Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OceanMinded

How To Add A Forearm Stand To A Vinyasa Flow?

3 posts in this topic

Hey all...

Mostly, when I practice in a studio, I find myself at a vinyasa class. I'm still a ways away from adding a handstand to my flows (and am in awe of the more advanced yogis who pop up into them like it's the easier thing in the world!), but I do have a fairly solid forearm stand.

I'd love to "spice-up" the occasional flow by adding in a forearm stand, similar to the handstanders, but I can't seem to figure out if 1) adding a forearm stand is completely ridiculous... and, 2) if it's not totally ridiculous, I can't seem to figure out how to make it something that actually "flows" from one move to the next.

Anyone have any thoughts?

blueswampmusic likes this

I la-la-love this question cuz I am really into switching it up when I can get the creative juice flowing, haha.

What about instead of going from downward dog and jumping forward, you take your downward dog into dolphin (on the forearms) and then walk your feet forward until you can pop up (or float up?) into forearm stand? From there you can either jump back into plank on the forearms and go through a vinyasa or maybe play around with a pike landing, trying to get your feet as close to your arms as you can so you can find your way into forward fold. Hmmm...

Oh! Another idea! Maybe try going from forearm stand to spreading the legs like a traditional split and then come down w straight legs, rising up into a wide leg forward fold? Kind of like I entered the headstand at the end of this vid (I was in headstand - but relatively same arm positioning, and  you could come out the same way I went in and then that way you'd be at the top of your mat to finish the vinyasa).

OceanMinded likes this

Thanks so much! I tried something similar (downward dog to dolphin to forearm stand) and it will definitely need a few more tries before it flows naturally, but it as really fun! The pike and the wide-legged forward fold hadn't occurred to me at all, and I'm super excited to try both of them out!

YogaByCandace likes this