YogaByCandace

31 Day Strength Project!

126 posts in this topic

How exciting a new challenge! I was super bummed that I fell behind on the flexibility challenge.  I got married in November and planning just took over.  New Year's Resolutions - be more positive and become more committed to my yoga practice.  My pose will be baby grasshopper.  Can't wait! :24:

I'm so excited about this project! I'm pretty new to YBC, but I love your videos and tips. I've been working on headstand lately, but I cannot seem to get it! I'm thinking about tackling headstand or maybe trying a new strength pose. Any suggestions? I'm not a complete beginner, but I'm not a pro either!  

This challenge sounds like so much fun I had join the forum. I'm in. Though at the moment my crow pose has a very blink-and-you'll-miss-it quality I'd rather not obsess about it and let it come to me in the (hopefully not too distant) future. I'd like to start the challenge with a clean slate and see how far I can go with grasshopper.

I don't have an Instagram account, so I might be doing most of my check-in here.

How exciting a new challenge! I was super bummed that I fell behind on the flexibility challenge.  I got married in November and planning just took over.  New Year's Resolutions - be more positive and become more committed to my yoga practice.  My pose will be baby grasshopper.  Can't wait! :24:

Aw, yeah don't be too hard on yourself - 2015 is here and now you can focus on baby grasshopper! Great pick!

I'm so excited about this project! I'm pretty new to YBC, but I love your videos and tips. I've been working on headstand lately, but I cannot seem to get it! I'm thinking about tackling headstand or maybe trying a new strength pose. Any suggestions? I'm not a complete beginner, but I'm not a pro either!  

I would maybe stick with headstand since you can't seem to get it (yet!). By the end of the 31 days you might be floating up without a problem!

This challenge sounds like so much fun I had join the forum. I'm in. Though at the moment my crow pose has a very blink-and-you'll-miss-it quality I'd rather not obsess about it and let it come to me in the (hopefully not too distant) future. I'd like to start the challenge with a clean slate and see how far I can go with grasshopper.

I don't have an Instagram account, so I might be doing most of my check-in here.

Haha, I love how you put that about your crow pose!  :3: Don't worry though, that's how mine started out too! Grasshopper is a great pick! Looking forward to seeing your check-ins here and hearing how the program is going for you!

The baby grasshopper looks intense :21:, but I am totally going to make it my challenge pose! 

Give it a try first because you might surprise yourself :23: and already be able to do it - I really think it's one of those poses that looks much more crazy than it is. My tip would be to watch the video rather than just going from the diagram because there are a couple key things to remember.  :54:

KimK, Mana and Gigi like this

I'm very excited about this challenge - I have 2 of my yoga buddies doing it with me this afternoon! Candace, thanks so much for all the work you put into this - it's so well organized and fun, it's sure to be a success. Love the suggested workouts! I MAY go out of my little comfort zone and try the grasshopper - I tried it the other day when you posted directions and was SHOCKED I could do it (it wasn't pretty btw, lol) on my left side!! But may just stick in my comfort zone :5: . I will ponder this idea till I meet w/ my friends.... :unsure:

Initially, I was going to do supported headstand because I find the pose fun, but then I realized I should probably try a pose I consistently avoid lol.

So baby grasshopper it is...Idk why I find it more challenging than crow or supported headstand, but it's definitely a struggle for me

Good luck everyone

Hi all! I've completed day #1 of this challenge and I've started to work on my crow pose, in front of a wall at the moment, to deal with my worries of falling forward and break my face :unsure: 

I was surprised because I could handle the pose for about 1-2 seconds! I know, it's very little, but it's a  big achievement for me  :lol:

Now I know I surely need to build strength (my weak point), but what I have to work on the most is my fear!

Day one is a wrap!  Felt a little wibbly wobbly, but stronger.

I recently added a running regimen before my practice and the extra adrenaline gives me that extra boost.

I did manage to get into the baby grasshopper position, but that's about all, but it is a start. 

Good luck everyone!

Mana and YogaByCandace like this

I'm very excited about this challenge - I have 2 of my yoga buddies doing it with me this afternoon! Candace, thanks so much for all the work you put into this - it's so well organized and fun, it's sure to be a success. Love the suggested workouts! I MAY go out of my little comfort zone and try the grasshopper - I tried it the other day when you posted directions and was SHOCKED I could do it (it wasn't pretty btw, lol) on my left side!! But may just stick in my comfort zone :5: . I will ponder this idea till I meet w/ my friends.... :unsure:

Thanks so much for the feedback!! I'm so excited you're doing it with friends! Will you post a pic somewhere? That is so awesome!

Initially, I was going to do supported headstand because I find the pose fun, but then I realized I should probably try a pose I consistently avoid lol.

So baby grasshopper it is...Idk why I find it more challenging than crow or supported headstand, but it's definitely a struggle for me

Good luck everyone

Yeah!!! Good for you for getting out of your comfort zone!!! It def isn't the MOST fun thing (woof, you should've seen me filming my first-ever vlog this morning!!! So awful! But it does feel good to challenge myself to do something I avoid.  :)

One of my goals for 2015 was to work on baby grasshopper, so I'm excited to kick off the new year by working on it right away!

Good luck everyone!

Yay! Great pick!

