Meugenio

Meditation Apps

5 posts in this topic

Hey everyone!

Do you know of any good (and possibly free) meditation apps for the iPhone? The only ones I've come across have you read the meditation with music in the background. I'd like to find one that has a narration to guide you through the meditation, where you can listen instead of read.

mimisouth likes this

I'd love to know, too. I tried one (can't remember the name) but the man's voice guiding me made me giggle the whole time. I haven't seen any that blow me away in my brief searches.

YogaByCandace likes this

I have the "Calm' app - free! While it is not deep mediation and I having only used it twice (I used the first 5 minutes to focus and centre when I have been in noisy/distracting places and then continued on my own from), I have kept the app since it gives me alerts. Even if I am out during the day, I like the reminder to breathe. 

Turi likes this

This topic came up for me once before in the Guided Meditations thread in the Meditations section, so I'll cut and paste my answer (sorry for the repetition)!

The Simply Being meditation app is quite good: it's done by the Meditation Oasis people and I've used their guided meditation podcasts for years.  Their style really works for me and I have just about the entire archive downloaded to my phone.

I also rate Insight Timer, because it incorporates both a plain timer for when you want to meditate in silence and also a library of streamable guided meditations, so you can do whatever strikes your fancy at a particular time.

Other apps I like are Breathe and Buddhify.

MrBalloonHands likes this

I have the Smiling Mind app on my Samsung phone which for me works perfectly. It was originally available for the iphone only and here in Australia still regarded as the best mindfulness meditation app.

Not sure if this app is available outside of Australia but it has a young man's Aussie voice guiding you through the meditation as well as music if you want and a timer. It gives you rewards for completing different stages as you progress through the meditations and keeps track of your progress and alerts you to meditate.

You have to register at the website and the links are there to download it from itunes and Play store. Oh yes it's also free.

http://smilingmind.com.au/

Meugenio likes this