YogaByCandace

31 Day Strength Project!

126 posts in this topic

Day two... modified to account for my fave vinyasa class I go to on Friday mornings, but there were a lot of chatarunga pushups, so I think I got my strength work in! Bonus, that there was a couple of crow poses scattered in there. Still have a long way to go, but the month is just getting started! :)

I'm going to break down grasshopper pose for next week because I have seen some other people say they can't find how to get into it so hopefully that will help. Stay tuned! :)

Yay! I'm so grateful for all the obvious effort you've put into this challenge. I truly appreciate it. Thank you :)

No yoga for me today as I woke up with the worst case of food poisoning I can remember and I'm only now (at 9pm) starting to think food is not my enemy. Oh, well. I'm not sure if I'll be up to practicing tomorrow, but I'll try to come up with a suitable alternative.

YogaByCandace likes this

Hi Candace and everyone,

I did the flexibility challenge over the last couple of months and I am going to stick with nailing the splits.

I am determined to own the pose in it's full glory!

Started today (better late than never) ... after a little festive break, feels so great to get my body yogic again.

Here's to nailing our goals!

xo  B) xo

Yay! I'm so grateful for all the obvious effort you've put into this challenge. I truly appreciate it. Thank you :)

No yoga for me today as I woke up with the worst case of food poisoning I can remember and I'm only now (at 9pm) starting to think food is not my enemy. Oh, well. I'm not sure if I'll be up to practicing tomorrow, but I'll try to come up with a suitable alternative.

Oh noooo, sorry to hear that! :( Take a well-deserved break for a day or two (maybe three?!) and just let yourself recover. xo

Hildegard and Yogabliss like this

Hi! I've just completed my day#3 practice and I feel great :-)

I'm working of my crow pose always using my friend wall: I've tried to focus on my core and ribs muscles and I could hold the pose for a few seconds, but I still have the awful sensation of falling forward, maybe is there anything wrong in what I do?

Thank you so much Candace for this challenge! I should never tried crow pose without this project  :)

Hi! I've just completed my day#3 practice and I feel great :-)

I'm working of my crow pose always using my friend wall: I've tried to focus on my core and ribs muscles and I could hold the pose for a few seconds, but I still have the awful sensation of falling forward, maybe is there anything wrong in what I do?

Thank you so much Candace for this challenge! I should never tried crow pose without this project  :)

I think the key of not feeling like you will fall forward is making sure you are looking at the ground, but out in front of you. So, not straight down between your hands. Hope that helps! Keep up the great work!

Laura likes this

Thanks for this challenge! Due to being sick at the last day of the old year and the first one of the new one, I'm one day behind, but that's hardly what matters.

One of my aims for 2015 was to manage a forearm headstand, and thanks to your challenge I see that happening in January!

Whoo!!!! I made it to my mat 2 out of three days so far this year. :lol:  Worked on my grasshopper yesterday and was able to hold it for 1 breath longer each time I got into it, by the end of the night I was at 3 long breaths, tonight, we shoot for 6. I'm super excited to get to work on it again once my little yogi goes to bed, it's a fun pose and makes me feel powerful.

I made an instagram so I can participate more, I don't know how I'm going to get shots of me in my babygrasshopper yet but where there is a will there is a way.

Follow me @the_lavender_yogi  & I'll follow you back B)

**My first attempt at getting in a good practice today was interrupted by my giggly little yogi who actually did a few down dogs & cobras with me before deciding I was her personal jungle gym :P To make up for it I just got done with an hour and 5 minute long practice. I didn't intend for it to be so long but I'm glad I kept going because all the stress from the day is now gone & I may actually be in bed before 10 tonight.  My baby grasshopper is improving but I still need to work on my form.

Edited by MommaSunflower

since the days for this project run a little longer than my normal 20-30 min of yoga, i've decided to use the warm up sequences as means to get in a little cardio

so warm ups may be a little jumping rope or short runs, ive got to get it in somehow and i generally cant split everything up throughout the day

anyone else trying to find balance with non yoga workouts?