So first day completed. I've decided that I'm going to challenge myself and work on baby grasshopper (I couldn't even lift myself!) but also try and improve my crow pose..

Awesome! Great choices!

Hi all! I've completed day #1 of this challenge and I've started to work on my crow pose, in front of a wall at the moment, to deal with my worries of falling forward and break my face :unsure:

I was surprised because I could handle the pose for about 1-2 seconds! I know, it's very little, but it's a  big achievement for me  :lol:

Now I know I surely need to build strength (my weak point), but what I have to work on the most is my fear!

1-2 sec is more than 0 seconds, and we all have to start somewhere! Good for you!! 

Laura likes this

Hurray, it's a Day 1! And I'm in such a great company here! :)
I picked a baby grasshopper pose (it's the most popular here  :D ), and today it was "blink-and-you'll-miss-it quality", like Hildegard said  :D . But I could lift my...mmm... bottom off the ground, so feel excited now!
Good luck everyone! 

Gigi, Laura, Hildegard and 1 other like this

Hello everyone!

Day one. I've decided to do forearm headstand.

I watched your video Candace, for the 10th time... ;)

I just completed the suggested workout sequence. I REALLY need to work on my core strength/balance.....sheesh!

But I'm feeling pretty good about it. My lift off was quite smooth, I just have to work on my core to keep my legs upright. My feet continuously bounced off the wall. haha

My initial picture will be posted soon.

I wish everyone well with their project. :54:

I had to join for this challenge! It will be very interesting... I was also thinking baby grasshopper, but I cannot get my butt off the ground at all! So I'll work on that, and also work on strengthening my crow pose. I cleared a section of my living room to have my mat down all the time, and I think I'll be able to get some photos as well.

So I chose grasshopper as my challenge pose, did the exercises suggested in the schedule, only to realise at the last moment I had absolutely no idea how to get into grasshopper. Cue some googling and some very flawed attempts at getting into the pose. I now have a vague idea of how to get there, though it feels like my short arms won't be very helpful here. Oops. I wish there was a way to go from baby grasshopper into full, adult, tax paying grasshopper somehow. Some sites suggested going into side crow, which I'd beyond me st the moment. Double oops.

After many attempts (was told that the app wasn't available in my country, ended up logging in to an account I was sure I'd deleted, etc) I managed to get back on Instagram for the check-in. I'm missritalynn over there.

So far, lots of fun. I'll probably stick to the suggested schedule, though I might try to eventually combine it with my usual daily practice. Only time will tell.

First day :D Posted on instagram my attempt at baby grasshopper.  I was lucky to be able to get up before my timer went off on my camera and it took me about 5 - 10 minutes of trying to get up to succeed, and how rewarding it was.  I did notice that when I finally get up I end up rotating my foot back to facing the front of the mat.  Day 1 and feeling good :28: <----I just wanted to use that smiley it seemed to fit.

I couldn't manage to get a photo of myself last night as I couldn't get the phone to angle down on me, I'm going to try again today and upload it. I did some hip openers yesterday, though I get the feeling I need to do a lot of work if I'm going to be getting into full grasshopper by the end.

Every time I think of this challenge I have the "Eye of the Tiger" music stuck in my head << like now  :lol:

Day 1, done. I made it through the suggested workout and then spent a half hour scrolling through pinterest to find a million graphic and articles to print so I could find as many pointers as possible for making my crow fly. :) I've got some work to do!

YogaByCandace, Mana, Gigi and 3 others like this

Hello all! This new year is starting off wonderfully, and I'm pumped to see my yoga practice improve. I chose to work on 3-legged dog, mostly because I need to work on core/back strength, and I have problems with my hips, so I feel that it's a pretty well-rounded choice to cover all those areas! I will be posting my "before" pose on insta and on my profile here as well. I have never participated in a challenge that had as much support as this one does! It scares me a little, and makes me want to be shy, but hopefully I can make the most of it. Cheers to the new year, and good luck to everyone. 

Hi everyone, I finished my 1st day of the Strength Project after my dog finally decided to share the yoga mat  :3: It was a bit challenging to get back on the mat after a while, but I'm looking forward to making yoga part of my daily routine once again. For this project, I would like to work on crow pose. I can get myself off the ground for a split second but I'm putting weight on my arms so I'll be working on that. I'm really excited for this, good luck to everyone and Happy New Year to all!!!

yogagrammy, Hildegard, Gigi and 4 others like this

So I chose grasshopper as my challenge pose, did the exercises suggested in the schedule, only to realise at the last moment I had absolutely no idea how to get into grasshopper. Cue some googling and some very flawed attempts at getting into the pose. I now have a vague idea of how to get there, though it feels like my short arms won't be very helpful here. Oops. I wish there was a way to go from baby grasshopper into full, adult, tax paying grasshopper somehow. Some sites suggested going into side crow, which I'd beyond me st the moment. Double oops.

After many attempts (was told that the app wasn't available in my country, ended up logging in to an account I was sure I'd deleted, etc) I managed to get back on Instagram for the check-in. I'm missritalynn over there.

So far, lots of fun. I'll probably stick to the suggested schedule, though I might try to eventually combine it with my usual daily practice. Only time will tell.

I'm going to break down grasshopper pose for next week because I have seen some other people say they can't find how to get into it so hopefully that will help. Stay tuned! :)