YogaByCandace

31 Day Strength Project!

126 posts in this topic

Got on my mat this morning for over an hour again and I feel great  My right side needs more work in my babygrasshopper by my left side is starting to look & feel really good. :24:

I love that this strength challenge pushes me to come to my mat each morning & find my edge. I'm remembering all the reasons why I fell in love with yoga in the first place and why it was such a big part of my daily life. So far this challenge has taught me not to assume which side is my stronger side, turns out my dominant side is actually the side that needs more work in baby grasshopper.

Yesterday afternoon I strapped my mini yogi on my chest for some fun babywearing yoga. We had a blast and I learned that tree pose is very fun, yet extremely challenging with a moving 20lb weight strapped to your chest but I held each side for 5 long breaths. The sequence ended up putting her to sleep and I got to work on my baby grasshopper again

KimK, Jasmine, mimisouth and 4 others like this

Babywearing yoga - that's adorable!!

Unfortunately I'm still suffering through a hot Australian heatwave, so I'm only making it through 1/2-3/4 of the daily recommended videos, but I'm consistently taking time out each day to work on my grasshopper pose and I feel I'm making progress. I need to work on my arm strength, as well as hip flexibility.

I'm a little late to the party, but I'm here working on headstand! I've been traveling since 12/21 (sheesh) and am heading home tomorrow, so my practice has been wonky but pretty consistent! I am working into headstand by lifting just my hips, then getting legs off the ground a few inches with knees bent, then gradually working to get them straight. I have actually improved a TON this week, so yay! And WOW does this pose work my core!!

Hi all, how is it going your strengthening program? I'm still very far from my crow pose, my arms tremble a lot, I don't feel safe and I can barely lift my feet from the floor. I'm focusing on some other poses to build strength in my arms and core in these days: baby grasshopper and chaturanga dandasana. I can hold'em for a few breaths!  Hum... a very small accomplishment, but I feel already stronger than ten days ago :)
One of my goals for this challenge and upcoming weeks is to rise up from floor to high plank. It seems sooooooo easy when I watch at Candace's videos, for me it's something nearly inconceivable at this moment. But I'll can do it, some day  ;)

Hi all, how is it going your strengthening program? I'm still very far from my crow pose, my arms tremble a lot, I don't feel safe and I can barely lift my feet from the floor. I'm focusing on some other poses to build strength in my arms and core in these days: baby grasshopper and chaturanga dandasana. I can hold'em for a few breaths!  Hum... a very small accomplishment, but I feel already stronger than ten days ago :)
One of my goals for this challenge and upcoming weeks is to rise up from floor to high plank. It seems sooooooo easy when I watch at Candace's videos, for me it's something nearly inconceivable at this moment. But I'll can do it, some day  ;)

Sounds like you are doing great! I, too, am surprised by how much I've improved in 11 days. I think part of it is that I've chosen a part strength, part balance posture (headstand), so the balance is coming along quickly.

I'll be honest--I have a pretty strong upper body, can easily do chaturanga, even 10-15 pushups, and I STILL have a very tough time rising up into high plank with a flat back. That is a tough one for me!! :) :)

Mana, Yogabliss, Laura and 4 others like this

I'm getting nervous! My chosen pose is full grasshopper and I feel I have the arm/core strength and balance to get up there, but my hips are going to need a bit of work. I did Candace's new video for tight hips last night and am thinking to incorporate that one in every couple of days. 

Sounds like you are doing great! I, too, am surprised by how much I've improved in 11 days. I think part of it is that I've chosen a part strength, part balance posture (headstand), so the balance is coming along quickly.

I'll be honest--I have a pretty strong upper body, can easily do chaturanga, even 10-15 pushups, and I STILL have a very tough time rising up into high plank with a flat back. That is a tough one for me!! :) :)

Thanks and congrats!