I tried so hard to make it to my mat yesterday, but between the baby waking up SUPER early & our roommate staying up in the living room till past 3am, it just didn't happen. I did get the chance to meditate before bed though & this morning I worked on my baby grasshopper for 10 min after I powered through 3 YBC videos. Since I didn't get to work on my baby grass hopper yesterday, I am making it my intention to get back on my mat at least once more today to work on it some more. :D

YogaByCandace and Yogabliss like this

How does everybody get their yoga pose 'selfies'?

I'd like to take photos of my baby grasshopper to track my progress but have no clue how I will do it I don't have a front camera or a timer on my phone :(

I did a post during our November project with some tips for taking yoga photos. What I usually do is set up the video function, then record myself getting into the pose and then I take a screenshot and put that on instagram. If the photo is too big for instagram you can use an app like 'square ready' which condenses the photo to fit in the little instagram square :)

Yogabliss and TheLavenderYogi like this

since the days for this project run a little longer than my normal 20-30 min of yoga, i've decided to use the warm up sequences as means to get in a little cardio

so warm ups may be a little jumping rope or short runs, ive got to get it in somehow and i generally cant split everything up throughout the day

anyone else trying to find balance with non yoga workouts?

Meeee. I am always trying to find a good balance. Jump rope cardio has been my thing lately tho, and I am la-la-loving it. Still getting to the gym quite often to lift weights, and then I always save about 30 mins or so at the end for some yoga for strength and try to dedicate an extra 10 minutes or so for what I'm working on (handstands and tick tocks). Today was an active rest day for me. Filmed an hour long custom yoga dvd for a hockey goalie - gahhh, so much groin/hip stuff going on. #holyuncomfortable #ouchthesplits 

Mana, femmefatalekris and Yogabliss like this

I have unexpected journey to my native land, and there's so many meetings and events here (and practically no internet connections), so it's really hard to get to the mat (and no mat here too). So I try to do what I can, some warm ups, or sun salutation (it's what I'm sure about how to do right), and some attempts to do baby grasshopper. Think it's much better than nothing, till I come back home this Sunday :-).

YogaByCandace and Yogabliss like this

Hi everybody, Im feeling super sad since I have been sick with an aweful cold and have not been able to practice , I know i have fallen behind but getting back to my regular practice has been challenging since my body is still memding, having problems with breathing and a runny nose while trying to focus is hard , but will take it slowly and try yo eventually catch up .

Good job everybody Its so exciting to see all the great pics ,

I have unexpected journey to my native land, and there's so many meetings and events here (and practically no internet connections), so it's really hard to get to the mat (and no mat here too). So I try to do what I can, some warm ups, or sun salutation (it's what I'm sure about how to do right), and some attempts to do baby grasshopper. Think it's much better than nothing, till I come back home this Sunday :-).

Hang in there and enjoy your trip

Yogabliss, Mana and YogaByCandace like this

After not being able to practice due to sudden illness on Friday, and doing a very gentle restorative practice during the weekend, I'm back on track with the challenge. I'm still a bit wobbly, but I managed to follow the suggested schedule for day 2.

The days off served their purpose, aside from the obvious. Since I couldn't practice like I usually would I focused on studying the more challenging poses instead and finally, finally, figured out why I had such a hard trouble with crow pose: I was opening my hips too much, so that my shins were almost perpendicular on my upper arms rather than parallel. Tried the new approach today and it felt so much easier and natural.

Looking forward to what tomorrow's practice will bring.

Just did today's workout. Loved the 30 minute power yoga -- though, today I seemed to be having a bad case of the Weeble Wobbles and had the damndest time controlling my balance. Oh well! That's what makes it an adventure. Apparently, there's still a fair bit of animosity between crow and myself.... the journey continues.....

Hi everybody, Im feeling super sad since I have been sick with an aweful cold and have not been able to practice , I know i have fallen behind but getting back to my regular practice has been challenging since my body is still memding, having problems with breathing and a runny nose while trying to focus is hard , but will take it slowly and try yo eventually catch up .

Good job everybody Its so exciting to see all the great pics ,

I don't want you to be supper sad. I want you to feel better so I took the liberty of posting a great remedy in "Favorite Tea" section. Try it. It'll cure what's ailing ya.

Yogabliss, YogaByCandace and Mana like this