Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mmosier71

I Get Excited!

7 posts in this topic

So since having started yoga a little over a month ago, my overall goal is inversions (mostly the forearm stands). I just find them beautiful and challenging. Obviously since then I have discovered many smaller goals along the way (flexibility in hamstrings, hip flexors, chest opening, and others). However before I fully end my practice for the day I always go back to trying to get myself in a forearm stand. Just to get my feet off the ground and upside down just for a second (cause at the moment I can't stabilize for more) just to see what it feels like. I have improved! But what I have found is when I do get myself up there for longer than a second or 2 (after several failed attempts before) I start to lose my focus. I lose focus because I simply get excited! Like OMG YES!!! annnnd then I lose my stability and fall.

Does this happen to anyone else? Losing focus for sheer excitement/amazement at what you've done? Any tips to help with keeping my focus and trying to push that to the side?

Process and Progress not Perfection is great!

Aw I love this post! And it's one of the things I love most about yoga - that it's sort of a mirror to whatever's going on inside. Like if I'm feeling anxious or overly excited, I will fall out of poses easily. If I'm relaxed and calm, I'll be able to hold steady. I would suggest doing a centering - basically just taking three deep breaths to kind of re-group, focusing on calming down and letting go of any thoughts- good or bad - with each exhale. Then give it the forearm stand a try. :)

I know exactly how you feel the first time I got up into wheel pose I screamed for joy and my husband came running to see if I was ok. He just didn't get it when I told him what I had done!

Similar when I got my feet off the ground in crow pose for a microsecond I laughed and lost my concentration and fell on my face.. But the more you practice the stronger you become and the more you concentrate! (I can hold crow for at least 2 seconds now

Thanks for the advice! And I'm glad I'm not the only one who makes my husband come running. LOL After my first crash trying to do the forearms stand he came running cause he thought I'd hurt myself or something fell...well it had (me) lol. 

sadhamstrings likes this

It'll come on its own as you get more used to hovering, so feel free to get excited about your progress because you'll get calmer over time.

I saw someone who was able to achieve her arm balance describe that she felt "intense mental stillness". That's the best way to reflect how I felt too my first time in supported headstand.  Time felt like it froze, and instead of falling over, I finally figured out how to push down with my arms to balance and stayed there for 10-20 seconds.

Good luck! And have fun in the process. My teacher paraphrased a sutra yesterday, "Today you try, and try again, and then you let go of whatever the outcome was."

mmosier71 and sadhamstrings like this

Update: I have been able to kick up into the headstand :D

check me out on instagram @mwall4 

Working on my Crow pose now more so than the headstand (I feel pretty good about it)

I can't seem to get my wrists/hands positioned right in crow. The left hand always seems to kick out to the side and it kills my wrist. Would using a strap help? To keep my elbows in line? (I think that might be my problem)

sadhamstrings likes this

Update: I have been able to kick up into the headstand :D

check me out on instagram @mwall4 

Working on my Crow pose now more so than the headstand (I feel pretty good about it)

I can't seem to get my wrists/hands positioned right in crow. The left hand always seems to kick out to the side and it kills my wrist. Would using a strap help? To keep my elbows in line? (I think that might be my problem)

It's great reading through this topic. I hope all of you keep this enthusiasm for the rest of your lives. I hope to.

Crow pose, Bakasana

I don't think you want to rely on a strap for this. It's all about strength. In the hands, arms, torso, and even the legs. Start with most of the weight in the feet and gradually shift more and more weight to the hands. The work is to build up the strength to be able to hold the correct alignment. 

sadhamstrings likes this