Upper body strength is my main weak point, it will be a very very long journey for me, then :lol:

Yogabliss and YogaByCandace like this

(...) One of my goals for this challenge and upcoming weeks is to rise up from floor to high plank. It seems sooooooo easy when I watch at Candace's videos, for me it's something nearly inconceivable at this moment. But I'll can do it, some day  ;)

That's one of my long term goals as well. Very long term :)

Started my second week of the challenge yesterday and I definitely feel the progress I've made. My crow pose is getting more solid, though for some reason now I tend to fall to my right side rather than flat on my face. My grasshopper pose is getting there. I can't lift my legs just yet, though I realised that part of the problem is that I'm afraid of falling over because I don't have enough upper body strength.

Yogabliss, Laura and YogaByCandace like this

Loving this project... My baby grasshopper has improved and I'm able to hold the pose for a couple of breaths. I still don't have the strength to push myself up and still need the block but hey only second week...

Yikes, had a little setback with my headstand! I was practicing away from a wall yesterday, and started to tip forward. In the split second I had to decide what to do, I decided to just roll forward like a somersault... without really thinking about the fact that my hands were bound in front of my head and I was going to roll right over my hands. (I have a bit of modern dance background, and I used to practice inversions a lot, so I am pretty used to rolling down into somersaults.)

Lol, I do NOT recommend that to anyone! I have a knot on my neck where I rolled over my hands, and the worst part was, I totally crushed both of my pinkies! I actually thought I had broken the bottom pinkie because it was SO swollen yesterday, but I splinted it overnight and the swelling went down a lot, and I have almost full range of motion back, thank goodness!

Anyway, do not do what I did, haha! Have a wall there or at the very least, do NOT roll forward!! I'm not really injured, but I am going to take a few days off from interlacing my fingers, since the one pinkie is still a bit swollen/bruised. Maybe I'll work on tripod headstand instead, haha.

I hope your finger is feeling a bit better now allieoxenfree  :o

I feel I'm finally getting somewhere with grasshopper after my obsessive hip opening. I can finally get my foot up above my elbow to rest on my arm!! I only managed to lift up for a second or two and had my other leg tucked and unable to extend it so far... and I also fell on my face.. but something is happening finally at least.

I'm focusing on strength practices right now and am practicing my forearm stand after each practice. I'm able to hold it a little longer each week! I even got into baby grasshopper for the first time also! I better get some pics taken! I've been busy with work (super busy at the hospital!) and a crisis at home (no water, well pump is out!) but am doing more meditation and that helps a lot! I'm loving the progress I've made even if it's very small and can tell that I'm getting stronger!

I can't believe that 2 weeks have already passed.  My sad core strength and even more pitiable upper body strength have both increased substantially during these past 2 weeks and I definitely feel like celebrating.  Rather than choose one pose, I opted for two and practice chaturanga and Utthita hasta padangustasana C daily.  I can also lift my legs MUCH higher.  While chaturanga is definitely my weaker pose, I have seen so much progress in just being able to get into the pose and hold it for longer than a breath.  My progress may seem small, my confidence and personal happiness in my practice have bloomed.  :D 

mimisouth, yogagrammy, KimK and 5 others like this

Today I did forearm headstand unsupported for the first time. See, my home, especially my room, is a bit on the cluttered side, so there are no empty walls for me to practise against. As a result, I've been doing headstand against my bed, as my safety net in case I fall down. Today I found myself in the middle of my mat when time came to do headstand, and I decided to go for it, and it worked!

I think the burst of confidence I got from that carried to the rest of my practise, as I was able to lift my support foot on grasshopper, also for the first time. I did fall each and every single time I lifted myself, but I think I'm getting closer to one day being able to achieve the full pose.

All in all, it was a very rewarding yoga day. I'm so grateful for this challenge, you have no idea.

decided to take my day off  little early so im starting week 3 today

i need someone to explain how i managed to lift my big butt off the ground briefly in astavakrasana...none of this makes sense and i no longer trust my body

it's been lying to me my entire life  <_< 

hope everyone's doing well

I wanted to share that I unexpectedly realized just how much my strength has increased since we started this challenge. I've been working on handstand, which I can only do in front of a wall (although it's light years ahead of where I was pre-challenge), so I didn't think I was getting too much stronger. Well, this evening I was talking to my husband in the kitchen when he got home from work and I was squatting down (kind of like crow, but just before you put your knees on your arms) to stretch the insides of my legs a bit and he turned around and saw me and said, "What are you doing?" So I told him I was stretching out my legs a bit, but that actually there's a yoga pose called Crow that starts out like that, but that I wasn't strong enough to do it. I kind of shifted forward to show him what I meant, by putting my legs onto my arms, but not balancing or anything and when I did it I realized I actually could balance and lift both my legs off the ground! I was like, "Huh...I guess I am strong enough?!?" Which, for me, is a good lesson to keep trying things I think I can't do because if I had been in a class and that pose came up I would've probably skipped it because I thought I wasn't strong enough.

