and torso, so pay close attention to that when you practice. 

Thanks Candace :) My upper body strength as well as hip flexibility both need some work, but I think I'm up to it  :28:

Hi! My name is Jessie and i am a newbie here.  I have been practicing yoga with varying regularity for about a year and a half.  i would love to work on the baby grasshopper but i have never done any of these strength poses but I am up for the challenge!  Any tips to get started?  i am going to watch your video on that pose to start off.  Looking forward to January!

I found this challenge on pinterest this morning and I just signed up here so I could join in. I had already made crow pose my New Year's Yoga Pose Resolution (that's a bit of a mouthful). I definitely need to improve my upper body strength, since any arm balances that require hands instead of forearms on the floor are currently one of my biggest challenges. I'm hoping that this challenge will help my baby crow grow up into a real, grown-up crow!

I am in....I enjoyed the last challenge. I'm not sure what pose I want to do. I've been working myself up to headstand (adding dolphin pose in my flows to improve my strength). I haven't graduated beyond dolphin pose..

I've also played around with crow pose.

I'm still debating..... but I'm leaning towards headstand because I think that would be easier to work towards in 30 days.....

:5:

Looking forward to this challenge :D

I'm in. I really want to work on side crow. That pose is super difficult for me and this should be fun working on it.

Side crow is great! You'll want to think about torso rotation and hip flexibility, so just keep that in the back of your head and if you feel like you're not getting enough or either let me know and I'll point you in the right direction.  :54:

Hi! My name is Jessie and i am a newbie here.  I have been practicing yoga with varying regularity for about a year and a half.  i would love to work on the baby grasshopper but i have never done any of these strength poses but I am up for the challenge!  Any tips to get started?  i am going to watch your video on that pose to start off.  Looking forward to January!

Hi Jessie! Welcome! Baby grasshopper is a great choice! I will be putting up a suggested schedule for the week on Thursday, the first day of the project (and every Thursday after that), so check out that schedule and see how you do with that. If you're breezing through it, great. If you need to back off, just take a few things. Keep us updated here and feel free to ask questions and get support when needed!  :)

I found this challenge on pinterest this morning and I just signed up here so I could join in. I had already made crow pose my New Year's Yoga Pose Resolution (that's a bit of a mouthful). I definitely need to improve my upper body strength, since any arm balances that require hands instead of forearms on the floor are currently one of my biggest challenges. I'm hoping that this challenge will help my baby crow grow up into a real, grown-up crow!

Well how perfect is that!? Awesome! Welcome! To be totally honest, I find baby crow to be so much more challenging than regular crow so maybe you will be pleasantly surprised! Either way, I'm happy to welcome you here and hope you love this project!

Hello! I've just joined for this challenge, thank you for having me. I'll download Instagram tomorrow when I've got wifi, but I'm a bit nervous about that portion. Is it really ok if I don't pose a picture of myself in the pose? (I don't have anyone to take a picture of me anyway.) Also, headstand has been my dream goal in general, but I'm not strong enough yet, though I've been working on it both on the mat and at the gym. I have no sense how long it will take to get there. Would it be ok if I just ended up in dolphin the whole month, or would it be better to pick an easier pose? Thank you for organizing this challenge, I'm really quite excited to find a new community to help me achieve the strength building goal I already set for myself.

Hello! I've just joined for this challenge, thank you for having me. I'll download Instagram tomorrow when I've got wifi, but I'm a bit nervous about that portion. Is it really ok if I don't pose a picture of myself in the pose? (I don't have anyone to take a picture of me anyway.) Also, headstand has been my dream goal in general, but I'm not strong enough yet, though I've been working on it both on the mat and at the gym. I have no sense how long it will take to get there. Would it be ok if I just ended up in dolphin the whole month, or would it be better to pick an easier pose? Thank you for organizing this challenge, I'm really quite excited to find a new community to help me achieve the strength building goal I already set for myself.

Welcome! Happy to have you! It's totally ok to not do the instagram portion if you don't want to! Whatever you feel most comfortable with. It's hard for me to say how quickly or slowly headstand will come for you without seeing your practice, but if you've been practicing it already then it is probably a fine choice for the project. Yoga is about knowing ourselves, our capabilities, being open to new things, and open to possibilities - so trust yourself that you'll be able to listen to your body and change the plan as needed.  :)

:18: Count me in! Hmmmm, not sure on my pose. I think it might be forearm stand. I really need to work on that one!

That's a great choice!