Yogabliss, Mana, KimK and 7 others like this

I wanted to share that I unexpectedly realized just how much my strength has increased since we started this challenge. I've been working on handstand, which I can only do in front of a wall (although it's light years ahead of where I was pre-challenge), so I didn't think I was getting too much stronger. Well, this evening I was talking to my husband in the kitchen when he got home from work and I was squatting down (kind of like crow, but just before you put your knees on your arms) to stretch the insides of my legs a bit and he turned around and saw me and said, "What are you doing?" So I told him I was stretching out my legs a bit, but that actually there's a yoga pose called Crow that starts out like that, but that I wasn't strong enough to do it. I kind of shifted forward to show him what I meant, by putting my legs onto my arms, but not balancing or anything and when I did it I realized I actually could balance and lift both my legs off the ground! I was like, "Huh...I guess I am strong enough?!?" Which, for me, is a good lesson to keep trying things I think I can't do because if I had been in a class and that pose came up I would've probably skipped it because I thought I wasn't strong enough.

LOVE this story! Good for you!!  :13:

HumbleWarrior and Yogabliss like this

Today was one of those weird days when I had a hard time focusing, both mentally and physically. Couldn't find my balance or my strength, let alone my focus. Yesterday I wasn't able to do all of the suggested activities (woke up feeling very tired and emotionally drained from not so nice dreams, had a busy morning ahead) so I had to call it an early rest day, which I wasn't happy with but couldn't be helped.

I'm trying to think of these past few days as an opportunity to practice patience and kindness toward myself. I can only hope that tomorrow will be a better day.

Yogabliss and YogaByCandace like this

Agreed, mimisouth!

AFM, I've had quite a setback with my headstand--I am a little afraid of it now, after I fell, so less wiling to be playful and test my balance. My pinkie is still painful when I put weight on it too, so perhaps I have minorly sprained it after all. Ah well, I have no problem being patient--I've spent nearly thirty years on this planet in an upright position, haha, so there's no rush.

On a more positive note, I did the new arm balances video (love love love!) and actually kind of did grasshopper on both sides! I fell over in, like, half a second, but I got into the pose and felt the feeling of balance. (You know what I mean? Like, you're not actually balanced, but your body is understanding where and how it could be balanced?) So that was fun!!

Mana, Yogabliss, Hildegard and 4 others like this

Agreed, mimisouth!

AFM, I've had quite a setback with my headstand--I am a little afraid of it now, after I fell, so less wiling to be playful and test my balance. My pinkie is still painful when I put weight on it too, so perhaps I have minorly sprained it after all. Ah well, I have no problem being patient--I've spent nearly thirty years on this planet in an upright position, haha, so there's no rush.

On a more positive note, I did the new arm balances video (love love love!) and actually kind of did grasshopper on both sides! I fell over in, like, half a second, but I got into the pose and felt the feeling of balance. (You know what I mean? Like, you're not actually balanced, but your body is understanding where and how it could be balanced?) So that was fun!!

allieoxenfree, I totally understand your feeling of being a little afraid of headstand. I was also super afraid at the beginning and even through the first two weeks of consistently practicing headstand. I was constantly worried that I'd break myself somehow haha. I know it sounds crazy, but I had to find my focus and a way to let go at the same time. I was frustrated at the beginning when I could barely get my feet off the ground. But, when I kept trying to let go of fear and expectation and just focus on my breath, engaging core muscles and pressing into the mat, that's when the real breakthroughs came! And I learned how to fall backwards in a way that felt best for me haha (which happened and happens a lot still!). Keep at it; you got this, girl! =)